Pensioner calls on OAPs to give 10% of pension to help the national debt (IT Letter)

afns1

Good to see a pensioner with a bit of perspective and willingness to do their bit:

The Irish Times - Letters

Madam, – I am 70 and receive a State contributory pension of €225.80 per week (a little less than the full rate of €230.30 due to working in the UK for a few years) and a dependent spouse allowance of €206.30 per week, giving a total of €432.10 per week. I also have a very small private pension. Had I stayed in the UK and been entitled to a full contributory pension, I would receive £96.65 (€120) and a dependent allowance of £58.50 (€72), a grand total of €192 per week. In other words, my pension in the UK would be 44 per cent of what I get in Ireland! At 70, under current regulations, I qualify for a medical card, free travel and the household benefits package of free television licence, fuel allowance and telephone line rental.

We, as a nation, are a generous people when it comes to contributing to emergency appeals and worthy causes. As parents and grandparents, let us help our children and grandchildren in a communal way that can and will make a difference to their futures. So we would, therefore, be willing, for the sake of our children and grandchildren, to contribute 10 per cent of our pension and dependent pension allowance towards the repayment of this country’s debt.

This could be a voluntary scheme operating for a period of five years, ie the time schedule already identified by the Government as the period to get our finances in order.

We may think we know who to blame for our current problems, but we need to focus on solutions to our problems rather than debate the causes. – Yours, etc,
<name and address>

Old Irish

Ah jaysus I nearly shed a tear there reading that. Fair play to him. I don't think many pensioners will agree with him though...although I can't be sure??

Pauli

It is one thing voluntarily contributing to a good cause; Pakistan floods, earthquake in Haiti and so on. It is quite another thing to be mugged weekly by a semi-criminal collection of profligate morons who want someone else to clean up the catastrophic mess they created.

greengoose2

We really need this stuff to show how crazy we are. The poor man must be deluded or rather well cosseted by his family.

The pensions that need to be cut first are those of the gougers who are still on a payroll, drawing hefty salaries and perks for doing a lousy job. That sounds like ex government ministers, bankers, high flyers and other divers vermin.

We have, effectively, a feudal system and the silly beggar serfs keep calling for more of the same. That is why FF are laughing at us. Even when we are finally broken the will still be laughing because they will simply go elsewhere with their spoils. And out hearty pensioner can weep, along with his family, wondering where the 10% of his 500 euros went. Working a lifetime to maintain the lords and then baling them out with his extra 50 euros.

inthemire

I didn't think Mary O'Rourke was able to write letters like that...or maybe it's somebody else from FF..

Podolski1.5

Probably a member of the Ahern-Haughey cumann.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
My wife and I as 69 year old OAPs find ourselves having to attend an ever increasing number of funerals here and abroad, as friends and relatives, our age and younger, drop like flies.

The cost is an unforseen expense and drain on our meagre income. This year alone we are talking more than 2 thousand euros after two visits to the UK and one to Galway to witness the burial of a much loved sister-in-law, and a cousin who had donated his body to science.

Then there are funerals of close neighbours. One very old friend died last week.

But will that impress all the Raskalnikov types here? :)

(How many OAP bashing threads are there now?)

TradCat

I get that Maurice but every age group has social expenses. Many young people saddled with mortgages now dread wedding invitations coming through the door. That's the age they are at. At at least with a funeral you don't have to bring a present.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
I get that Maurice but every age group has social expenses. Many young people saddled with mortgages now dread wedding invitations coming through the door. That's the age they are at. At at least with a funeral you don't have to bring a present.
Funerals are outnumbering our wedding invitations. Flowers and wreaths can be expensive. Overnight hotels too.

Yes we OAPs also get wedding invitations. I never worried/worry about them even when I was employed on a low income. We still buy the present but modestly priced and always an unusual and artistic one.

Mitsui2

It is one thing voluntarily contributing to a good cause; Pakistan floods, earthquake in Haiti and so on. It is quite another thing to be mugged weekly by a semi-criminal collection of profligate morons who want someone else to clean up the catastrophic mess they created.
+1

feargach

His heart is in the right place, his head is in crazy town.
His head is just fine.

He is following his logical self-interest.

If Ireland is taken over by the IMF, his pension will be slashed, in real terms, by 50%, when you take into account all the new charges, cuts and taxes they will impose.

He has the good sense to realise that a 10% cut now has the potential to prevent a 50% cut in the near future.

willoughby

Funerals are outnumbering our wedding invitations. Flowers and wreaths can be expensive. Overnight hotels too.

Yes we OAPs also get wedding invitations. I never worried/worry about them even when I was employed on a low income. We still buy the present but modestly priced and always an unusual and artistic one.
His point is Maurice that all age groups have their costs, young people go to funerals too. I have been at quite a few in the last year, a number suicide related but that's for another thread.

I dont think that the OAP should be slashed but I do think that a small cut (in the line €5) should be applied in line with tax increases or the supposed decrease in the cost of living. If nothing it shares the pain a little bit and does show we are all in this together (unless I lose my job and have to emigrate :) in which case your on your own).

willoughby

His head is just fine.

He is following his logical self-interest.

If Ireland is taken over by the IMF, his pension will be slashed, in real terms, by 50%, when you take into account all the new charges, cuts and taxes they will impose.

He has the good sense to realise that a 10% cut now has the potential to prevent a 50% cut in the near future.
The IMF dont apply the cut's, the government still do that. The IMF just make sure enough is cut overall.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
His point is Maurice that all age groups have their costs, young people go to funerals too. I have been at quite a few in the last year, a number suicide related but that's for another thread.

I dont think that the OAP should be slashed but I do think that a small cut (in the line €5) should be applied in line with tax increases or the supposed decrease in the cost of living. If nothing it shares the pain a little bit and does show we are all in this together (unless I lose my job and have to emigrate :) in which case your on your own).
You have that choice to emigrate and possibly increase your income considerably. Go make a fortune in the USA where hard work is appreciated. Then come home like many before you and start a business.

I worked extremely hard most of my life in the UK often earning a pittance, and still sent money home.

I give more than 5 Euros a week to charities.

I doubt young people go to half the amount of funerals we OAPs do. I never went to a funeral till my father died when I was 42.

Gemlarkin

We were never in a postition to afford the pension increases

We were never in a postition to afford the pension increases. They were paid from bubble taxes.

If pensioners are not to have cuts others will have to take extra cuts for them.

Dunlin3

I would be very reluctant to see OAPs who are living alone take a hit. However there are many married OAPs (my parents included) who are receiving a pension each who could well afford a drop of €10 a week between them. In many retired households with two penisons there is more income now than when one of them was working. Given that in most cases their houses are paid for and many other expenses are subsidised (phone etc) it would not be unreasonable for these to take a small hit.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
We were never in a postition to afford the pension increases. They were paid from bubble taxes.

If pensioners are not to have cuts others will have to take extra cuts for them.
The vast majority of people in Ireland have lots of opportunities to make extra cash.

My 49 year old daughter is a part time music teacher, raising three teenage children. She gives private piano lessons and makes art to sell. Her enterprising children purchase bulk confectionary and make a good profit selling stuff at their school.
Her partner is a Ph.D electronics engineer. Outside of his job, he teaches maths for extra cash.

They wouldn't dream of begging from their elderly neighbours.

willoughby

You have that choice to emigrate and possibly increase your income considerably. Go make a fortune in the USA where hard work is appreciated. Then come home like many before you and start a business.

I worked extremely hard most of my life in the UK often earning a pittance, and still sent money home.

I give more than 5 Euros a week to charities.

I doubt young people go to half the amount of funerals we OAPs do. I never went to a funeral till my father died when I was 42.
I was at around 12 in the last year, and I doubt old people go to half the amount of weddings young people do, I currently get more than twice the invitations my mother does and I'd say easily 4 times more than Grannies. I give money to charities, boxes, local clubs.

I would leave my currently poorly paid job (just above min wage) and emigrate except for the fear that I will not be able to return. I also hand a few pound into mother every week to help at home as is proper. I expect to be paying more tax in two months time and think a small cut across the board is only fair. I realise you have worked hard in your life but you are doing better than pensioners were 40 years ago when you were closer my age and things change. My own father will have to work till he is 67 and mother to 68. things chage for every generation, this is the way of life I have learned, it is'nt fair.

A question to you Maurice would you be prepared to take a cut of any amount or do you reckon they should all be found taxing/ cutting others.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies