Pensioners' benefits untouched in budget-reasonable?

patslatt

Assume pensioners average about 72 years of age with most of them passing on in their late 70s,that means they have about 6 years to live.So the fact that their benefits were left intact in the budget while social welfare was cut shouldn't cause resentment.

willoughby

Assume pensioners average about 72 years of age with most of them passing on in their late 70s,that means they have about 6 years to live.So the fact that their benefits were left intact in the budget while social welfare was cut shouldn't cause resentment.
Not that much, but I reckon 5 euro would'nt of killed anyone, if we're all meant to be in this together everyone should take some hit. But nothing to actually detrimentally change someone's lifestyle, paricularly people who cant do anything to earn any extra cash.

Inda Kenny

Brian and Brian are afraid of the grey brigade as they seem to be only one's capable of mustering a decent protest. €4 per week reduction would not have been unreasonable.

sport02

The ballygobackwards politics in this country was responsible for this, hopefully in the next goverment we will see a clear majority so the Father Ted politicans can't hold the country to ransom.

johnfás

Not reasonable. The Government keeps hankering on that everybody has to make a contribution - when it is quite clear that not everybody has to make a contribution. How can you justify no contribution being made by somebody who likely has no mortgage and no dependent children and forcing a contribution by somebody under water with a mortgage with several dependent children in education. Obviously these scenarios do not hold in all instances - but the point remains that everybody should have to make a cotribution. We all know it simply comes down to the grey vote but that does not make it equitable in the slightest.

Social Conscience

Of course it’s not reasonable, in fact if an action for argument sake was to be taken on the current budget into a court of law, the governments action yesterday by ‘protecting’ the old age pensioners would be deemed ageist which of course is discrimination.

However JHR & Noel O'Flynn and their like got what they wanted and despite everything else contained within yesterday's document they voted YES based purely on this matter.

Asparagus

Jackie Healy Rae ensured a bigger reduction in blind pensions, disabled pensions, carers allowances, the unemployed, childrens allowances esp 3 children etc to protect ould lads like himself.
i wonder if a 5 euro deduction across the board would have been more equitable...

Asparagus

Those displayng such obvious meaness here, may not live to see a pension of any kind.

A hardened heart is it's own killer.

We made our contributions direct and indirect when a pound was a pound. Irish or Sterling.
hi Maurice - is it fair that a blind person takes a bigger cut to protect your pension?

johnfás

Those displayng such obvious meaness here, may not live to see a pension of any kind.

We made our contributions direct and indirect when a pound was a pound. Irish or Sterling.
You didn't make your PRSI contributions when a pound was a pound on the basis of an expected accelerated increase in pension provision during the hedonistic days of the Celtic Tiger. I might add that those who are currently on Jobseeker's Benefit also made their PRSI contributions yet face a cut and those who receive Child Benefit also, in the generality, pay income tax and PRSI. You are trying to protect a large section of society, which has a vulnerable subsection but is not as an entire group necessarily vulnerable, from making any contribution simply because of your own mé-féin attitude.

Asparagus

No.

I often contibute to the blind charity. There's no charity for pensioners
Old age is not a disability.

Buit there are plent of charities and quangoes set up for old people who need help.

While i think no pensions should have been touched - the fact that some are but others aren't is pure gombeenery.

Either the load is shared or its not -

extract yourself from the argument and tell me is it fair that the blind, the carers, the widows and the children all had to be targetted with extra decreases to maintain the old age pensioners.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
You didn't make your PRSI contributions when a pound was a pound on the basis of an expected accelerated increase in pension provision during the hedonistic days of the Celtic Tiger. I might add that those who are currently on Jobseeker's Benefit also made their PRSI contributions yet face a cut and those who receive Child Benefit also, in the generality, pay income tax and PRSI. You are trying to protect a large section of society, which has a vulnerable subsection but is not as an entire group necessarily vulnerable, from making any contribution simply because of your own mé-féin attitude.
The present workers and unemployed have a future to improve their incomes and lifestyles. depressions pass.

We pass on. :)

reknaw

Maurice is right. What we have now is a situation where the horse has to live until it gets grass, most have to tighten their belts. It wouldn't be fair to force pensioners to make an extra sacrifice with only death to look forward to in a few years' time.:(

Others, younger people, can get through the lean years and will still be around when, maybe, some fat ones come again.:)

Anyway, they can't touch my pension even if they want to, and I'm glad they haven't touched the Free Travel Pass.;)

Cooperate for freedom

It is true to say that current pensioners made contributions to the state in the past. However, pensions are paid out of current expenditure. So if fact it is the young of Ireland who are paying out the old age pension. Trust me, many OAPs in receipt of the full contributory pension could have well afforded to contribute some reduction in the pension payment.

It certainly would be no harsher than taking money from the blind or carers which the government seem to have no problem doing.

paulp

The present workers and unemployed have a future to improve their incomes and lifestyles. depressions pass.

We pass on. :)
you've hit the nail on the head here Maurice, great solution!

we need to accelerate the passing on bit ;)

showbandmanager

While i have no problem with pensioners being left alone , i hope those same pensioners when they go to vote , will remember that their children , grandchildren , neighbours etc. will be paying their share instead , i hope they remember who caused this and vote accordingly.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies