• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Going to be interesting if there is a court challenge against a fine levied by Gardai for breach of covid-19 restrictions. A court challenge might include the point that regulations were not applied evenly across the country which led to confusion in the communication of restrictions. Therefore it would be a bit harsh to penalise one person and not penalise others, based on a law which was untested and confused in application.

Don't know whether it would float or not in an Irish courtroom but the chances of Clifden being raised in connection with any appeal against fines is probably quite high.

Emily Davison

Going to be interesting if there is a court challenge against a fine levied by Gardai for breach of covid-19 restrictions. A court challenge might include the point that regulations were not applied evenly across the country which led to confusion in the communication of restrictions. Therefore it would be a bit harsh to penalise one person and not penalise others, based on a law which was untested and confused in application.

Don't know whether it would float or not in an Irish courtroom but the chances of Clifden being raised in connection with any appeal against fines is probably quite high.
Are there actual fines in relation to Covid I wonder. Probably a slap on the wrist to the hotel owner. But I’d say there might be a few Hogan defences against phone driving.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The hotel owner is a guy called Sweeney who has a few hotel interests. I had a look back and see that there was a donation made to FF back in 1998 declared on the record.

I shouldn't imagine it unusual for political parties to award functions to hotels where the owner is known to have been a party donor. Book somewhere else and you may not get that donor ever again.

So it's understandable that they may not have wanted to let down a past donor either by cancelling an event. So there could have been that dynamic in play. Interesting that wine from the Dail bar was driven over to the hotel in Clifden. Makes you wonder whether there was a 'corkage' deal involved. That's where you bring your own drink but pay the venue a price per bottle to compensate them for loss of profit at their bar.

There will be all sorts of wrinkles here I suspect.

Emily Davison

Very much doubt the story about the wine is true. Doesn’t make sense. Yes Sweeney is well in with politicians, FF I think. He owns the Shelbourne I think, But the place in Clifton looks awful, maybe the interior is different.

A place like Clifden would have been picked as that’s pretty much lawlessness territory.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Well there was something about the Oireachtas Golf Society that the Ceann Comhairle wanted tucked out of sight pretty fast. Never seen such a swift closure of any kind of organisation- unless it was the sudden shifting of the office of the Financial Regulator under the aegis of the Central Bank in order to keep it all tucked away behind the Central Bank''s normal redoubt of 'commercial confidentiality'.

Very unusual in Ireland for a social club to be shuttered like that and bear in mind this was hard on the heels of the original story breaking, no waiting for reports or resignations or anything- closed it fast.

Which says to me there is a further story there for the intrepid reporters of Eireann, the Emerald Empire.

McTell

Let's remind ourselves what hogan said...

"Like, if they knew I was a European commissioner or a politician, they wouldn't be stopping me. Police were doing their job and doing it very well."

The cabinet were sure this was an internet hoax :rolleyes:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom