People Who Look Vastly different From What You Expect

General Urko

Not referring here to photoshop or make up etc, more things like voice.

I just saw Noel Rock FG T.D. for the first time on Yatesy and Cooper's show and he looka vastly different from what I had expected based on his voice.

And the beard on him is doing him no favours in my opinion, he ain't no hipster and it's hard to believe he's only 30!

Mind you, people say the exact same about me!

But nonetheless, we don't or shouldn't vote for politicians based on the sound of their voice or looks!

Some folk like exactly what they sound like for better or worse- Mike Wallace, DHR and Mattie!

General Urko

And given that he was sitting beside Luke Ming Flanagan, who is about my height, he looked like a giant, in comparison to The Rossie's Finest!

TiredOfBeingTired

You built up an image of them based on their voice.
That is natural.
When you eventually met them or see them on TV, the reality doesn't match your image.
That is natural.

If you are old enough you remember media people, and their voices, who spent most of their careers on radio or as unseen TV commentators.
When you eventually saw them on TV, it was weird.
The voice and the video seemed to mismatch!

Examples, for me:
Clive Everton, the snooker commentator.
Sid Waddell, the darts commentator.

Rachael English is an example of someone I have heard regularly but I have never seen or met.
It would sound strange for me to see or meet her.

I also remember a Scottish Sinatra impersonator who after finishing a song, burst the bubble when he had a few words with his audience.
His accent was definitely Scottish rather than Italian-American.

Getting back to politics, I used to have this idea that Micheal Martin was quite a short man.
When I first saw him in public, I thought he was tall.
The reality is the latter, or possibly somewhere in the middle...

General Urko

I have actually found some senior politicians to be very small in height in real life and may be their involvement in politics was some sort of Napoleon Complex!petunia

General Urko

You built up an image of them based on their voice.
That is natural.
When you eventually met them or see them on TV, the reality doesn't match your image.
That is natural.

If you are old enough you remember media people, and their voices, who spent most of their careers on radio or as unseen TV commentators.
When you eventually saw them on TV, it was weird.
The voice and the video seemed to mismatch!

Examples, for me:
Clive Everton, the snooker commentator.
Sid Waddell, the darts commentator.

Rachael English is an example of someone I have heard regularly but I have never seen or met.
It would sound strange for me to see or meet her.

I also remember a Scottish Sinatra impersonator who after finishing a song, burst the bubble when he had a few words with his audience.
His accent was definitely Scottish rather than Italian-American.

Getting back to politics, I used to have this idea that Micheal Martin was quite a short man.
When I first saw him in public, I thought he was tall.
The reality is the latter, or possibly somewhere in the middle...
Excellent reply!
Of course, rather famously the coming of the talkies in the cinema, put an end to many film acting careers from the silent era, as their voices didn't fit!

General Urko

There's a picture of Rachael -

PBP voter

Matt Carthy is a short arse.

I seen Adams on Dawson St. Id say he is around 6F to 6f 1.

A lot of the shinners are short especially the Nordie ones.

Dame_Enda

Not referring here to photoshop or make up etc, more things like voice.

I just saw Noel Rock FG T.D. for the first time on Yatesy and Cooper's show and he looka vastly different from what I had expected based on his voice.
He's defying ideological stereotypes. He's reclaiming the beard following a 100 yr occupation by the Left. You heard of the Marxist beard? Now its the Blueshirt Beard.

Gin Soaked

Matt Carthy is a short arse.

I seen Adams on Dawson St. Id say he is around 6F to 6f 1.

A lot of the shinners are short especially the Nordie ones.
Sweeping generalisation, but generational poverty stunts growth.

You see this in kids soccer teams from good versus poor areas...

Deprivation is actually visible beyond clothes / accent / verbosity.

redhead

He's defying ideological stereotypes. He's reclaiming the beard following a 100 yr occupation by the Left. You heard of the Marxist beard? Now its the Blueshirt Beard.
Bluebeard? I knew they were a gang of pirates...

General Urko

Sweeping generalisation, but generational poverty stunts growth.

You see this in kids soccer teams from good versus poor areas...

Deprivation is actually visible beyond clothes / accent / verbosity.
The Dutch like to think they are the tallest people in the world, mind you The Czechs would give them a good run. However, the generation that were young during the German Occupation grew up noticeably smaller!

General Urko

I saw Enda Kenny once and although I wasn't that up close to him, he looked quite small!

Mind you, your perceptions of another's height on seeing them can be influenced by your own prejudices!

redhead

I saw Enda Kenny once and although I wasn't that up close to him, he looked quite small!

Mind you, your perceptions of another's height on seeing them can be influenced by your own prejudices!
Jim O'Callaghan must be the tallest politician in Ireland.

I don't know what height he is but he is towering in person, must be at least 6'5", most likely taller.

General Urko

Jim O'Callaghan must be the tallest politician in Ireland.

I don't know what height he is but he is towering in person, must be at least 6'5".
I'd say his sister, future President Miriam, is quite tall also, she certainly has great legs!

General Urko

Botler strikes me from the TV as very tall, he certainly takes up space!
I never saw Leo, Murphy or either of the big Simons, but I would imagine they are quite tall!
I heard Bertie was around 5Ft 11ins, I don't know about Dr. Biffo Cowen!

gerhard dengler

Botler strikes me from the TV as very tall, he certainly takes up space!
I never saw Leo, Murphy or either of the big Simons, but I would imagine they are quite tall!
I heard Bertie was around 5Ft 11ins, I don't know about Dr. Biffo Cowen!
Varadkar is tall and thin. I was in Terminal 2 at Dublin Airport, about three years ago awaiting a flight and was killing time in the newsagents. It was only when I saw the person standing to my left did I realise it was our Minister for Health.

Gin Soaked

The Dutch like to think they are the tallest people in the world, mind you The Czechs would give them a good run. However, the generation that were young during the German Occupation grew up noticeably smaller!
Apparently your height is influenced by your maternal grandmother's nutrition or some such. Gene expression is so complex .

Polybius

Noel Rock is an attention seeking idiot. He's proof that politics is showbiz for ugly people.

New Threads

Most Replies