People who Vote for Dodgy Politicians

Bill D Gallows

After all that has happened to our country and what is yet to come courtesy of the IMF et all, you would think that the Irish electorate will have learned their lesson about what happens when you vote for dodgy politicians.

There are a few that come straight to mind:

Cooper-Flynn
Lowry
O'Donoghue
O'Dea

Those above would normally be shoe-ins, but after everything that has happened, what does it say about people who would vote them back into Leinster House.

Similarly, the same can be said about people who will vote for Cowen and Lenihan, given the catastrophic decision taken by them to give the blanket guarantee to the banks, which is widely regarded as the single biggest mistake made by the Government since this crisis began.

They say you get the politicians you deserve, which I reject.

I didn't vote for any of these people because, like many, I believed they were not fit for public office and voted accordingly.

Will those who voted for such politicians do the same in the upcomig General Election ?

JMcGynty

After all that has happened to our country and what is yet to come courtesy of the IMF et all, you would think that the Irish electorate will have learned their lesson about what happens when you vote for dodgy politicians.

Cooper-Flynn
Lowry
O'Donoghue
O'Dea

Those above would normally be shoe-ins, but after everything that has happened, what does it say about people who would vote them back into Leinster House.

Similarly, the same can be said about people who will vote for Cowen and Lenihan, given the catastrophic decision taken by them to give the blanket guarantee to the banks, which is widely regarded as the single biggest mistake made by the Government since this crisis began.

I didn't vote for any of these people because, like many, I believed they were not fit for public office and voted accordingly.

Will those who voted for such politicians do the same in the upcomig General Election ?[/QU

I think you should have told us what constituency you were in and if you were eligable to vote for any of them because if your not you could not vote for them anyway, and you should also have told us who you did vote for, then we can judge your choice in the same way you judge others choices,

Bill D Gallows

Cooper-Flynn
Lowry
O'Donoghue
O'Dea

Will those who voted for such politicians do the same in the upcomig General Election ?[/QU

I think you should have told us what constituency you were in and if you were eligable to vote for any of them because if your not you could not vote for them anyway, and you should also have told us who you did vote for, then we can judge your choice in the same way you judge others choices,
I voted for the left parties and am in Dublin South West.

As you rightly point out you cant physically vote for all of them, the point is people who vote for the likes of Cooper-Flynn, O'Donoghue, Lowry etc. should be ashamed of themselves.

It is a perversion of our democratic process that allows people like that to be elected to Dail Eireann.

If you applied for a 'regular' job with these people's track records on your CV, you wouldn't get an interview, let alone the job. Yet when it comes to electing our public representatives, people turn a blind eye.

And people like us then have to suffer as a consequence.

JMcGynty

I voted for the left parties and am in Dublin South West.

As you rightly point out you cant physically vote for all of them, the point is people who vote for the likes of Cooper-Flynn, O'Donoghue, Lowry etc. should be ashamed of themselves.

It is a perversion of our democratic process that allows people like that to be elected to Dail Eireann.

If you applied for a 'regular' job with these people's track records on your CV, you wouldn't get an interview, let alone the job. Yet when it comes to electing our public representatives, people turn a blind eye.

And people like us then have to suffer as a consequence.
you did not name the people you voted for, theres a fair few dodgy politicians in the left parties

myhonorisloyalty666

The dynasty politics in this country has to be swept away.

We need a new democratic constitution, we new people who were never involved in politics before to take charge and create a new republic.

I was watching a discussion on Prime Time last night with people like Diarmuid Ferriter and other academics, journalist Eamon Dunphy and the guy who runs Aer Arann who were asking for new leadership.

Why don't they and many more people like them stand for office themselves?

owedtojoy

Cooper-Flynn
Lowry
O'Donoghue
O'Dea

Will those who voted for such politicians do the same in the upcomig General Election ?
A certain Irish mentality says that if you have a slightly dodgy politician in office, he/ she will "make money for all of us".

The logic is

- A dodgy politician must be smarter than the rest of us.
- Therefore they must be smarter than TDs from other constituencies.
- Therefore they will "win" the zero-sum game of gaining benefits for us to which we are not entitled.

Electing a dodgy politician should be seen for what it is ... a "beggar my neighbour" philosophy of thieving from the national purse. It is the equivalent to selling your vote for bribes.

The excuse "We didn't know" is disinengenuous. Everyone knew Ray Burke was on the take. He was admired because he had prevented public exposure of his crimes. Similarly for Haughey. Other put on the "local hero" football jersey, and fool the rubes that way.

sligolake

We need a new democratic constitution, we new people who were never involved in politics before to take charge and create a new republic.

I was watching a discussion on Prime Time last night with people like Diarmuid Ferriter and other academics, journalist Eamon Dunphy and the guy who runs Aer Arann who were asking for new leadership.

A lot of parties are advocating candidate gender quotas next time. Reckon, in time, this will make politics accessable to a lot more women and men from different backgrounds. A step in the right direction hopefully

JMcGynty

Too much work and commitment involved and it could take a long time to get established as a majority party, that is why they dont run themselves, and its much easier to criticise while
sitting on a fence

myhonorisloyalty666

Too much work and commitment involved and it could take a long time to get established as a majority party, that is why they dont run themselves, and its much easier to criticise while
sitting on a fence
Well that is not good enough anymore.

That is precisely what has led to the current impasse.

We have let the monkeys take over the zoo.

Bill D Gallows

you did not name the people you voted for, theres a fair few dodgy politicians in the left parties
Rabbitte, Crowe, Murphy etc..

BTW, we have our own Roll of Shame here. We had Charlie O'Connor spouting for months about how those on social welfare needed to be protected, then went in last year to vote for cuts in said social welfare.

We have the highest unemployment rate I think in Ireland, so O'Connor speaking out of both sides of his mouth is something we will hopefully address at the next election.

sligolake

Cooper-Flynn
Lowry
O'Donoghue
O'Dea

Hard to know...these people work full time on their profile...The usual slant they use is that they are loyal locals and persecuted by bigwigs in big parties and in Dublin where ther real corruption lies......As they are often able to deliver locally (high stroke pulling networks and ability) people tend to turn a blind eye or belive them.

Leadership needs to come from Dail Eireann. TDs need to be parliamentarians, not powerful councillors.
If a TD is primarily a parliamentarian, gouchos dont get in.

The majority arent parliamentarians (they are constituency oriented) so see no need to make the reforms.
Were in a rut.

JMcGynty

Rabbitte, Crowe, Murphy etc..

BTW, we have our own Roll of Shame here. We had Charlie O'Connor spouting for months about how those on social welfare needed to be protected, then went in last year to vote for cuts in said social welfare.

We have the highest unemployment rate I think in Ireland, so O'Connor speaking out of both sides of his mouth is something we will hopefully address at the next election.
How many parties has pat rabbit been involved with, some of them parties have very shady pasts and i still dont trust any of them democratic left guys, sinn feinn support terrorist activities, example= robert mcartney's murderers, and murphy, well i'd wonder why 40,000 people did not give him a vote in that constutuency last time, they cant all be wrong,

NewGoldDream

Website
-

Cooper-Flynn
Lowry
O'Donoghue
O'Dea
Emmett Stagg.
Come on, let's not whitewash the wrongs on all sides and pretend that merely screwing expenses is up there with the worst thing someone can do.

Martin Ferris.
Hmmm, which is worse, 5 star hotel treatment or importing explosives to blow people apart?

Kathleen Lynch
Writing letters to defend those up for rape. Bad idea to win one vote Kathleen.

Tony Killeen
Another letter writer.

Frank Fahey
For merely being odious.

Sync

/MOD/ 2 posts have been removed from this thread. Please review the T&C you signed up to when registering on this board. You are responsible for what you write here. /MOD/

A New Ireland

I think outside people need to be brought in, too bring in the changes the Irish npeople wish for? We cant do it ourselves unless we Revolt completley, that will not be good for our economy. They wont change and wont listen to their Bosses!

Social Conscience

Timmy Dooley should be added in here as well - reason been for standing for nothing and then everything when he is told so by the big 'bosses'.

JMcGynty

I guess he did not realise if he did Bill D Gallows he would have to start hanging the dodgy people on the left first as he would know more about them, well he should know more about them if he supports shouldnt he ?

Last edited:

Aristodemus

Lowry is out on his own in this thread. That's not to suggest the others are not bad, just that he is the worst. As for the notion of these people being rejected by the electorate, forget it. I have heard individuals myself saying they will never vote FF again but then singling out their local FF deputy and saying that he is a good man and will still get a vote

New Threads