• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

People with IQ around 60 are "carrots": Mensa spokesperson

Shqiptar

As if proof were needed that a high "Intelligence Quotient" has nothing to do with wisdom, a Mensa UK spokesperson has provoked outrage from learning disability groups by stating that "if your IQ is somewhere around 60 then you are probably a carrot".

The BBC was forced to issue an apology after Peter Bainbridge made his remarks during a live interview. Bainbridge did also issue an apology. One outraged viewer who has a learning disability contacted the show to point out how those in her situation can achieve a lot in life; she is living independently and holding down a full time job.

To what extent is IQ a predictor of success in life? One nephew of mine has a very high IQ but got a mediocre Leaving Cert and now at 21 is drifting from one pointless college course to another. His supposedly less gifted peers are meanwhile nearing graduation from degree courses.

And what is Mensa? I've seen their literature in the past and how they desribe themselves "elite but not elitist". Is it really a club for the highly intelligent or just a bunch of people who are good at doing Mensa puzzles?

Sources:
1.BBC has to apologise as guest from Mensa labels people with an IQ of 60 'carrots' on live Breakfast show | Mail Online
2.BBC say sorry for Mensa 'carrot' jibe - UK - News - London Evening Standard
3.British Mensa apologizes for Peter Baimbridge's IQ comment - UPI.com
4.IQ tests are 'unreliable' measure - Telegraph

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Is there anything more boring than a person who announces their IQ or tells how they are/could be in Mensa? Better to wear a hat saying "I am insecure".

OCicero

So if a person of 60 IQ is a carrot is a Mensa member of 150 IQ a Sweet Potato?

McTell

Twitter
No
... a carrot and not a ginge?

flavirostris

Fairly smart carrot though. With an IQ of 60. Would definitely be able to outwit a turnip.

Prester Jim

As if proof were needed that a high "Intelligence Quotient" has nothing to do with wisdom, a Mensa UK spokesperson has provoked outrage from learning disability groups by stating that "if your IQ is somewhere around 60 then you are probably a carrot".

The BBC was forced to issue an apology after Peter Bainbridge made his remarks during a live interview. Bainbridge did also issue an apology. One outraged viewer who has a learning disability contacted the show to point out how those in her situation can achieve a lot in life; she is living independently and holding down a full time job.

To what extent is IQ a predictor of success in life? One nephew of mine has a very high IQ but got a mediocre Leaving Cert and now at 21 is drifting from one pointless college course to another. His supposedly less gifted peers are meanwhile nearing graduation from degree courses.

And what is Mensa? I've seen their literature in the past and how they desribe themselves "elite but not elitist". Is it really a club for the highly intelligent or just a bunch of people who are good at doing Mensa puzzles?

Sources:
1.BBC has to apologise as guest from Mensa labels people with an IQ of 60 'carrots' on live Breakfast show | Mail Online
2.BBC say sorry for Mensa 'carrot' jibe - UK - News - London Evening Standard
3.British Mensa apologizes for Peter Baimbridge's IQ comment - UPI.com
4.IQ tests are 'unreliable' measure - Telegraph
They are a half decent guide to someone's intelligence in certain areas but not a good guide for others.
There are a number of other factors that play large roles in the likelihood of success; peer group, parents motivation and education and just plain chance to name but a few.
I know the general iq of most of the kids I work with but often the most personable and easy to work with are average or below in IQ, they will do well one way or the other in life.

Shqiptar

Shqiptar

They are a half decent guide to someone's intelligence in certain areas but not a good guide for others.
There are a number of other factors that play large roles in the likelihood of success; peer group, parents motivation and education and just plain chance to name but a few.
I know the general iq of most of the kids I work with but often the most personable and easy to work with are average or below in IQ, they will do well one way or the other in life.
They do say that the ones who get As end up working for the ones who get Cs.

And a high IQ is far from being a guarantee of an A.

Hitch 22

Hard work, determination, empathy, enthusiasm, a friendly and positive disposition, confidence, charm and courage are the keys to success in life which I believed is measured in general level of a contentment.
Intelligence is a help but not everything.

momentimori

An IQ of 60 is significantly below that for mental disability. People with IQ at that level need society's support not derision and ridicule; especially from that who do know better.

GDPR

Hard work, determination, empathy, enthusiasm, a friendly and positive disposition, confidence, charm and courage are the keys to success in life which I believed is measured in general level of a contentment rather than wealth or power.
It would seem that you're completely f**ked so, although hard work and determination may save you yet.

flavirostris

GDPR

I never tried for A's myself, it bespeaks of a work ethic that I always found distasteful.

Prester Jim

Yup and I can easily see how that would happen.
Over thinking can lead to hesitation, over sensitivity can lead to weak decision making and a few very clever people live too much in their own heads; none of this is conducive to success in the world of work (outside of a few niches).

Prester Jim

Isn't it said that individuals who see the world too clearly and understand their own and others motivations without the veil of self delusion and a self induced fairy tale sheen on life are often depressive?
Happy go lucky, hard workers with an ability to drive through life (and over other people) without much thought are holding a considerable advantage: sort of an unthinking but well meaning psychopathy.

Cai

Fairly smart carrot though. With an IQ of 60. Would definitely be able to outwit a turnip.
I wouldn't be so sure about that, them turnips have more about them than you'd think. Many's the time that I've been outwitted by a turnip.

OCicero

I wouldn't be so sure about that, them turnips have more about them than you'd think. Many's the time that I've been outwitted by a turnip.
Then there's the Triffids. They were smart.

flavirostris

Then there's the Triffids. They were smart.
I could never touch celery after Day of the Triffids. Kept hearing that awful knocking noise and half-expecting a wallop of a tendril across the face.