Per Mary Robinson, leaving the presidency early was a mistake.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0210/851574-robinson-presidency-mccormack/

She left the office of president in September 1997 to take up the role of UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.

Her move to the UN happened, she said, because she allowed Kofi Annan, former secretary general of the United Nations, to "bully" her into the decision.

"I did want to be High Commissioner for Human Rights when I decided to step down. I then made the mistake, and that was a mistake, of allowing Kofi Anna (sic) to, sort of, bully me into coming earlier and not seeing out the last month-and-a-half, or whatever it was, of my presidency,” Mrs Robinson said.
I have always been strongly of the view that she failed to carry through on her promise to the people and that it was a grossly disrespectful thing for her to do. Now she seems to be trying to mitigate her failure by dragging Kofi "Anna" into it.

BTW, why was the earlier thread on this removed?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Merged, methinks.

ne0ica

She has grown on me with age. I find her hell of a lot less arrogant than our national self appointed theologian and chief McAleese. And of course the present incumbent who spends his days making speeches quoting dead East German and Communist philosophers and believes that Cuba provides us with an 'alternative model'

Merged, methinks.
I don't think so. One of my posts in it was liked and it is entirely missing when I search for it in the list of likes. If a merge had taken place I'd still be able to see the post.

A REASON

I don't think so. One of my posts in it was liked and it is entirely missing when I search for it in the list of likes. If a merge had taken place I'd still be able to see the post.
What kind of freak would like one of your posts?

realistic1

Wagmore

Typical Lib BS--everything can be explained away---it was the bully that made me do it. Self-promoting bint has a short memory.She was telling us last week that Trump was a bully and something along the lines of "bullies need to be stood up to." Except when they"re crossing your palm with the opportunity for more wonga and status I guess. Come dance with me in Ireland my hoop.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Then unknown. There is another MR thread tho. Possible mod oversight.

Congalltee

I respectfully disagree with her. It was a great honour for Ireland she was selected as High Commissioner and a few months in the presidency would make no difference. Her period in office coincided with great social and economic change. Her mandate was complete.

Those who whinge about a few months, hate her because she's an intelligent articulate woman,

Bea C

I have always been strongly of the view that she failed to carry through on her promise to the people and that it was a grossly disrespectful thing for her to do. Now she seems to be trying to mitigate her failure by dragging Kofi "Anna" into it.

I dunno!
I logged on, got a quote notification from you, clicked on it and was denied access?

Disillusioned democrat

I respectfully disagree with her. It was a great honour for Ireland she was selected as High Commissioner and a few months in the presidency would make no difference. Her period in office coincided with great social and economic change. Her mandate was complete.

Those who whinge about a few months, hate her because she's an intelligent articulate woman,
Thanks for setting me straight on that....I always assumed I hated her because she was a self-serving leech who liked to preach down to people. I guess now I better start hating my wife too, because she's an intelligent, articulate woman!

Congalltee

Thanks for setting me straight on that....I always assumed I hated her because she was a self-serving leech who liked to preach down to people. I guess now I better start hating my wife too, because she's an intelligent, articulate woman!
You're welcome.
Btw ask your wife what she thinks of a promotion 20 years ago which had no impact on your life.

ne0ica

I really found it strange in the 1990's the cult personalty surrounding her. For example Hillary came to a town near me to open a community center back in the 80's. Made a nice speech, shook a few hands. He seemed like a decent sort of chap. Then during the 90's Robo came to my town and it was like the dear Leader had visited. Even Pravda covered it.

Disillusioned democrat

I really found it strange in the 1990's the cult personalty surrounding her. For example Hillary came to a town near me to open a community center back in the 80's. Made a nice speech, shook a few hands. He seemed like a decent sort of chap. Then during the 90's Robo came to my town and it was like the dear Leader had visited. Even Pravda covered it.
She was one of the first to figure out the whole 'meeja thing.

Gin Soaked

Wonder would she think we'd give her a victory lap?

Otherwise why say you were bullied into taking a worldwide high profile job?

Pathetic...

Trainwreck

What sort of havoc did she think she could reek in 6 extra weeks?

That is a strange thing to say, admittedly from a very strange woman.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies