Performance Issues - Upgrade Update

Baron von Biffo

I don't think there are any other reports of this, but that does not mean that there wont be. I have had similar problems on other websites before and used the zoom out function in my browser.

I've no doubt it will be solved though.
When logged on (Firefox or Chrome) my Search box is replaced by the Alerts icon. I view the site at 160% but even reducing it to 70% doesn't reveal the Search box.

Clicking the Forums tab brings up a 'Quick search' box immediately above the page numbers. It's quite difficult to see because it's very low contrast.

rainmaker

Administrator
When logged on (Firefox or Chrome) my Search box is replaced by the Alerts icon. I view the site at 160% but even reducing it to 70% doesn't reveal the Search box.

Clicking the Forums tab brings up a 'Quick search' box immediately above the page numbers. It's quite difficult to see because it's very low contrast.
I'm sure the techs will figure it out.

Emily Davison

Actually that's also my issue.

So:

Logged out: Login, Register, Q Search
Logged in: Avatar, user name, Inbox, Bell, Alerts

Emily Davison

The brit terrorist supporting mod has banned me from numerous threads and is deleting all my posts!
Not sure who you mean but you might be getting deleted for your 'colourful' language. Just sayin.

Tech Support

Administrator
I realise now that Techie thought this meant the issue was resolved. What I means in that post is just that I logged onto a different device but not that the problem was resolved.

I have figured out the issue is that whether on an ipad or computer if I'm logged in the Search box disappears. I believe it's because my user name is long and pushes the boxes/icons to the right.
That should not happen since the style is responsive - it should stretch or shrink according to the screen width.

Are you using any "accessibility" or personalization features like large fonts or that sort of thing?

Also what browser do you use?

Tech Support

Administrator

Is this also on a mobile device? A tablet or smart phone?

Tech Support

Administrator
Hi Emily, I am not one of the technical people so I don't know if this will help much but, in the very bottom left hand corner of the page there are two symbols.

One is a paint brush icon that will change your default skin, and there is another called 'width' which will adjust the page width slightly - might be worth a try.
thanks. I found those buttons but the change was miniscule and made no difference. Surely I can not be the sole user with this issue.
I've increased the effect of that width button. Does that help at all now?

jmcc

There seems to be an uptick in spam accounts (latest appears to be a licence spam) getting through.

Tech Support

Administrator
It's on a desktop running Windows 10.

I don't do anything online with my phone because I have to zoom so much to see it that it becomes too clunky to be practical.
The problem is that I cannot replicate this on my desktop. I can zoom all the way out to 300% and at some point the label "Search" disappears but the magnifying glass icon for search remains.

Tech Support

Administrator
I have the same problem with mobile: I cannot replicate the problem you are having either on an iPad in either vertical or horizontal display, or on an iPhone 8+. Again, depending on the viewport size, the label "Search" disappears but the magnifying icon for search remains.

As a workaround, if you scroll to the top of the page and tap Forums, can you see the Search Forums option in the subnavigation row?

search-forums-in-sub-nav.png

Tech Support

Administrator

Baron von Biffo

I have the same problem with mobile: I cannot replicate the problem you are having either on an iPad in either vertical or horizontal display, or on an iPhone 8+. Again, depending on the viewport size, the label "Search" disappears but the magnifying icon for search remains.

As a workaround, if you scroll to the top of the page and tap Forums, can you see the Search Forums option in the subnavigation row?

View attachment 1913
I don't have that option. This is a screen grab at 100%.
Search-forums.png

You may be able to see the very faint 'Quick search' box that I referred to earlier just above 'News discussion'.

Tech Support

Administrator
I don't have that option. This is a screen grab at 100%.
View attachment 1914

You may be able to see the very faint 'Quick search' box that I referred to earlier just above 'News discussion'.
Yes, Quick search is a different unrelated thing requested by another user...

But I've just noticed something odd in your screen shot:

search-on-desktop-baron.png

Those gray bars are chopping off part of your display. They shouldn't be there. What browser is that?

Tech Support

Administrator
OK. Please try this for me:

I have temporarily enabled the default Xenforo style (this has no customizations so it won't look exactly the same).

Please select that style from the bottom left of the page.

Does that correct the problem of the missing search icon?

Baron von Biffo

Yes, Quick search is a different unrelated thing requested by another user...

But I've just noticed something odd in your screen shot:

View attachment 1915

Those gray bars are chopping off part of your display. They shouldn't be there. What browser is that?
The screen shot is Firefox but the Chrome is the same.

You'll note that the top line of the page extends the full width of the screen but everything beneath it is narrower. Only when the screen is zoomed to 120% do those bars disappear.