• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Personal Alarms for the Elderly.

firefly123

They are not just for burglars. We get called out regularly to people who have falls and hit the panic alarm around their neck. We also get called to people who don't have one and end up lying on the ground for 24 hours until found. We once got a lady in her 80s who was lying there for nearly 3 days until found. These devices save lives and it's a bloody disgrace that they are cut!

Levellers

Easy targets for a government who are still bending over for rich folk to stick it to them.

D

Dylan2010

they are also for medical issues, falls etc. I dont see what the big deal is, they only cost a couple of hundred euros so I dont get the whining over who gets them for free.

bonkers

they are also for medical issues, falls etc. I dont see what the big deal is, they only cost a couple of hundred euros so I dont get the whining over who gets them for free.
That really doesn't surprise me with you.

bonkers

answer my question, I have parents in that situation but I dont expect the HSE to pay for every little gadget they need.
I'm really glad that your parents can afford to pay for this "little gadget". There are a lot of elderly people who cannot afford it and they need help. It's a very cost effective service and it saves many lives, if you can't see that I'm sorry for you.

Iphonista

I watched Dole Cheaters on TV3 last night. We're losing hundreds of millions that way. Why don't they target welfare fraudsters instead of hitting the vulnerable?

truthisfree

I'm really glad that your parents can afford to pay for this "little gadget". There are a lot of elderly people who cannot afford it and they need help. It's a very cost effective service and it saves many lives, if you can't see that I'm sorry for you.
I feel sorry for his parents.,,..

D

Dylan2010

fine, means test it then, my experience though is that the majority of old people have family in the background that can also help but are happy to let the HSE do their job. I'd prefer to see the money spent so that when you bring an old person into A&E with a suspected fracture( as I have had to do) they are not left in a chair for two hours.

elliebee

answer my question, I have parents in that situation but I dont expect the HSE to pay for every little gadget they need.
Well good for you. However, there are many children of elderly parents who havn't a cent to scratch themselves with these days and well you know it.

We live in a society where our elderly are supposed to matter to us as citizens and to our government. They have been encouraged for years to remain in their homes and assured the system would support them in doing so. I have absolutely no problem with my taxes being used to lend some comfort to anyone suffering from fear, lonliness or illhealth. I do however have a huge problem knowing my taxes are being used to pay for new mobile phones, laptops etc. etc. etc. etc. for politicians.

As a matter of interest does anybody know if any allowances for politicians have been cut in recent years, and I'm not talking about expenses being gigged around in an attempt to fool the electorate either.

ger12

Is it now to be means tested perhaps?

I agree that these devices are essential in assisting people to stay living at home.

Cynicist

I watched Dole Cheaters on TV3 last night. We're losing hundreds of millions that way. Why don't they target welfare fraudsters instead of hitting the vulnerable?
The cost would not be noticed if taken out of the Overseas Aid budget where money is dispensed on a wing and a prayer.

bonkers

fine, means test it then, my experience though is that the majority of old people have family in the background that can also help but are happy to let the HSE do their job. I'd prefer to see the money spent so that when you bring an old person into A&E with a suspected fracture( as I have had to do) they are not left in a chair for two hours.
The problem is that if an elderly person falls over and has no way of contacting anyone it won't be a&e that will be dealing with them. These "gadgets" are vital to allow people to stay in their own homes. It's a very mean spirited cut when you consider that we have county managers who "earn" more than many world leaders.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.politicalworld.org
The problem is that if an elderly person falls over and has no way of contacting anyone it won't be a&e that will be dealing with them. These "gadgets" are vital to allow people to stay in their own homes. It's a very mean spirited cut when you consider that we have county managers who "earn" more than many world leaders.
I agree.

Personal alarms are a means of elderly and frail people 'feeling' secure in isolated areas.

Here in Swords we have helpful neighbours nearby and can summon help easily enough.

Suttree

You make it sound like we're buying them iPads.

mickterry

Seems like a good idea to me. It will only effect the elderly that are poor and they are a great burden on the limited resources of the state. Thus if they do the decent thing and die, its a win win situation all round.