Peter Hain = Pro Sinn Féin?

DOD

Given that Peter Hain was involved in pro-republican campaign groups in the 1980s, has Tony Blair just appointed the most pro- republican secretary of state ever? If so, how long will he last?

Trefor

Website
oclmenai.blogspot.com
DOD said:
Given that Peter Hain was involved in pro-republican campaign groups in the 1980s, has Tony Blair just appointed the most pro- republican secretary of state ever? If so, how long will he last?
He's rabidly anti nationalist in Wales.

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
DOD said:
What pro-republican campaigns in the 80s?

He was also if memory serves me the head of the Liberal Youths in the 70s, but I also fail to see how that would be relevant to his current views today.

He would however be well able to point out the fallacy of the Apartheid comparision beloved of some in NI however.

Bogwarrior

Not really, when you consider Jack Straw and John Reid were once in the " Revolutionary Party of Britain", and were pro communist. People change, especially careerist politicians. I mean look at how much your party has changed since the 80's. BTW, can you be Secretary of State and Republican at the same time.?I'd think not.

Trefor

Website
oclmenai.blogspot.com
He's Seceretary of State for Wales as well as the North. The former job involves doing very little.

thegeneral

Trefor said:
He's Seceretary of State for Wales as well as the North. The former job involves doing very little.
:D Yeah I was surprised at his vitriol against nationalists after the 03 assembly elections in Wales. Now with his journey to the right along with the rest of the senior new labour heads I doubt he'll change the British position.

Jim84

DOD said:
And the late 90's ... he only stopped commenting on N. Ireland when he got into the cabinet

Just after the Canary Wharf bombing he signed a message to the SF conference.

Just Jack

Peter the Provo Hain, I've heard it all now :lol:

Sinn Hain/IRA :lol:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies