Peter Hart dies.

God Rest him. I saw him speak at UCC once, about 9 years ago, I thought the locals who came to listen would lynch him, they were massively hostile. His approach was massively flawed, he essentially equated attacks on unionists or informers with sectarianism, which is simply untrue (not to say there wasn't sectarianism, just that there wasn't THAT much)...

merle haggard

God Rest him. I saw him speak at UCC once, about 9 years ago, I thought the locals who came to listen would lynch him, they were massively hostile. His approach was massively flawed, he essentially equated attacks on unionists or informers with sectarianism, which is simply untrue (not to say there wasn't sectarianism, just that there wasn't THAT much)...
those flaws were minor compared to the actual basis for many of his claims , namely anonymous sources he refused to furnish but insisted he'd interviewed . Despite the fact that all physical witnesses were long dead . That glaring abnormality which he was completely unable to explain in any satisfactory manner was the source of much anger . It left him without any credibility in my opinion and cast serious doubt over his entire motivation and therefore honesty .

Fir Bolg

The man was a charlatan and anybody with even a half baked clue about Irish history should be able to spot that a mile away. He done no service to Irish history except cause controversy without any evidence to back it up.

Jack White

Weird how poisonous the first few posts are here, considering he was just a scribbler.

Far more odious creeps have passed on, and we get the usual ''ar dheis De...'', ''my condolences...'', ''won't someone think of the family who might be reading this...'' platitudinous bullschittology.

Agree he had huge question marks over his mehodology and reputation. But plenty of fellow scribblers handled him on that score.

I just don't get the imbalance ?

b.a. baracus

Eoghan Harris will be in mourning today and any day that cretin spends miserable is a good one in my eyes.

former wesleyan

The man was a charlatan and anybody with even a half baked clue about Irish history should be able to spot that a mile away. He done no service to Irish history except cause controversy without any evidence to back it up.
What evidence is there to back up the self-eulogising histories which existed up untill his appearance? " My days in...." stuff!

Tomas Mor

Ar dheis Dé go raibh sé. He was a good researcher and did excellent work in exposing Cork's bloody secrets. Some characters will never forgive him for saying that shooting of old men, some bed ridden, blind,etc as well as young boys like young Nagle was not an act of patriotism, but sheer sectarianism. Those victims had one thing in common they were all Protestants. Also the shooting of a decent saintly man as he returned to his rectory late at night, Rev. Harbord was his name.

Most of the posts here are revolting and show what a sad state of mind many have, most of them typical of the Aubane BICO mind. Hart put a lot of our native intellectual academics to shame- they were too lazy or too incompetent to discover the truth.

b.a. baracus

Ar dheis Dé go raibh sé. He was a good researcher and did excellent work in exposing Cork's bloody secrets. Some characters will never forgive him for saying that shooting of old men, some bed ridden, blind,etc as well as young boys like young Nagle was not an act of patriotism, but sheer sectarianism. Those victims had one thing in common they were all Protestants. Also the shooting of a decent saintly man as he returned to his rectory late at night, Rev. Harbord was his name.

Most of the posts here are revolting and show what a sad state of mind many have, most of them typical of the Aubane BICO mind. Hart put a lot of our native intellectual academics to shame- they were too lazy or too incompetent to discover the truth.
Would you ever get a grip. Hart was a complete charlatan. The Aubane BICO sect may have been among his more vocal opponents but there were plenty of more sane rational individuals who disagreed with the pap he presented as "history". Anyway discussion on Hart has been done many times on this site.

diy01

Does him being Canadian have anything to do with it? Would there have been even more uproar if he had been Irish?

john scott

Very sorry to hear of the death of Peter Hart. He touched a very raw nerve on what happened in Cork during the War of Independence. And it wasn't just in Cork that such thing happened. War is a dirty business and the people who fight on both sides are rarely saints. That is not to say that they are not very brave and many laid down their lives for the cause.

diy01

What are people's thoughts on his book on Collins? 'Mick: The Real Michael Collins' certainly contained an extraordinary amount of sources and footnotes, as well as taking a very unromantic view of the man.

Catalpa

RIP Mr Hart

Can't say I ever read any of his tomes cover to cover but I did read his articles in History Ireland

He certainly knew how to stir the pot by all acccounts but whether he made any lasting impact only time will tell....

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
There are many who would (still) try to sweep these events under the carpet, more who would try to paint over the obviously sectarian nature of Irish nationalism of the time (and since). Hart has done a very good job of providing balance in the key years of Irish history and for that we all owe him a giant debt.

I wouldn't be overly upset by he rant of the usual suspects. The fact that they bothered to take to effort to post this rubbish is in itself a minor testament to the power of Hart's writing and the excellent job he did in revealing the truth.

b.a. baracus

There are many who would (still) try to sweep these events under the carpet, more who would try to paint over the obviously sectarian nature of Irish nationalism of the time (and since). Hart has done a very good job of providing balance in the key years of Irish history and for that we all owe him a giant debt.

I wouldn't be overly upset by he rant of the usual suspects. The fact that they bothered to take to effort to post this rubbish is in itself a minor testament to the power of Hart's writing and the excellent job he did in revealing the truth.
Speaking of usual suspects it is no surprise to see you showing up.

As for Hart revealing the truth - :lol:.

He must have held a seance to interview participants in the Kilmicheal ambush in 1989 when they were all dead. Never mind his wonderful use of selective quotations and reliance on British propaganda as "sources".

Banshee

Speaking of usual suspects it is no surprise to see you showing up.

As for Hart revealing the truth - :lol:.

He must have held a seance to interview participants in the Kilmicheal ambush in 1989 when they were all dead. Never mind his wonderful use of selective quotations and reliance on British propaganda as "sources".
:lol::lol: Indeed B.A. The Eurovision troll Keith Mills "anything Anti-Republican or even Anti-Irish is correct, no matter how outlandish" seems to think that his blatant bitter hate is not obvious to all! The same nonsense in all of his posts.

We should give him a break though because he's probaly still hurting from England and France going out of the World Cup and England doing so poorly in the Eurovision!

And he calls Nationalists "Sectarian"!!!

New Threads

Most Replies