• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Peter Mathews (FG TD) calls for Property Tax to be scrapped via Supplementary Budget

ShoutingIsLeadership

How long more can Peter Mathews last in FG?

Fine Gael's Peter Mathews calls for emergency Budget to scrap property tax - Independent.ie

A FINE Gael TD says there should be an emergency Budget to scrap the property tax being planned by his own party.

Outspoken Dublin South deputy Peter Mathews has instead said the money can be made up through a 2.5pc levy on corporation profits, a betting tax and a levy on income over €120,000.
Is this just hot air from Mathews? Will he face sanction from the party, or will he just be ignored?

“Let’s take a bigger step after some deep thinking,” Mr Mathews said. “Could we dare to be courageous to bring in a supplementary budget that might park the property tax and bring in three other strands of revenue creation..."

sport02

He also wanted a few months ago a wealth tax examined.
Anybody know any vacancies going in SF.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Is this motivated by his being in a constituency which is going to be hit relatively harder by the tax?

Socratus O' Pericles

How long more can Peter Mathews last in FG?

Fine Gael's Peter Mathews calls for emergency Budget to scrap property tax - Independent.ie

Is this just hot air from Mathews? Will he face sanction from the party, or will he just be ignored?
I agree with him on this but the Bruton wing would never let their constituency be taxed in such an unfeeling manner. I mean all the high earners,the bookies and the MNCs <shrill> MIGHT LRAVE-EXACTLY LIKE FRANCE <shrill> and then wealth would ber destroyed -destroyed -I tells ya.

Peter the socalist eh?

Clanrickard

ShoutingIsLeadership

I agree with him on this but the Bruton wing would never let their constituency be taxed in such an unfeeling manner. I mean all the high earners,the bookies and the MNCs <shrill> MIGHT LRAVE-EXACTLY LIKE FRANCE <shrill> and then wealth would ber destroyed -destroyed -I tells ya.

Peter the socalist eh?
All those appearances on Vinny Browne's programme have rubbed off on him

harshreality

He also wanted a few months ago a wealth tax examined.
Anybody know any vacancies going in SF.
I don't know if you are joking or not but it looks as if he would fit in better in that SF.

This, along with his performances on Vincent Brown, shows how he disagrees with party policy on far too many issues to remain in FG.

ShoutingIsLeadership

He is turning into Dublin's answer to Mattie McGrath. Blueshirts in South Dublin must be feeling the heat on this.
I think he is right to argue the timing of this tax is wrong, but some of the replacement taxes he proposes seem impractical.

Socratus O' Pericles

I wonder how long it'l lbe before Olivia & Mary bail in behind him?

B

Boggle

Any chance we could place a hefty levy on advertising, increasing in scale the more you advertise?
Would raise some serious money and discourage companies from advertising too much.

We could also consider taking a leaf out of America's book and taxing and legalising cannabis. I reckon there is serious money to be made from the product itself and through increased tourism (been to Amsterdam and their tourism is there for the taking). We would also save money wasted on enforcing and prosecuting this daft crime, keep kids away from criminals and hopefully kill off the gateway effect. It would also generate employment in growing and selling. We would also save money on the dole from people who couldn't be arsed working since they make plenty between the dole and illegal sales.
We'd want to ban all marketing and take steps to stop big business from getting involved but it would be win/win imo.
===============================================================

Either of these suggestions would be less harmful and probably more beneficial than a property tax as neither would impact on us as one effects big business and the otehr takes existing money from the black economy and makes it useful.

Socratus O' Pericles

Any chance we could place a hefty levy on advertising, increasing in scale the more you advertise?
Would raise some serious money and discourage companies from advertising too much.

We could also consider taking a leaf out of America's book and taxing and legalising cannabis. I reckon there is serious money to be made from the product itself and through increased tourism (been to Amsterdam and their tourism is there for the taking). We would also save money wasted on enforcing and prosecuting this daft crime, keep kids away from criminals and hopefully kill off the gateway effect. It would also generate employment in growing and selling. We would also save money on the dole from people who couldn't be arsed working since they make plenty between the dole and illegal sales.
We'd want to ban all marketing and take steps to stop big business from getting involved but it would be win/win imo.
===============================================================

Either of these suggestions would be less harmful and probably more beneficial than a property tax as neither would impact on us as one effects big business and the otehr takes existing money from the black economy and makes it useful.
Yeah mon!

harshreality

MMO'C -Dun Laoghaire's fines--except you never hear a peep from her.
Ah of course, sorry forgot about her.

She drove down some stairs and was called Miss Piggy by Ming & Mick other than that I have not really heard much about her.

Surprised she didn't get stuck in the lift the other day:)