• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Peter Mathews - Get up off your Arse and form a new Party!

ruserious

I have to say, Mr Mathews talks a lot of sense. He is often critical of government policy and is believed to have abstained from the IBRC bill.

He is one of the few TD's from the government benches I have respect for and I think his talents are being wasted in the back benches. Kenny obviously views him as a treat.

TD Mathews faces dressing down over anti-bailout protest - Independent.ie

So, if you are reading this, Peter, why don't you please stand up and form your own party? The country badly needs one and being an elected TD, you have the resources at hand now. The country would swarm around such a party I believe. Do you really want to continue to rot in the back benches of Fine Gael, or do you want to make a stand and if you fail, at least you can say 'I tried'.

There are many out there who would be attracted to such a party. Stephen Donnely for instance. A breath of fresh air amongst the stench of stroke politics and bullsh1t.

I will probably be accused of 'How dare you call on someone to stand when you do nothing'.

To those that say such, I say this. I am a citizen as you are of this Republic. We can and should expect better. Peter Mathews is in a position to make change. I and every other non elected person simply is not at this moment in time.
We cannot allow FF back into power and repeat the same mistakes. The lack of alternative is pushing the electorate there.

So for Peter, Stephen et al, consider this. Do something before you regret not doing so when you had the chance.

Eoin Coir

Himself, McDool, and Lord Ross may form a new party, PDs Nua ?

R3volution_R3ady

We are in desperate need of a new movement.

stopdoingstuff

Him, Donnelly. Ross, Mattie for comic appeal and rural reach...for a start.

R3volution_R3ady

ruserious

They would get an overall majority and could run the country - if the country consisted of the rich parts of Dublin 4.
True, I think we are consigned to rural tribalism.

Kevin Doyle

They would get an overall majority and could run the country - if the country consisted of the rich parts of Dublin 4.
What they are calling for is a benign dictatorship, but just dont have the balls to come flat out and say it.

BlackLion

The fuel for a new movement is there but every time there is a chance of a spark, SF and ULA drown it out to steal away votes (Occupy dame street, CAWHT, Union strike ,pro-life/pro-choice and any other protest have been infected by SF/UL). It suits them that they don't have to worry about anyone coming up from below. hunger for power has infested the five main parties.

Kevin Doyle

The fuel for a new movement is there but every time there is a chance of a spark, SF and ULA drown it out to steal away votes (Occupy dame street, CAWHT, Union strike ,pro-life/pro-choice and any other protest have been infected by SF/UL). It suits them that they don't have to worry about anyone coming up from below. hunger for power has infested the five main parties.
What are you basing this on?

Time and time again we see statements like this on P.ie. Bewildered aghast at the predictable movement of public opinion, as if the Irish people could be saved by a movement that just mirrored your own ideology.

borntorum

I can't believe anyone is still impressed by Mathews.

A self regarding blowhard of the highest order. If he genuinely believed half of what he says to try and impress Vincent Browne he would never have joined the Fine Gael party.

BlackLion

What are you basing this on?

Time and time again we see statements like this on P.ie. Bewildered aghast at the predictable movement of public opinion, as if the Irish people could be saved by a movement that just mirrored your own ideology.
people are disillusioned with politics, people are suffering and are angry but most importantly people want change. this creates the fuel for a movement. history have shown that just these ingredients plus time have lead to movement for good or worse.

BlackLion

I can't believe anyone is still impressed by Mathews.

A self regarding blowhard of the highest order. If he genuinely believed half of what he says to try and impress Vincent Browne he would never have joined the Fine Gael party.
I'd say if you are politician for long enough the system leaves it mark on you.

stopdoingstuff

What they are calling for is a benign dictatorship, but just dont have the balls to come flat out and say it.
No, the dictatorship is what we have now. Obviously I don't mean an actual dictatorship, but a political culture that is hopelessly confined by their commitment to the various vested interests that the rudiments of the overall public interest is neglected. This is one of the key features of a dictatorship- where decisions are made in pursuance of and the discourse is limited by a commitment to a small group of stakeholders to the exclusion of the general good.

mothball

I no longer see any room for a new party in Ireland. I don't simply think this is the case because I don't think we need one, but because the Irish electorate is what it is. We're a parish pump populace who will elect the same type of gombeen time and time again. The sane ones amongst us just don't matter enough to make a difference.

If you need further proof of that, just look at the polls and try to explain how FF managed any increase at all. If a party full of self-serving idiots who ruined this country's economy for generations can not only survive, but so quickly show signs of recovery, what does that say about this us?

Sure, we could have a micro-party similar to the PDs, but I simply don't envision one large enough to make a difference.
Personally, I'm pinning my hopes on southern Sinn Féin ditching the old baggage in the next decade and moving openly towards the centre. There are certainly plenty of young, talented individuals in the party who have the right idea.

ruserious

I no longer see any room for a new party in Ireland. I don't simply think this is the case because I don't think we need one, but because the Irish electorate is what it is. We're a parish pump populace who will elect the same type of gombeen time and time again. The sane ones amongst us just don't matter enough to make a difference.

If you need further proof of that, just look at the polls and try to explain how FF managed any increase at all. If a party full of self-serving idiots who ruined this country's economy for generations can not only survive, but so quickly show signs of recovery, what does that say about this us?

Sure, we could have a micro-party similar to the PDs, but I simply don't envision one large enough to make a difference.
Personally, I'm pinning my hopes on southern Sinn Féin ditching the old baggage in the next decade and moving openly towards the centre. There are certainly plenty of young, talented individuals in the party who have the right idea.
It's unfortunatly probably true.

Franzoni

No, the dictatorship is what we have now. Obviously I don't mean an actual dictatorship, but a political culture that is hopelessly confined by their commitment to the various vested interests that the rudiments of the overall public interest is neglected. This is one of the key features of a dictatorship- where decisions are made in pursuance of and the discourse is limited by a commitment to a small group of stakeholders to the exclusion of the general good.
100%

And that is why were paying for the reckless gambling of a small group of speculators who were in cahoots with politicians for years........

And now i'm off to join my local FF cummann...these fella's would put Lazarus to shame with such a recovery......might as well get on the gravy train early this time around.............:lol: