Peter Mathews has passed away ..

DeathKnell

Shocked to hear that, hadn't heard he had been sick. My condolences to his family indeed. Always came across as a thoroughly decent chap. He certainly railed against Noonan's insistence of paying the bondholders - his former role lended that opinion heft. For what it was worth..

May he rest in Peace.

Clanrickard

Seemed one of the good guys.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com

ticketyboo

Hopefully his family and friends get the chance to see the tributes....struck me as a thoroughly decent man who was prepared to go outside the tent and accept criticism of the tribe....
He gave people who are involved in, and study politics that it doesn't have to be underhand and nasty and self serving....
I wholeheartedly endorse the RIP.....

Eoin Coir

He was a good man. A patriot.
He wasn't one of the greasy tillers or green gansei crowd.
Also he was intelligent.

(The background noise is Dara Murphy speaking nonsense over Stephen Donnelly that's some contrast)
Separate thread on Donnelly & Murphy. But seeing that you drew it down Matthews was no flash harry like Donnelly who stands for everything and nothing. Donnelly opted out of bank enquiry,becasue eh said he's be better off doing constituency work in Wicklow.

One of his worst moments was when asked on V Browne show whether a woman must continue with a pregnancy that might endanger or damage her life for ever he replied, sure we are all going to die anyhow.

RIP Matthews,we are all diminished by death

He's a reminder to the denizens of this site that it is a folly to dismiss the political classes and its population en masse as self-serving. There are some decent people in politics. Moreover, some of these decent people retain their decency in their discharge of the role.

Accidental sock

Seemed to be a man of integrity and principle, even to the point of informing the electorate he was ill before seeking re-election.

A true loss, even for those who didn't share his views.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Came off as someone willing to listen to others.

In politics, that's no mean feat.

RIP.

GDPR

RIP, a politician that was respected across the political spectrum. I believe he posted here from time to time, or at least that was the impression I got when myself and SIL were having a discussion on some topic or other and he had some comments too. RIP and condolences to his family and loved ones.

automaticforthepeople

Very sad news, he was a decent and honourable man who was genuine in what he thought and said even if it might have been at times a little naive.

May he rest in peace close at hand to those he loved who have passed on before him. My sympathies to his wife and family

ergo2

May he rest in peace.

A decent man. True to his principles. Had definite POVs; was well able to set them out. Knew what he was speaking about when it came to banking and finance.

Sad that he has left us so quickly.

His family can be proud of him

sadmal

Separate thread on Donnelly & Murphy. But seeing that you drew it down Matthews was no flash harry like Donnelly who stands for everything and nothing. Donnelly opted out of bank enquiry,becasue eh said he's be better off doing constituency work in Wicklow.

One of his worst moments was when asked on V Browne show whether a woman must continue with a pregnancy that might endanger or damage her life for ever he replied, sure we are all going to die anyhow.

RIP Matthews,we are all diminished by death
I agree, that comment he made about women dying in childbirth was so cold and callous. During the last election he admitted he didn't put his views on abortion on his leaflets which was surprising considering his stance on the subject.

Destiny's Soldier

Life is short and you can't take the money with you.

mangaire2

sad news.
Peter always came across as a thoroughly decent man.
not your typical FG type - always respectful to his political opponents in debate,
& as others here have commented, a man of integrity.

at dheis Dé, go raibh a anam.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies