Peter Mathews has passed away ..

Sister Mercedes

If he'd made voters known about his extreme views on abortion, he never would have been elected in the first place.

Sister Mercedes

I agree, that comment he made about women dying in childbirth was so cold and callous. During the last election he admitted he didn't put his views on abortion on his leaflets which was surprising considering his stance on the subject.
I challenged him about that, because I was very unhappy that I'd given my no 1 to such a pro-life candidate. He responded that FG had known full well his views when they'd approached him to run. In fairness, he remained polite and engaged throughout our conversation. It's a pity FG didn't put him into a finance or economics position instead of the schoolteachers they put in charge. He would have played a more assured hand in discussions with the banks, troika etc.

TheWolf

Seemed like a reasonable guy.
Pity he fell in with a gang of FG criminals in 2011.

RIP.

Expose the lot of them

A man of integrity, so he didn't fit well with FG.

RIP
Completely agree, a man of integrity, always courteous, a gentleman.

RIP

Edit: May I add that I am totally opposed to many of the views he held, however that does not detract from the fact that he held his views honestly and defended them in a robust but polite manner.

Last edited:

Ramon Mercadar

May he Rest In Peace.

Dman

Sad news - I knew Peter 25+ years ago as a Banker
If all others had his Banking principles the country would never have had the banking crisis that we had to endure - He was also the first financial commentator to accurately predict the billions that the banking crisis was going to cost the country.
Condolences to his family - They can indeed be proud of his achievements and his principled stand in politics. RIP

Sister Mercedes

Constantin Gurdgiev
‏@GTCost
May he rest in peace! Peter was a true gentleman and a patriot of Ireland, a wonderful person who was a family friend over the years.

Wagmore

Separate thread on Donnelly & Murphy. But seeing that you drew it down Matthews was no flash harry like Donnelly who stands for everything and nothing. Donnelly opted out of bank enquiry,becasue eh said he's be better off doing constituency work in Wicklow.

One of his worst moments was when asked on V Browne show whether a woman must continue with a pregnancy that might endanger or damage her life for ever he replied, sure we are all going to die anyhow.

RIP Matthews,we are all diminished by death
Yeah-we're all diminished by fake posts too. Donnelly steered clear of it because he didn't agree with terms of reference or way it was set up. I would argue his call was vindicated. Best stick to the RIPs

flavirostris

If he'd made voters known about his extreme views on abortion, he never would have been elected in the first place.
How do you explain FF soaring in the polls, if the voters are so keen on changing the law.

The most anti-abortion party are consistently the most popular party in the polls.

gerhard dengler

R.I.P.

Peter Matthews was a good man and an excellent analyst of the mess that was created due to the financial crash. This is very sad news. I wasn't aware that he had been ill.

Condolences to his family and loved ones and friends.

Half Nelson

Defending children is now "extreme".

He stuck to his conscience, unlike many wrigglers in FG, who must yet face their judgement.

sadmal

How do you explain FF soaring in the polls, if the voters are so keen on changing the law.

The most anti-abortion party are consistently the most popular party in the polls.
The average FF TD would sacrifice their own children on the altar if they thought there was a vote in it.

The only reason they're anti-abortion at the moment is because they judge their voters think the same way.
If tomorrows polls showed a change in voters viewpoint Willie O'Dea's and Co would change their opinion too.

HereWeGoAgain

Very sad news.
I enjoyed his appearances with V Browne; a charismatic and engaging man who came across as honest and sincere.

Condolences to his immediate family and close friends.

RIP

sadmal

Defending children is now "extreme".

He stuck to his conscience, unlike many wrigglers in FG, who must yet face their judgement.
No! Replying to a question about women dying in childbirth with the answer 'We all have to die sometime' was extreme.

im axeled

i dont think that p.ie is in the process of canonising him, each post seem to be in agreement that his views were his own and the party whip was not going to change that, how many in the dail can that be said of

Popular Threads

Most Replies