Peter Mathews has passed away ..

The_SR

He articulated what many people felt about the banking industry and how it went so horribly astray in Ireland. There was nothing in it for him to bring us this news. A politician of talent, honesty and principle - you can't ask for much more.
You can ask that he articulate these principles to the electorate in advance. The voters of Dublin South were totally unaware they voted in an anti women god bother until after the fact.

That said he was better than most of the crop.

fat finger

The newspaper said Mathews had been diagnosed with oesophageal cancer. But he didn't come across as a heavy drinker or smoker, what else could have caused that in a man probably living healthily and looking after himself?
Anyway, he did his best, he tried to change the system.

Trampas

Dont bother with SR. Nasty piece of work with a chip on both shoulders.

Ardillaun

The newspaper said Mathews had been diagnosed with oesophageal cancer. But he didn't come across as a heavy drinker or smoker, what else could have caused that in a man probably living healthily and looking after himself?
Anyway, he did his best, he tried to change the system.
Often not associated with either. Reflux is one problem that can over time lead to pre-cancerous changes.

Boy M5

Au contraire. His story seems proof of how eccentrically mediocre Irish politics is.

Matthews struck me as the type of politician the continental list system commonly throws up: someone who actually knows something about something germane with an urge to contribute that input. In particular I recall a mission he took part in to the Bundestag in 2011, where he was obviously the only member of the Irish delegation who knew how to talk to the Germans and whom the Germans recognised as on their level. I don't recall him being sent on any such missions after that. FG did to him what it does probably to the worst extent of the traditional parties: had him queue behind the schoolteachers and bailiffs, the guys who know nothing except how to patronise the masses and simper to their 'betters'. The whole experience can only have been ultra-frustrating and -bruising for Matthews. RIP.
That is exactly the problem with our system.

Ardillaun

Chris Hitchens' dad also died of esophageal cancer and I very much doubt he had the same intake of Scotch and cigs as his son. Padraig Harrington's dad had the same problem and his main risk factor seems to have been persistent reflux:

Padraig Harrington regrets that he didn

A good friend of mine died of the same disease after years of severe reflux led to Barrett's metaplasia, dysplasia and malignancy.

Ardillaun

You can ask that he articulate these principles to the electorate in advance. The voters of Dublin South were totally unaware they voted in an anti women god bother until after the fact.

That said he was better than most of the crop.
I much prefer politicians who are honest about their beliefs even if I disagree with them.

reg11

Chris Hitchens' dad also died of esophageal cancer and I very much doubt he had the same intake of Scotch and cigs as his son. Padraig Harrington's dad had the same problem and his main risk factor seems to have been persistent reflux:

Padraig Harrington regrets that he didn

A good friend of mine died of the same disease after years of severe reflux led to Barrett's metaplasia, dysplasia and malignancy.
I'd guess Peter was a smoker in the past, I think his voice had that low tone that smokers and ex-smokers have? Regardless, I'm of the opinion that like most cancers it's just a case of coming out the wrong side of an ongoing lottery. It will happen to all of us if something else doesn't get us before that.

I rarely heard of that type of cancer up until lately, now I know a number who've succumbed in the last few years. Is it on the increase?

Nice man and a good politician, RIP.

Ardillaun

I rarely heard of that type of cancer up until lately, now I know a number who've succumbed in the last few years. Is it on the increase?

Not much but the type is changing - more adenocarcinoma than there used to be and less squamous carcinoma, especially in men. Apparently, the risk of adenocarcinoma is increased by reflux, obesity and eradication of H.Pylori in addition to factors common to both types like tobacco and alcohol.

http://www.ncri.ie/sites/ncri/files/atlas/2007/Oesophageal cancer.pdf

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies