Peter Sutherland

tsarbomb

Precisely. But don't expect to hear that in the official Ireland hagiography that will be going on. You'll hear the word 'humanitarian' quite a lot.
He was chairman of Golden Sachs international for years while they were up to their necks in helping the super rich hide cash in tax havens like the Cayman Islands. The notion that he had any concern for people’s welfare is laughable.

Offshore Shell Games 2016 | Citizen for Tax Justice - Working for a fair and sustainable tax system

Analyzer

Not just the state. And by using that expression you're bracketing him with Charlie Haughey. Imo, that's impugning his memory.
Well......Haughey only got to phuck up ONE country.

Boy M5

He was chairman of Golden Sachs international for years while they were up to their necks in helping the super rich hide cash in tax havens like the Cayman Islands. The notion that he had any concern for people’s welfare is laughable.

Offshore Shell Games 2016 | Citizen for Tax Justice - Working for a fair and sustainable tax system
Tax planning by wealthy individuals and companies has been going on for years.
As long as not illegal it's not a major issue.
If countries changed their laws, money would go somewhere else.
You may note France's stance on Robin Hood tax has changed as they try grab business from Brexit Britain

Companies built plants here due to our low tax rate.

If legally you can do it, they;ll do it.

Analyzer

Tax planning by wealthy individuals and companies has been going on for years.
As long as not illegal it's not a major issue.
If countries changed their laws, money would go somewhere else.
You may note France's stance on Robin Hood tax has changed as they try grab business from Brexit Britain

Companies built plants here due to our low tax rate.

If legally you can do it, they;ll do it.
Yeah. Tax avoidance for the rich.

Austerity for the workers.

Let's accept it. On the basis of the virtue signalling.

Boy M5

Yeh, strong AI is a worry. I can't see that dominating the labour market for some time.

Well, they're fleeing wars and oppression that may have involved some western skullduggery.
The plants that Trump may end up shutting in Mexico would be replaced by heavily automated plants.

Self driving cars, algorithms are involved in house, job markets. Even some law and financial trading.

Fully agree - Libya.

Boy M5

Yeah. Tax avoidance for the rich.

Austerity for the workers.

Let's accept it. On the basis of the virtue signalling.
What does virtue signalling mean?

I totally disagree with austerity.

It's not expensive for anyone of us to set up a trust for tax planning.
It's very simple legal structure.

The issue is how moral it is, also the more money, income and assets you have the more it makes sense.

I wonder how common such tax planning is in the Nordics?

Lord Deputy

One more destructive influence takes leave, no loss… no loss at all.

D

Deleted member 45466

The plants that Trump may end up shutting in Mexico would be replaced by heavily automated plants.

Self driving cars, algorithms are involved in house, job markets. Even some law and financial trading.

Fully agree - Libya.
Been happening for a long time now.

I'd be surprised if there's any major banks that don't deploy soft AI algorithims.

Goldman Sachs came out of the last recession with record profits. Largely down to a regiment of financial geeks and their application of game theory.

mr_anderson

It's not expensive for anyone of us to set up a trust for tax planning.
It's very simple legal structure.
Like I said in my post, if he was a normal businessman I'd expect no more from him.
But when you're someone who is influencing policies that, in turn, influence taxes, at least have the common decency to pay them.

There's a condescending stench of the 'little people' about his actions.

automaticforthepeople

You do realise that he want migrants because he wants them to pay for his pension in menial jobs.
I'd presume that by the time he spoke he didn't need the money from share options, speaking fees etc down through the years? Sutherland was a regular at Davos, I've never heard of too many OAP's rattling a can to get there.

Alphonse

I thought it was the Mafia that was supposed to manage the Vaticans banking isint that the way it happens in the Godfather ?

im axeled

my first real disgust of sutherland came on a pat kenny program on tv, he told us of the need to tighten our belts, as he sat and pontificated, looked down his nose at his oversized waist line which would never know of belt tightning, his second was on the refeguee crisis, demanding the we take uncontrolled amounts of refugees, with our struggling economy unable to look after its own never mind unlimited migrants, easy for him to demand from behing his gated london fashionable and high priced gated gaff, with another one in switzerland advailable just in case, he was supposed to be a brilliant irishman, pity he never put that particular brillance for the use of ireland, lucifer has another one of his own come home to him

Volatire

One knows that one's life was worthwhile when a ragbag of embittered lefties, bigots, racists, losers, shinners and welfare parasites rejoice at your demise.

Boy M5

Like I said in my post, if he was a normal businessman I'd expect no more from him.
But when you're someone who is influencing policies that, in turn, influence taxes, at least have the common decency to pay them.

There's a condescending stench of the 'little people' about his actions.
There's small farmers who have set up trusts.
Very sumple legal entities anybsolicitor can set up.

It's like saying a charity worker shouldn't have saved through an SSIA.

The Field Marshal

I only now see he has died - may he rest in peace.

He cannot do any more harm to Christian and European cultures now, but at the end of life, what is done by any of us is for the good or bad of humanity, and that is all we need to be remembered for.

R.I.P.
The man was Imo not a real friend of the Irish people.

Some of His actions and policies have seriously damaged Irish society.

Last edited:

Top Bottom