• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Petition asking Iain Duncan Smith to prove that he can live on £53 per week exceeds 250K in 24 hours......and rising.

J

Johnny Boy

Petition asking Iain Duncan Smith to prove that he can live on £53 per week exceeds 250K in 24 hours......and rising.

Iain Duncan Smith calls petition urging him to live on £53 a week a stunt | Politics | guardian.co.uk
A petition, signed by more than 250,000 people so far and rising rapidly, was started after Duncan Smith said he could get by on that amount after being challenged by a market trader during a BBC Radio 4 Today programme item on the government's changes to the welfare system.

The online petition, hosted at www.change.org, says: "This petition calls on Iain Duncan Smith to live on this budget for at least one year. This would help realise the Conservative Party's current mantra that 'We are all in this together'.
Tories and their big mouths are never far from landing in thir own excrement, it seems. Duncan Smith has dismissed the petition as a stunt........maybe, but a very embarrassing one for his party. This is just another nail in Cameron's coffin, politically speaking, in my view, and one wonders how long the coalition can hold together.

Those wishing to join the fun can do so, here::)

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/iain-duncan-smith-iain-duncan-smith-to-live-on-53-a-week

Sync

An utterly utterly stupid thing to say.

bonkers

Edwina Currie tries to better him.....@oconnellhugh: Ha RT @nicholasfrost: Former Tory MP Edwina Currie says SHE could live on £53 a week. Asked her to talk to @5_News about it, she wanted £500

J

Johnny Boy

Edwina Currie tries to better him.....@oconnellhugh: Ha RT @nicholasfrost: Former Tory MP Edwina Currie says SHE could live on £53 a week. Asked her to talk to @5_News about it, she wanted £500
Just as the Tories try to pretend this is not an issue, along comes "Salmonella Sally" to stir it up again. You couldn't script Edwina better if you were Ed Miliband's chief speech-writer.

Analyzer

Would love to see Big Fill try this one proposal for size.

Fond of his expensive jaunts is our Phil.

We cannot point the finger at Ian Duncan Smith. He is cheap compared to some of the Irish poliicos.

In fact, IDS probably gets paid less to work, than either Ditherer or McUseless get paid to "retire" and do nothing, after a career in the pblic trough, wasting the people's money.

The institutional state in Ireland is rotten.

Is there a petition against our expensive wasters ? Nope. Unlike the Brits, Ireland takes abuse.

Last edited:

ffc

Edwina Currie tries to better him.....@oconnellhugh: Ha RT @nicholfrost: Former Tory MP Edwina Currie says SHE could live on £53 a week. Asked her to talk to @5_News about it, she wanted £500
I seem to remember Michael Portillo living on benefit for a week. Of course, doing it for a week, followed by a television crew is easy. Try doing it year after year, bringing up a family. Those tory toffs are a laugh a minute, they haven't a clue what ordinary people go through. It still amazes me that anyone on average wages or below would ever vote for them.

J

Johnny Boy

I seem to remember Michael Portillo living on benefit for a week. Of course, doing it for a week, followed by a television crew is easy. Try doing it year after year, bringing up a family. Those tory toffs are a laugh a minute, they haven't a clue what ordinary people go through. It still amazes me that anyone on average wages or below would ever vote for them.
Another wet-behind-the-ears Tory MP, Matthew Parris, tried it in 1984, an received a salutory lesson.

Gareth McLean: poverty as entertainment on TV | Media | The Guardian

The incredible thing is that Duncan Smith has learned absolutely nothing from any of these highly publicised past efforts by party colleagues.

Ironically it is this sort of high-handed arrogance that cost Andrew Mitchell his job in the Plebgate scandal, apparently totally wrongly, because his alleged offence is now frequently seen, even within their own ranks, as perfectly plausible behaviour for Tories to indulge in. That is in itself quite remarkable.

Tea Party Patriot

250,000 signatures isn't a lot to get for a populist petition in the UK. It is the equivilent of about 25,000 signatures in Ireland or what would elect 3 TDs.

I often think people put far too much stock in petitions, have a look at Pen and Teller getting idiots to sign one to ban water:

[video=youtube;yi3erdgVVTw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw[/video]

firefly123

She came from Greece she had a thirst for knowledge,
she studied sculpture at Saint Martin's College,
that's where I,
caught her eye.
She told me that her Dad was loaded,
I said "In that case I'll have a rum and coca-cola."
She said "Fine."
and in thirty seconds time she said,

"I want to live like common people,
I want to do whatever common people do,
I want to sleep with common people,
I want to sleep with common people,
like you."

Well what else could I do -
I said "I'll see what I can do."
I took her to a supermarket,
I don't know why but I had to start it somewhere,
so it started there.
I said pretend you've got no money,
she just laughed and said,
"Oh you're so funny."
I said "yeah?
Well I can't see anyone else smiling in here.
Are you sure you want to live like common people,
you want to see whatever common people see,
you want to sleep with common people,
you want to sleep with common people,
like me."
But she didn't understand,
she just smiled and held my hand.
Rent a flat above a shop,
cut your hair and get a job.
Smoke some fags and play some pool,
pretend you never went to school.
But still you'll never get it right,
cos when you're laid in bed at night,
watching roaches climb the wall,
if you call your Dad he could stop it all.

You'll never live like common people,
you'll never do what common people do,
you'll never fail like common people,
you'll never watch your life slide out of view,
and dance and drink and screw,
because there's nothing else to do.

Sing along with the common people,
sing along and it might just get you through,
laugh along with the common people,
laugh along even though they're laughing at you,
and the stupid things that you do.
Because you think that poor is cool.

I want to live with common people,
I want to live with common people etc...

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The fact remains that single men have to live on this. Regardless of his challenger's family circumstances, the fact remains that living on £53 per week in the UK is bound to be a miserable existence. That is what is relevant here, not Daily Telegraph spin.
The Dole should be subsistence and £53 per week is more than many earn a year in Africa.

That aside the man issuing the challenge ti IDS has been shown to be telling mistruths

Dan_Murphy

I often think people put far too much stock in petitions, have a look at Pen and Teller getting idiots to sign one to ban water:
You laugh, but that stuff is used as a coolant in nuclear reactors and is a key component in acid rain! :eek:

J

Johnny Boy

The Dole should be subsistence and £53 per week is more than many earn a year in Africa.

That aside the man issuing the challenge ti IDS has been shown to be telling mistruths
Why not go the whole hog and suggest a return to the workhouse which is presumably what you'd really like?:)

blokesbloke

I think prices and currency differences might mean Africa and the UK are not entirely comparable... but I take your point.

blokesbloke

I was e-mailed a link to the petition but declined to sign it.

I don't see the point.

CookieMonster

IDS has since explained that he's been unemployed several times in his life and has been on the breadline.

He's managed to play it off fairly well and given he's not your typical Tory type (Not a southerner... is Scottish, not an Etonian, didn't attend Oxford or Cambridge, is Roman Catholic, former Army) he's got the substance to weather it.

It was a silly thing to say, of course, but still such petitions are rather pointless and he's right about it being a stunt.

storybud1

The world of Tony Blair Inc - Telegraph

Or who would vote Labour by the same thought,,

J

Johnny Boy

IDS has since explained that he's been unemployed several times in his life and has been on the breadline.

He's managed to play it off fairly well and given he's not your typical Tory type (Not a southerner... is Scottish, not an Etonian, didn't attend Oxford or Cambridge, is Roman Catholic, former Army) he's got the substance to weather it.

It was a silly thing to say, of course, but still such petitions are rather pointless and he's right about it being a stunt.
Is it your destiny in life to be eternally seduced by this bullsh!t? He has been shown up to be a buffoon, much like your good self, of course, old chap.:)
Furthermore, I well recall that when he was Tory leader he was playing his Catholicism down completely, and was reported in the media as being a regular attender at Anglican services................now there is a stunt for you.