• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Petition in favour of the recently overturned A5 Road Proposal

LoughFoyle

Petition Action for the A5

Although the actual road would be in the north, if the project was to go ahead it would result in positive economic growth in County Donegal and greater infrastructure between Dublin and Derry which is why I'm posting it here.

In recent weeks the decision to stop work relating to a new dual carraigeway from the Monaghan/Tyrone border to Derry was taken due to political corruption and a few rich farmers. This petition is to show that people give a dam even though the political parties don't!

I urge anyone who cares about economic development in the North West of Ireland to sign this petition. Lets not let the minority rule the majority!

Congalltee

This thread will attract partitionists like a mysogynist to a Mary Robinson thread.

LoughFoyle

care to provide any facts , names etc to support that
They were within a hairs breadth of putting shovels in the ground when the rich farmers lodged an appeal in the name of the 'environment'. It emerged from the appeal that the correct procedures in terms of Environmental Impact Assessment weren't carried out at three locations (I think) near the rivers Foyle and Finn. The judge gave the Minister of Regional Development, Danny Kennedy of the UUP a week to sort things out. He sat on his hands and the project was quashed. Mr Kennedy then said that he will not be appealing the judgement and basically the project is now dead and the £60 million already spent has gone down the drain.
You would think this is the sort of thing that other parties would scream about but there hasn't been a whimper of discontent.

It also happens that Mr Kennedy's political party were openly against this development. In fact P.19 of their 2011 manifesto reads:

"An urgent review of the decision to commit over 50% of DRD’s next budget to a road
from Donegal to Dublin. We advocate a refocusing on the need to commission the A2
project at Greenisland, rather than the A5 Western Transport Corridor;"

So I smell a rat. There's an agenda in favour of not developing the west. It's an agenda that goes back to the dark days of the 50's and 60's except this time nationalist parties who have a say are sitting on their hands. This petition is to show the politicians that we have a voice even though they refuse to represent us!

mido

Looks like normal politics is starting to affect needed developments in northwest as with other places

picador

Petition Action for the A5

Although the actual road would be in the north, if the project was to go ahead it would result in positive economic growth in County Donegal and greater infrastructure between Dublin and Derry which is why I'm posting it here.

In recent weeks the decision to stop work relating to a new dual carraigeway from the Monaghan/Tyrone border to Derry was taken due to political corruption and a few rich farmers. This petition is to show that people give a dam even though the political parties don't!

I urge anyone who cares about economic development in the North West of Ireland to sign this petition. Lets not let the minority rule the majority!
Good thread. This is political sabotage - make no mistake.

Same shenanigans is happening with the Lough Carlingford bridge.

Unionism still stuck in 1968 mode.

Talking Shop

Road development policy in Northern Ireland since partition has been a political tool designed to weaken regional development. Kennedy's intervention could be construed to be a reversion to a sectarian unionist tradition and principle (though the AA and EIS error was a huge technical error and allowed Kennedy to intervene).

Sammy Wilson is up to similar tricks in revelation to the Newry bridge (see latest edition of 'The Phoenix')

Mad as Fish

Rich farmers?

Well that's one problem we don't face around these parts. Many are having to shoot their cows because there isn't the grass to feed them and the silage has run out. But hey, that's just a backward rural issue, nothing to worry the great and the good who govern the country.

Popular Threads

Most Replies