• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Petition to suspend work on Corrib gas project

truthforsooth

Suspend the work on the Corrib Gas Project Pending a Full Investigation | Petitions . Contact . ie

This is a petition calling for a suspension of the current and pending works around the Corrib Gas Project.
This project is:
  • Approved by an Irish political regime that smacks of corruption - "This wealth will be leaving Ireland, thanks to a deal made between the corrupt Haughey government and multinational oil companies. Minister Ray Burke (later jailed for corruption) changed the law in 1987, reducing the State’s share in our offshore oil and gas from 50% to zero and abolishing royalties. In 1992, Minister Bertie Ahern reduced the tax rate for the profits made from the sale of these resources from 50% to 25%" The Gas & Oil Robbery | Shell to Sea
  • Being delivered by "project splitting", i.e. in piecemeal parts, to circumvent normal planning procedures for an infrastructural project
  • Financially disastrous to the Irish state (see above - NO royalties, NO ownership of the gas, and a mere 25% tax on profits after all costs, including decommissioning of infrastructure (in other words maybe no tax at all for many years))
  • Not likely to contribute to Ireland's energy needs (we have no reason to believe that we will get any of the gas, and if we do we'll have to pay full market value)
  • Environmentally damaging to plant and animal life in the area (where do I even start on this one - go and have a look for yourself at what's being done!)
  • Likely to put human life at risk through unstable, mixed, unrefined gases being pumped at high pressures onshore
  • Being forced through by illegal strongarm tactics by Gardai and private security - check out youtube or the Pipe Down documentary Pipe Down: New Documentary on the Corrib Gas Project | Shell to Sea
  • An experimental pipeline design that has required constant modification due to faults being found with it
Just leaving it at that (and I could go on), it is questionable whether this project is of any benefit except to those who stand to benefit directly financially from it, i.e. those to whom either Shell or the Government have donated money for their compliance, those few who might gain employment in construction or service industry (which will happen anyway even if the project is improved), or those Gardai who are earning massive overtime money hassling protesters while other areas go understaffed.

Please consider what I've written, find out more for yourselves, question the motives of those who support the project (and those who oppose it of course - my motive is, if it can be inflicted on one isolated community it can be inflicted on yours or mine), and if you feel that you should,

Please sign the petition.

Last edited:

SirCharles

Very good!!!
More that 2,300 signatures already.
I signed it too.
Every signature counts.
Thanks for this thread.

truthforsooth

Very good!!!
More that 2,300 signatures already.
I signed it too.
Every signature counts.
Thanks for this thread.
Thanks Charles (hope you don't mind me not calling you Sir!)
Every signature counts indeed.

SirCharles

Every signature counts indeed.
Not at all ;)

I linked your thread to this one. Hope you don't mind too.

We need solidarity in this country.

GDPR

Is there any means of verifying that there aren't multiple signatures from the same person?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
<ADMIN>
If this thread gets a quality OP that promotes debate, it will get back to the main boards, else it shall languish in The Zoo
</ADMIN>

SirCharles

Is there any means of verifying that there aren't multiple signatures from the same person?
You can't sign twice. Try it. Won't work. Except someone is cheating with different name and email address.

<ADMIN>
If this thread gets a quality OP that promotes debate, it will get back to the main boards, else it shall languish in The Zoo
</ADMIN>
???
Sorry. What's wrong with this thread in your opinion?
:confused:

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

???
Sorry. What's wrong with this thread in your opinion?
:confused:
Now I ain't a Mod or anything but I think it's because there is, effectively, no OP, just a link. Basically it's an advertisement. Perhaps if the OP said a few words regarding why posters should sign the petition.

ps. I signed it anyway! :D

SirCharles

Now I ain't a Mod or anything but I think it's because there is, effectively, no OP, just a link. Basically it's an advertisement. Perhaps if the OP said a few words regarding why posters should sign the petition.

ps. I signed it anyway! :D
Don't get your point then. It says it all on the petition's website. And you also can see a discussion here. If you signed the petition please don't try to become counterproductive here. I've seen many much worse threads in my view.
Cheers.

Last edited:
M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Don't get your point then. It says it all on the petition's website. And you also can see a discussion here. If you signed the petition please don't try to become counterproductive here. I've seen many much worse threads in my view.
Cheers.
Counterproductive?? By attempting to answer your question?? Threads beginning with links only are not allowed, AFAIK, on p.ie without some form of input from the OP.

goosebump

Good grief. Is it 1918 again or something?

Don't you think that refusing to call an anonymous poster on an Internet forum by the correct nom de plume is perhaps taking your republican/nationalist delusions a bit far?

I suppose you you'll going on 'drills' later in the afternoon, complete with cloth cap, trench coat and wooden rifle?

LeDroit

Good grief. Is it 1918 again or something?

Don't you think that refusing to call an anonymous poster on an Internet forum by the correct nom de plume is perhaps taking your republican/nationalist delusions a bit far?

I suppose you you'll going on 'drills' later in the afternoon, complete with cloth cap, trench coat and wooden rifle?
He might! Otherwise he'd have to face the fact that his life is actually hollow, without meaning or direction, and that he's actually angry with his father but expresses it as an irrational hatred of authority, any authority, in this case the British.

I'm afraid our time is up. That'll be ninety quid thanks. ;)

GDPR

You can't sign twice. Try it. Won't work. Except someone is cheating with different name and email address.
In other words is completely open to abuse and therefore will have no meaning regardless of how many people sign it.

fiannafailure

In other words is completely open to abuse and therefore will have no meaning regardless of how many people sign it.
Unlike the petition signed in real ink by over 200,000 people in the real world which asked the government to reconsider closing St Lukes cancer hospital.

Contrary Mary simply ignored it with an insulting comment about people with cancer being emotional.

When is this government going to stop talking at the electorate and begin listening.

GDPR

Unlike the petition signed in real ink by over 200,000 people in the real world which asked the government to reconsider closing St Lukes cancer hospital.

Contrary Mary simply ignored it with an insulting comment about people with cancer being emotional.

When is this government going to stop talking at the electorate and begin listening.
Presumably when the petition signers get elected to govern.

It is the Governments job, collectively and a Ministers job individually, to do what they think in the best interests of all the people, not just to listen to any particular interest group. We may not and do not always agree with what they think best, but that is the job we elected them to do.

SirCharles

No. With full name, town and country it is fully comprehensible.

It is the Governments job, collectively and a Ministers job individually, to do what they think in the best interests of all the people, not just to listen to any particular interest group. We may not and do not always agree with what they think best, but that is the job we elected them to do.
Their job is to represent the people, not to pressurise them.

fiannafailure

But tonic, not just to listen to any particular interest group. are you claiming here that people who currently have cancer or have recovered from cancer would not have even a little expertise in cancer care.

Your reply only serves to highlight Mary Harneys incompetence and arrogance.

bkeith

Ireland is 90 per cent dependent on imported gas. Power plants fuelled by natural gas generate more than 60 per cent of our electricity. This makes us highly dependent on gas supply from Russia. Ireland is at the end of a very long supply chain, which exposes us to risks of supply interruption and price volatility. If anything were to occur that disrupted this supply, we would have a serious energy crisis in this country. What many Krusties, shinners, etc... tend to overlook, is the fact that the Corrib Gas field will supply up to 60 per cent of Ireland’s gas needs at peak production. Also at a time when unemployment is expected to reach almost 17 per cent, it is critical that we consider our international reputation for investment. Ireland’s ability to attract foreign direct investment will be irreparably damaged.

Tomas Mor

Ireland is 90 per cent dependent on imported gas. Power plants fuelled by natural gas generate more than 60 per cent of our electricity. This makes us highly dependent on gas supply from Russia. Ireland is at the end of a very long supply chain, which exposes us to risks of supply interruption and price volatility. If anything were to occur that disrupted this supply, we would have a serious energy crisis in this country. What many Krusties, shinners, etc... tend to overlook, is the fact that the Corrib Gas field will supply up to 60 per cent of Ireland’s gas needs at peak production. Also at a time when unemployment is expected to reach almost 17 per cent, it is critical that we consider our international reputation for investment. Ireland’s ability to attract foreign direct investment will be irreparably damaged.

+ 1. But the diminishing number of people who protest do not care about our reputation, or all the people who had to emigrate from this area. Signing a petition when the job is almost finished !

SirCharles

I think nobody is against using that resource. But for the good or the Irish people, not for the best of Shell et al. The Irish state is getting NO loyalties from the gas drilling companies. Those companies can sell the gas back to Ireland at common market price. Job creation actually is quite little as many foreign workers and subcontractors are employed there. The gas is not refined off shore as usual. Unrefined gas is pumped by high pressure pipe lines which go through unstable boglands, posing massive danger to the local citizens. That's why the main campaign calls itself 'Shell To Sea'. Read more there about The Great Gas Giveaway please.