Petitioning for online access to Irish Genealogy

dlohan

Following the success of the online publication of the 1901 Census the need to improve access to Irish Genealogy has never been more apparent.

The Friends of Ireland Campaign is reaching out to all of Ireland's friends across the globe. The campaign is petitioning the Irish Government to improve online access to Irish Genealogy.

The campaign calls upon the Irish Government and Irish National Institutions to provide a single web portal capable of delivering not only details of Births, Deaths & Marriages but also digitised copies of photographs, maps, letters, newspapers, pamphlets, prints, music & voice recordings, video recordings, content on people / places / events / organisations, along with associated notes & full source information. The campaign further calls upon the Irish Government to provide the means by which the Friends of Ireland & the People of Ireland can share their Story of Ireland.

To express your support for this campaign please sign the petition at Friends of Ireland Campaign. Further information is available from the campaign website at Home page - Friends of Ireland Campaign - Welcome!.

Please consider forwarding this information to friends, family and colleagues who may have an interest in supporting this cause.

cry freedom

Following the success of the online publication of the 1901 Census the need to improve access to Irish Genealogy has never been more apparent.

The Friends of Ireland Campaign is reaching out to all of Ireland's friends across the globe. The campaign is petitioning the Irish Government to improve online access to Irish Genealogy.

The campaign calls upon the Irish Government and Irish National Institutions to provide a single web portal capable of delivering not only details of Births, Deaths & Marriages but also digitised copies of photographs, maps, letters, newspapers, pamphlets, prints, music & voice recordings, video recordings, content on people / places / events / organisations, along with associated notes & full source information. The campaign further calls upon the Irish Government to provide the means by which the Friends of Ireland & the People of Ireland can share their Story of Ireland.

To express your support for this campaign please sign the petition at Friends of Ireland Campaign. Further information is available from the campaign website at Home page - Friends of Ireland Campaign - Welcome!.

Please consider forwarding this information to friends, family and colleagues who may have an interest in supporting this cause.
I support the above campaign. It can only help to reveal more fully the Irish diaspora.

BUT ......Is there not a potential security issue here.

dlohan

I support the above campaign. It can only help to reveal more fully the Irish diaspora.

BUT ......Is there not a potential security issue here.

Online Genealogy is a well-established reality. Obviously all information has sufficient protection.

cry freedom

Online Genealogy is a well-established reality. Obviously all information has sufficient protection.
Having discussed this question in PM with dlohan I am now persuaded that
it is impossible for the anonymity of a P.ie contributor's identity to be compromised by submitting the linked form.
I apologies for ever suggesting that it would.
I wish him every good luck in his mission!

jmcc

It is a great idea but the task of collecting and digitising all that data is one that requires adequate funding and expertise.

Regards...jmcc

dlohan

It is a great idea but the task of collecting and digitising all that data is one that requires adequate funding and expertise.

Regards...jmcc
That is already understood. The real question is whether the return would be more substantial than the cost. Is there much interest in Irish Genealogy, in Ireland, in Irish People, Culture & Heritage?

And would all of this require a cost input? What if, as the petition, specifies, individuals could share their experience, their resources, etc.?

Beaker

Regards...jmcc
Look everything costs in life..... what one should be focused on is the benefits !

A significant (if not all) of Irish tourism, is (especially) yanks returning to the native soil to discover their roots.

The task of digitising all this data can be as simple, or as complex as you wich to make it. The staff of the records offices are quite 'underoccupied', as I have seen from recent visits. Additionally the daily dig up records for customers anyway, they could just scan in each as an extra step.

In the UK there are a variety of excellent generology services, which refine the scanned page down to year, quarter, and letter of alphabet, you then need to read the scanned page yourself to discover the exact record exists.

It could easly be financed through a public / private partnership anyway... I guess there woudl be lots of takers for this..

Beaker

That is already understood. The real question is whether the return would be more substantial than the cost. Is there much interest in Irish Genealogy, in Ireland, in Irish People, Culture & Heritage?

And would all of this require a cost input? What if, as the petition, specifies, individuals could share their experience, their resources, etc.?
The thing is, a huge amount of this info is already digitised ! Its just all over the shop, and not entirely complete. There are plenty of interested volunteer groups who digitised the 1901 census date years before the government.... I accessed my own date 18 months ago from a voluntary groups database..

What is needed (as always) is some leadership....

Beaker

Having discussed this question in PM with dlohan I am now persuaded that
it is impossible for the anonymity of a P.ie contributor's identity to be compromised by submitting the linked form.
I apologies for ever suggesting that it would.
I wish him every good luck in his mission!
Bit of a paranoid thought proccess going on here eh!

Think you should be a bit more concerned about more obvious profiling methods, like user surveys on P.ie.....

White Horse

I think our scarce money is better spent keeping hospitals open.

an Toimíneach

Sign the petition for the early release of the 1926 census here:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadkar-release-the-1926-irish-census

The 1926 census was the first census taken after the 1911 census. It is vital to our understanding of Irish society after our Revolutionary period.

No need for any great cost to the state either because private genealogy companies are willing to ditgitize the records in return for a few years of exclusive access (as has already been done with other archives held by the state) and major benefits in terms of maintaining the diaspora's relations with the country.

jmcc

No need for any great cost to the state either because private genealogy companies are willing to ditgitize the records in return for a few years of exclusive access (as has already been done with other archives held by the state) and major benefits in terms of maintaining the diaspora's relations with the country.
I don't think that these private companies should be given exclusive access. These are state papers and the property of citizens. The last thing that people need is another Irish Water tax scam or Eircode.

an Toimíneach

I don't think that these private companies should be given exclusive access. These are state papers and the property of citizens. The last thing that people need is another Irish Water tax scam or Eircode.
At the moment, nobody gets at the records.

The way it works is, large organisations like ancestry.com LLC or findmypast or whoever approach the government of the day and sign an agreement whereby they send in their people to digitise and transcribe the records at their own expense. They then make the records available on their website. The public can view the records for a fee. After an agreed time period, the records are made available to the public for free.

It's a "win win" for everyone. The public gain quicker access to the records than if the digitisation was left up to the state. The organisation makes a profit after providing a service. The state gets the records digitised fast and at no expense to itself (in theory, the state could make a profit if the organisations were willing to bid against each other). Society benefits from getting greater information on the past and, for what it's worth, business does well out of the diaspora's improved links with the old sod (Irish-Americans visiting their ancestral homes etc).
It has already worked with other records.

At the moment, the 1926 census isn't due to be released until after 2026 and that does not even include any digitisation or online access at all.

crossman

Sign the petition for the early release of the 1926 census here:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadkar-release-the-1926-irish-census

The 1926 census was the first census taken after the 1911 census. It is vital to our understanding of Irish society after our Revolutionary period.

I am very interested in tracing my family history but I won't sign this as I believe there are valid reasons for keeping it from public view for a hundred years. Releasing it early would endanger the success of future censuses as people would dispute the value of assurances re confidentiality.

an Toimíneach

I am very interested in tracing my family history but I won't sign this as I believe there are valid reasons for keeping it from public view for a hundred years. Releasing it early would endanger the success of future censuses as people would dispute the value of assurances re confidentiality.
Fair enough.
The 1911 census was made available in 1961.
Some countries pick 100 years, some less.
All civil records or births, marriages and deaths are already available and so are local newspaper archives so the 1926 census isn't going to give away much that isn't already in the public domain.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies