• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Petrol Prices

Akrasia

In july 2008, crude oil prices were $147 a barrel and pump prices in ireland were about €1.30.

Now in June 2009 crude is trading at $66 but the pump prices are €1.18 in Ennis as of this morning. And yet we are being told that we don't need any wage increases because we're in a period of 'deflation'.

I know there was an 8c increase in the 'emergency' budget of 2008, but even taking that into account, the Irish motorist is being screwed unmercifully.

Is anyone else sick and tired of the price creep as the local cartels collude to push the prices up by a few cent per week, following each others within 1 percent of each other to deny any consumer choice?

Middleaged

Noticed that,Dollar is now €1.39ish where it was €1.65ish last year.

According to Bloomberg there is no supply issue, and if you were to take 13c plus .5% vat off you'd be at €1.03.

But I agree, just to really annoy you a Gallon in US $2.49 or €1.80ish

todaytonight

Firstly the €1.18 in Ennis is a rip off. Looking like at least 2c over the average and you can get as low as €1.129.

So let's take €1.16 for our comparison
Apart form OIl price falling there's been 3 other changes:
1. The stronger dollar accounts for 18%
2. the government put 8c on the litre in last October's budget
and 3. increased VAT by 0.5%

That puts today's price at € 0.87 on a like for like with July last year if the above 3things hadn't happened.

Dios

Is anyone else sick and tired of the price creep as the local cartels collude to push the prices up by a few cent per week, following each others within 1 percent of each other to deny any consumer choice?
There was a shower them in Galway a while back that achieved the dubious distinction of being on the receiving end of the EU's first ever cartel conviction.

new jewell

The vast, vast majority of the price of petrol/diesel here is tax.
Good post this,we are being ripped off,tax and such like doesnt go up on a daily basis,seems to go up by same amount at the same time locally.Put Joe Duffy back on the case

sauntersplash

In july 2008, crude oil prices were $147 a barrel and pump prices in ireland were about €1.30.

Now in June 2009 crude is trading at $66 but the pump prices are €1.18 in Ennis as of this morning. And yet we are being told that we don't need any wage increases because we're in a period of 'deflation'.

I know there was an 8c increase in the 'emergency' budget of 2008, but even taking that into account, the Irish motorist is being screwed unmercifully.

Get on a bike and stop whinging.

FakeViking

The most unused things in Ireland: digits 0-8 in a fuel display sign's last position.

eskerman

Earlier post said a lot...cartels and government tax take. Some people have to spend so much money just going out to to an honest days work, I feel sorry for anyone that has to pay a toll on their way to and from work..wow all that additional charge just to go to work.
Gone are the days when a company car was a little perk mind you I dont think people who have to drive for a living like driving..I am sure many park their cars up at weekends apart from shopping chores.

Mileage allowance is hammered now if you use your own car, I think its down to 37cents per km on engine capacity over 1500cc.

Many people need a car to survive, so poster saying shut up moaning and use a bike...well I would not ever have my children out on Irish roads with the level of dangerous driving I have seen for both car and commercial drivers. This is a most serious problem and until we have a significant change of mindset and indeed political change of attitude towards driving habits in this country I will never have any of my family ride a bike on a public road. Slightly gone off the subject matter but when I hear about the Plod out there to catch speeding drivers, I think they are shooting fish in a barrell. The Licence to drive on our roads should be reviewed every 5 years...yes I know someone is gonna say that means more charges...I agree maybe it will have some charges on a rest-test, but is that not money well spent to change our very very poor driving standards that are clearly rampant in this country

Sorry for going off the subject matter..

Motorists hammered in Ireland..thats very clear..

Middleaged

Things would be a hell of a lot more transparent if we quoted the crude oil price as euro per litre.

That works out as 56c/l during last years peak, and 29c/l now.

Add the refining and delivery costs, and everything else you pay is tax and profit.
They get 21.5 gallons or 94.6 litres of petrol from every barrell, well thats the ratio that I can remember anyway.

Akrasia

well thats a wonderfully useless website (most of the data is months out of date) but it does show that petrol prices in Ennis were around 92 cent per litre in December 2008 when crude oil prices were about 50 dollars a barrel. There were no changes to excise taxes between December 1998 and today. yet the petrol prices appear to be significantly higher than they ought to be based on international oil prices.

Oil companies and petrol stations hike their prices the instant it looks as though oil prices might rise, but it takes them months to drop their prices to reflect lower markets.

Petrol stations are one of the closest examples of 'perfect competition' that there is (there are few barriers to entry, the products they sell are homogenous, and there is close to 'perfect information' in relation to the costs and profit margins in selling the product (anyone can call an oil supplier and get a quote for wholesale delivery)
But instead of operating in the manner of a competitive industry, they act as a cartel and engage mainly in non price competition

B

birthday

Noticed that,Dollar is now €1.39ish where it was €1.65ish last year.

According to Bloomberg there is no supply issue, and if you were to take 13c plus .5% vat off you'd be at €1.03.

But I agree, just to really annoy you a Gallon in US $2.49 or €1.80ish

Have you taken account of the fact that 1 US gallon is equal to 0.832 Imperial gallons?

eskerman

well thats a wonderfully useless website (most of the data is months out of date) but it does show that petrol prices in Ennis were around 92 cent per litre in December 2008 when crude oil prices were about 50 dollars a barrel. There were no changes to excise taxes between December 1998 and today. yet the petrol prices appear to be significantly higher than they ought to be based on international oil prices.

Oil companies and petrol stations hike their prices the instant it looks as though oil prices might rise, but it takes them months to drop their prices to reflect lower markets.

Petrol stations are one of the closest examples of 'perfect competition' that there is (there are few barriers to entry, the products they sell are homogenous, and there is close to 'perfect information' in relation to the costs and profit margins in selling the product (anyone can call an oil supplier and get a quote for wholesale delivery)
But instead of operating in the manner of a competitive industry, they act as a cartel and engage mainly in non price competition
I think for every €10 of fuel we put in the tank the Government gets over €8 in taxes...could be wrong here but I read an article about this a few months ago.

No doubt that economical smaller cars will win the day. Juice guzzlers are a thing of the past...I hope. Motoring in Ireland is far from being a pleasure anymore...in the main its a necessity