• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Pettigo Martyrs

Weesix

The unveiling of a headstone in Clar graveyard will now take place in the new year as the cross won't be ready this month. The headstone for William Kearney and Bernard McCanny from Drumquin,Tyrone will be launched simultaneously with a booklet being researched and produced by Ederney republican Maurice McGrath. The two men were Ira vols aligned to the 2nd Northern Division IRA that tried to keep Pettigo a part of the new 26 counties state because part of it remains in Co. Fermanagh and is part of the Northern Ireland jurisdiction. They were buried outside Donegal Town in Clar and The Donegal Commemoration Committee will prepare the event in conjunction with republicans from West Tyrone. The cross is costing 2500 and the fundraising isn't complete. Those who would wish to donate can do so through a sf office or contact Jim McLaughlin in Donegal Town.

Ed Dantes

Isn't there a memorial already in Pettigo?

Irish War of Independence Memorial.

This memorial was erected in 1953 to commemorate four men who died in the invasion of Pettigo on June 4th, 1922. The names on the Memorial are Patrick Flood (Pettigo), William Kearney and Bernard Mc Canny (Drumquin) and William Deasley, (Dromore, Co. Tyrone). The Minister of Defence, Mr. Oscar Traynor made the oration at the unveiling of the statue and the event was attended by General Sean Mc Keown. After the unveiling ceremony in Pettigo on Saturday members of “C” Company, headed by their pipe band paraded to what was formerly the RIC barracks in Pettigo and observed 2 minutes silence in memory of the late Commandant P. Breen, who was in charge of taking the barracks in 1921. Afterwards the band played, “The Minstrel Boy,” which was Comdt. Breen’s favourite tune.

Weesix

The graves in Clar have no headstone which is the aim of this thread not the actual monument in Pettigo itself which you are referring to.

Stendec

The unveiling of a headstone in Clar graveyard will now take place in the new year as the cross won't be ready this month. The headstone for William Kearney and Bernard McCanny from Drumquin,Tyrone will be launched simultaneously with a booklet being researched and produced by Ederney republican Maurice McGrath. The two men were Ira vols aligned to the 2nd Northern Division IRA that tried to keep Pettigo a part of the new 26 counties state because part of it remains in Co. Fermanagh and is part of the Northern Ireland jurisdiction. They were buried outside Donegal Town in Clar and The Donegal Commemoration Committee will prepare the event in conjunction with republicans from West Tyrone. The cross is costing 2500 and the fundraising isn't complete. Those who would wish to donate can do so through a sf office or contact Jim McLaughlin in Donegal Town.
donate me bollox let them go an rob a bank like they always do!!!!!

Young Ned

Are you actually offering to donate your bollox? I think the idea of stones for the grave was a different sort, but your idea has merit.

Ed Dantes

The graves in Clar have no headstone which is the aim of this thread not the actual monument in Pettigo itself which you are referring to.
So they are buried in Clar, not Pettigo. I pass Clar church every week but did not know about these men (I am not a Northerner). They seem to have been written out of the official history.

old westie

p o neil

Go easy on yourself no need to donate. P Doherty has kindly offered some of his 85,ooo sennad expenses.

brasco

another historical event hijacked by psf...

another historical event hijacked by psf...
Well why havent any other parties done anything about it? It's not as though it will say 'Sinn Fein' on the headstones. Sinn Fein are simply giving the men the respect they deserve.

Weesix

I am a republican from Drumquin and although that doesn't in itself give me the right to take sole ownership of the their history and heritage I see the merits in having a open republican engagement because this was the old IRA and current political differences shouldn't be as divisive in the commemorative themes.

brasco

Well why havent any other parties done anything about it? It's not as though it will say 'Sinn Fein' on the headstones. Sinn Fein are simply giving the men the respect they deserve.
SF are still trying to convince their supporters that they are "REPUBLICAN".

That their "struggle" for a Stormont parliament wasn`t a defeat or tactical withdrawal but was the leagacy of a concerted campaign by Gerry and his mates in MI5 sorry PSF....to undermine Northern Ireland from within....

that the "struggle" wasn`t about independence, but a 6 county settlement...

to this ends, hence the "memorials" and murals all over Belfast to the dead "heroes" and "legends" of the PSF movement...

Fir Bolg

Where will it be possible to get a copy of the booklet?

I'm a Sinn Fein supporter so naturally I disagree with all that. Putting that aside for a moment, why have successive ff ("REPUBLICAN") or fg governments not honoured these men by simply giving them headstones? Or were they too busy riding around on the pig's back in the years before the current recession?

Weesix

Where will it be possible to get a copy of the booklet?
We're still in conversations as to when it will happen but it looks as though we will wait for warmer times. a bit unfair to ask the rep flute band to stand in shirts in jan/feb. possibly june to coincide with the battle and maybe an opportunity for ogra to re-enact it. will ask you to send me a private message with your contact details or if you are prepared to wait i'm sure i'll give it another mention when we are ready to proceed.

Fir Bolg

We're still in conversations as to when it will happen but it looks as though we will wait for warmer times. a bit unfair to ask the rep flute band to stand in shirts in jan/feb. possibly june to coincide with the battle and maybe an opportunity for ogra to re-enact it. will ask you to send me a private message with your contact details or if you are prepared to wait i'm sure i'll give it another mention when we are ready to proceed.
Pm sent in your direction.

Dan Downing

Dan Downing

I am researching the Battle of Pettigo.
Does anyone have contact details for any descendant of William Kearney Drumquin who died in the Pettigo battle
Dan Downing

murph1

Does anyone know where I can find a list of prisoners taken by British troops at Pettigo June 1922 and where they were taken to?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies