PewDiePie , New media v old media

silverharp

Not a hugely important media story but it was on the BBC news last night who covered it in their typical lazy way and an interesting clash between old and new media, so the no 1 Youtuber "PewDiePie" who cleared $16m in 2016 has been attacked by the Wall Street Journal of all places because he as a comedian was behaving like a comedian. In the wake of this Disney has pulled some show he was supposed to be doing with him allegedly because he made anti-Semitic comments which he clearly didn't if his stuff is watched in context. Now Ive only heard of PewDiePie from my son and the audience would mostly be tween and teenager.

So a couple of issues we have is the WSJ doing a fake news hit piece on a Youtuber who is an entertainer, why did they do this? , desperate for click bait? cant get away from manufactured outrage? Corporates like Disney that clearly don't get their audience or how new media works and are shooting themselves in the foot. Also we have PewDiePie suggesting that Youtube want him off Youtube because he isn't "diverse" and he claims their algorithms are messing his channel.

On the plus side my kids generation are clearly seeing who "the man" is and are getting a front row seat in the culture wars, so that's good.

Some analysis of the situation

[video=youtube;dC5LyaCdpEI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC5LyaCdpEI[/video]

[video=youtube;JLNSiFrS3n4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLNSiFrS3n4[/video]

between the bridges

silverharp

How about the biggest Irish YouTuber, who has a subscriber base larger than the population of the island of Ireland. Probably the most popular Irish person in the world right now. 27 year old Sean William McLoughlin from Athlone.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jacksepticeye
I'd heard that there was this guy (again from the kids) but wow his videos get about 1.5 million views , that makes him bigger than TG4 :D not bad for a guy operating out of a "bedroom"

eoghanacht

My three year old likes to watch some one opening kinder eggs and assembling children's toys, I nearly fell out of my standing when my 12 year old informed me that she was one of the top earners on YouTube.

Missed that trick.

eoghanacht

between the bridges

My three year old likes to watch some one opening kinder eggs and assembling children's toys, I nearly fell out of my standing when my 12 year old informed me that she was one of the top earners on YouTube.

Missed that trick.
feck off, seriously? moi may get the willy warmer puppets onto youtube...

PeaceGoalie

I'd heard that there was this guy (again from the kids) but wow his videos get about 1.5 million views , that makes him bigger than TG4 :D not bad for a guy operating out of a "bedroom"
But RTE have to produce public interest stuff the public has no interest in

A Voice

Missed that trick.
Thit tú as do sheasamh? Musha, the oul Gaeilge is never far from us a tall a tall . . .

Quebecoise

so yer his ma/da...
I'm only posting about him because like a lot of people here I never heard about him, and I was flabbergasted at the size of his subscriber base. Is there an Irish YouTube channel with a higher subscriber base, does anyone know?

between the bridges

I'm only posting about him because like a lot of people here I never heard about him, and I was flabbergasted at the size of his subscriber base. Is there an Irish YouTube channel with a higher subscriber base, does anyone know?
Alright horse only winding, other than watching moiself parading I don't use/watch youtube...

eoghanacht

feck off, seriously? moi may get the willy warmer puppets onto youtube...
Millions to be had through advertising.

You should strip off paint yerself orange and film yerself romping through the wilds of fermanagh.

eoghanacht

Thit tú as do sheasamh? Musha, the oul Gaeilge is never far from us a tall a tall . . .
Sadly, we're the last generation all the old hiberno-english turn of phrases are being lost and Americanism are becoming more prevalent.

I've seen grown men use the pharse "butt hurt", what ever happened to saying a pain in the hole, hoop or ring?

silverharp

Sadly, we're the last generation all the old hiberno-english turn of phrases are being lost and Americanism are becoming more prevalent.

I've seen grown men use the pharse "butt hurt", what ever happened to saying a pain in the hole, hoop or ring?
you think that is bad, I get asked to pull into the "gas station" on the Rock bloody road.

eoghanacht

Quebecoise

Interesting that the Scottish managed to hold on to their specific dialect of English by referring to it as 'Scots', which kind of makes it the language of the nation.

I don't think we've ever defended the use of Hiberno-English forms. Not only should we be defending them, we should be promoting them. Use of the second person plural 'ye' should be standardised across the English-speaking world. Far more useful than 'y'all' or 'you guys' or 'you lot'.

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
[video]https://youtu.be/YzoMSgBzjsI?t=22s[/video]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies