• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Phil Hogan - Details Surrounding His Resignation?

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
Can anyone recount the full details of Phil Hogan's resignation as Minister of State from the Rainbow Government in February 1995? There doesn’t seem to be much about on the net.

Does it have anything to do with the £4000 donation he received on behalf of FG from Esat Digifone that was the subject of an intensive investigation at the Moriarty Tribunal.

Libero

Note to all: don't get Dave sued.

Defamatory speculation and innuendo will not be permitted on the boards. If users wish to assert facts, they should have proof of said facts (i.e. a link to a reputable news source), if only for the sake of the user's own credibility.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
if my memory serves me correct (and I wonder if its worth bothering, because Barry will jump all over me if it doesn't), but wasn't that the time that Phil Hogan faxed a copy of the sections of the Budget in relation to his department to the media before the budget had been announced.

I think he sent it the night before the budget or the morning of the budget. Either way there was a furore about him seeing before the country, and leakign to the media and whatnot, so I think he was given the jump or be pushed speech by Bruton

To his eternal credit he jumped (take note Parlon)

He's still a political non-entity though

nuj

TK, a warning. The following answer contains facts. You may wish to take precautions before reading:

As I recall he was Minister for State in Dept of Finance.

At about 1.00pm on budget day (end-January in those days) he released a press statement concerning welfare increases, not due to be announced until the budget itself at 4.00pm or so.

It was a Parlonite moment, but he differed crucially from Parlon in hitting the "distribute" button three hours early, thus breaching the secrecy of the budget.

So, you eejit, it had nothing to do with Esat. Or phonetapping, in case you're worried about that.

nuj

TKwhiskers said:
Thanks for the information guys. So basically the two are completely separate issues.
Separate non-issues, actually.

TheChief

rockofcashel said:
wasn't that the time that Phil Hogan faxed a copy of the sections of the Budget in relation to his department to the media before the budget had been announced
nuj said:
At about 1.00pm on budget day (end-January in those days) he released a press statement concerning welfare increases, not due to be announced until the budget itself at 4.00pm or so
You're both incorrect.
Phil Hogan neither faxed nor released anything. Naturally enough, as Minister of State at Finance, Hogan knew the Budget details in advance, and naturally enough they had their press statements ready to roll out after the Budget speech.

It was actually a Civil Servant working under Hogan that faxed it, in error, to some media sources ahead of time.

So Hogan followed the idea of ministerial accountability, (take note Cullen,Parlon, Martin et al.) and took the bullet for a fcuk-up of someone in the Civil Service below him (take note Martin, Harney)

Don't know where you got the 4k allegation from

nuj

A statement released in his name, then.

Technically the details shouldn't have been available to him before the Budget speech commenced.

TheChief

nuj said:
Technically the details shouldn't have been available to him before the Budget speech commenced.
yes well technically only the Minister for Finance should draw up the Budget on his own. This is slightly impractical though!

I don't think its a massive scandal if the Minister of State for Finance knows the details of the Budget before they're announced, do you??

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
TheChief said:
Have you a link for this?
Or any media reports?
I never remember his name coming up at the Tribunal

His name did appear at the Tribunal; in fact there was a huge investigation into the £4,000 donation from Esat Digifone to Hogan / FG.

It was in the autumn of 1995 (after Hogan had resigned as a Minister, over the fax incident outlined above). At the time Hogan had taken to organising fundraisers for Fine Gael, this was also about the time the Government were about to award the 2nd mobile telephone license.

According to evidence given by Mark Fitzgerald (son of the former Taoiseach) shortly after the donation was given to Phil Hogan, Fitzgerald arrived at a business meeting only to find Hogan there with Denis O'Brien and the late Jim Mitchell. According to Fitzgerald the awarding of the license was discussed.

Phil Hogan in his evidence claimed to have no recollection of the meeting. Obviously Mitchell isn’t saying anything.

Esat Digifone were later awarded the license by the then FG Minister Michael Lowry - this is also the subject of investigation.

The full transcripts of the tribunal are located here, it makes for interesting reading.

I would like to make it clear there is no suggestion on my part that Phil Hogan act improperly he is currently Fine Gael Spokesperson on Enterprise, Trade and Employment.

nuj

TKwhiskers said:
I would like to make it clear there is no suggestion on my part that Phil Hogan act improperly
Unlike Burke, Flynn, Lawlor, Haughey, Collins...I can't say "et al." given the litigious nature of the former Taoiseach, but that's the abbreviated list.

TK, I can understand anyone being wrong. When they are deliberately and wilfully so, I don't find it so easy. You want to support FF, go ahead, it's a free world - and they do tend to attract better-looking women than the other parties.
Posting trollish threads based on wilful misinterpretation of facts is dishonest. God knows, there are enough sticks around to beat FG with, without resorting to your tactics.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
nuj said:
I can understand anyone being wrong.
When they are deliberately and wilfully so, posting wilful misinterpretation of facts is dishonest
Where was I wrong, where did I misinterpret the truth?

Are the facts outlined in my previous post not correct?

nuj

I was referring to your threads started over the last few days.

By the way, I don't have an FG bone in my body. I just don't like dishonest clowns.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
nuj said:
I was referring to your threads started over the last few days.

By the way, I don't have an FG bone in my body. I just don't like dishonest clowns.
Where was I dishonest in my statements on FG? It's not my fault they've had a bad week. I just call it as it is.

This is politics.ie, if you can’t handle the heat go back to playpen.ie.

The only dishonest person here is you, going around making wild allegations you can't support.

nuj

Wild allegations?

:lol:

You are a dishonest clown.

And now you're getting to be a peevish dishonest clown.

TheChief

TKwhiskers said:
Where was I dishonest in my statements on FG? It's not my fault they've had a bad week
Fine Gael have had a bad week?! I don't know what news you've been watching!

They started coalition negotiations with Labour; Kenny had the publicity stunt of the year on the Restaurant; the man had a fawning two-page spread in the RTE Guide; and Phil Hogan got to play golf with Tiger Woods!

Three years ago, FG would have thought weeks as good as this were well behind them!

Getting spluttered at by a sweaty red-faced Kerryman doesn't constitute a bad week TK.