• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Phil Hogan tees up with JP and Tiger Woods

TheChief

The JP McManus Invitational is starting today, and the star threesome is JP McManus, Tiger Woods and none other than Fine Gael head-honcho Phil Hogan TD.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1427649&issue_id=12702

According to the Indo, two successive Finance Ministers (McCreevy and Cowen) have been relegated to the graveyard slots of the 8am shotgun start, whereas Hogan is up there in the limelight.

Given McManus' usual love-bombing of FF, this story is eye-catching to say the least.

Is McManus changing alliegance?
As a man with an eye for a good punt, does he think the smart money is on FG and his new pal Phil "Reggie Kray" Hogan ?

krayZpaving

Website
www.keith.gs
a) McManus isn't even playing, so he can't be teeing off with Hogan and Tiger
b) Phil Hogan will be a few places down the list when it comes to Kenny handing out whatever ministerial portfolios are left after Labour have their lot

TheChief

krayZpaving said:
a) McManus isn't even playing, so he can't be teeing off with Hogan and Tiger
How do you know? Is the Indo wrong?

krayZpaving said:
b) Phil Hogan will be a few places down the list when it comes to Kenny handing out whatever ministerial portfolios are left after Labour have their lot
He'll be second on the FG list, after Richard Bruton. The Labour contenders aren't exactly awe-inspiring, so Phil won't have too much to worry about.
Given that he is credited with saving the FG organisation (along with Frank Flannery), and for the miraculous local/euro elections (particularly his humiliation of Harney and Liz O' Donnell, and the media circus he drummed up[ around the non-existant war between McGuinness and Doyle)........I don't think he'll have much trouble getting a bigtime Cabinet post

krayZpaving

Website
www.keith.gs
JP McManus was on Morning Ireland this morning speaking to Des Cahill and clearly stated that he was not playing this year, and that he might or might not play next year.

NGTR

Website
www.freewebs.com
Maybe it has nothing to do with politics but golfing ability, Hogans supposedly a mean golfer who regularly wins the Fine Gael golf classics maybe Mc Manus opted for a politician who could atleast try & keep up with the world's top golfer

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
Just to clear all of this up - Phil played with Mary McAleese's husband, estate agent Arthur French and of course Tiger. The team was sponsored by French Estates.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I know some of you might think that this thread is in some way related to politics, but its not.

Do you honestly believe anyone gives a flying fcuk who Phil Hogan plays golf with (or more to the point, who Tiger Woods plays golf with).

Cop yourselves on, Phil Hogan is an unimportant non-entity in Irish political life

BarryW

rockofcashel said:
Cop yourselves on, Phil Hogan is an unimportant non-entity in Irish political life
Whereas Conor Murphy, Kenny O' Sullivan, Theresa Ferris and Killian Forde are all household names?! :?
You certainly speak of them as if they are!

Come back to us when Phil Hogan is Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment

Libero

Hey everyone, feel free to add to Rock's list of unimportant non-entities in Irish political life. Sure it might help make the thread more related to politics, as if discussing a senior opposition TD and his cabinet prospects isn't.
I can think of a few people who fit the description but I don't want to make Rock angry, so here are some people who are not at all non-entities and are really very important...

EDIT: I see that BarryW got in there before me. And he said "Theresa". Buachaill dána!

ryano

I know some of you might think that this thread is in some way related to politics, but its not.
If somebody is paying €100,000 (albeit to charity) for Phil Hogan to play a round of golf, I would say it has some political relevance. Other politicians apparently benefitting from the charitable instincts of others include Charlie McCreevy and Brian Cowen.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
To both Libero and Barry,

The fact that either or both of you seem to have fetishes about a. supporting FG or b. knocking members of Sinn Fein, makes not one whit of difference to this thread, that being

what is the relevance of who the hell Tiger Woods or Phil Hogan plays golf with to Irish politics?

And lets be honest about this, don't you find it a bit funny when a FG supporter can reel of the names of local councillors from SF, when the vast, and I truly mean vast majority of Irish people haven't a clue who Phil Hogan is.

Oh and Barry, the use of Kenny O Sullivan for Cionnaith O' Suileabhan is both childish and ignorant. Do you feel that be attempting to deny using Cionnaiths proper name, you are in some way de-humanising him, much as the Nazis did by referring to prisoners as numbers.

Or do you not accept that some of us are proud of our Irish names.

borderlinegenius

rockofcashel said:
Oh and Barry, the use of Kenny O Sullivan for Cionnaith O' Suileabhan is both childish and ignorant. Do you feel that be attempting to deny using Cionnaiths proper name, you are in some way de-humanising him, much as the Nazis did by referring to prisoners as numbers.
Childish, yes. For that is Barry's way.

Comparable to the Nazis?

:shock:

Oh dear.

mickeyc

Website
finegael.csn.ul.ie
rockofcashel said:

Amazing how he didn't see the funny side when you called Colm Mac Eochaidh as Haughey!

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
mickeyc said:
rockofcashel said:

Amazing how he didn't see the funny side when you called Colm Mac Eochaidh as Haughey!
I think I used that term in asking was the particular person styling himself Mc Eocaidh as opposed to Haughey because he didn't want any name connection.

That is a little different from the constantly insulting and disparaging use of SF members names that Barry continously uses. Much the same as he childishly refers to Mary Lou Mc Donald as Mc Duck or Daily Ireland as Daily Shinner.

BarryW

rockofcashel said:
Oh and Barry, the use of Kenny O Sullivan for Cionnaith O' Suileabhan is both childish and ignorant
Childish, ey?!
Ignorant, is it?!
You complete and utter hypocrite! :D

For the benefit of bystanders, here are three small examples of Rockofcashel's hypocrisy (or possibly stupidity/goldfish memory) - where he has himself referred to Prionsias de Rossa as Béarla:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6249&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=frank+ross&start=25

http://www.politics.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4426&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=frank+ross&start=25

http://www.politics.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4333&highlight=frank+ross

Prionsias is one such example. I'm sure there are others (kudos to MickeyC for pointing out one such example)

And you see fit (as usual) to lecture me and others?! Give me a break! :lol:

rockofcashel said:
Do you feel that be attempting to deny using Cionnaiths proper name, you are in some way de-humanising him, much as the Nazis did by referring to prisoners as numbers
Oh Rockie-boy! You've cheered me right up on what was an otherwise dismal and unremarkable day! :)
Comparing my foibles to Nazi oppression?! You must be veeerry bored today.

As for the awfulness of Nazism: perhaps you should ask the admirers of Nazi traitor Seán Russell, the Graves Association, or indeed any of your pals in SF/IRA (who supported the Nazi war effort) about all that........ :?

rockofcashel said:
Or do you not accept that some of us are proud of our Irish names
Are some of you ashamed to be addressed in the common tongue?!

borderlinegenius

BarryW said:
As for the awfulness of Nazism: perhaps you should ask the admirers of Nazi traitor Seán Russell, the Graves Association, or indeed any of your pals in SF/IRA (who supported the Nazi war effort) about all that........ :?
Dude.

Blue.

Shirts.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
borderlinegenius said:
BarryW said:
Dude.

Blue.

Shirts.
Hmm - I don't get the reference? Unless of course you're attempting to make a facile link between the Blueshirts and Nazism. The closest link you'll find is that O'Duffy and some former ACA members went to support Franco in the Spanish Civil War. Yes they liked dressing up, and had former soldiers as members but their politics were based around the state corporatism espoused by the Church(and which is manifested in our social partnership system) and protecting political meetings from republican thugs.

In any case - for me this represents a new record in getting a thread onto SF and republicanism. It's a thread on an FG forum about a leading party spokesman playing golf with Tiger Woods. Phil Hogan is well known, and while he may not have gained a high profile as a gun-running terrorist a la Martin Ferris or beacuse of the subversive element in his supporters like Aonghus O'Snodaigh, he is high profile and well-known especially here in the rarified atmosphere of politics junkies.

borderlinegenius

aodh_rua said:
Hmm - I don't get the reference? Unless of course you're attempting to make a facile link between the Blueshirts and Nazism.
Are you suggesting that there was no connection between the Blueshirts and fascism, and no connection between fascism and Naziism?

aodh_rua said:
their politics were based around the state corporatism espoused by the Church
That is fascism.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
BarryW said:
rockofcashel said:
Oh and Barry, the use of Kenny O Sullivan for Cionnaith O' Suileabhan is both childish and ignorant
Childish, ey?!
Ignorant, is it?!
You complete and utter hypocrite! :D

For the benefit of bystanders, here are three small examples of Rockofcashel's hypocrisy (or possibly stupidity/goldfish memory) - where he has himself referred to Prionsias de Rossa as Béarla:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6249&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=frank+ross&start=25

http://www.politics.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4426&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=frank+ross&start=25

http://www.politics.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4333&highlight=frank+ross

Prionsias is one such example. I'm sure there are others (kudos to MickeyC for pointing out one such example)

And you see fit (as usual) to lecture me and others?! Give me a break! :lol:
I suppose theres no point in explaining to you that Proinsias was well known by his name as Frank Ross while he was a captain in the Official IRA, and only metamorphesised (changed into, just in case you don't own a dictionary) into his Irish derivation when we wanted to distance himself from his past for electoral reasons. Seen as I was talking about FG's dalliances with a terrorist, it was better to use the name he himself used at the time. But like I said, when dealing with you Barry, theres probably no point in trying to explain to you.

rockofcashel said:
Do you feel that be attempting to deny using Cionnaiths proper name, you are in some way de-humanising him, much as the Nazis did by referring to prisoners as numbers
Oh Rockie-boy! You've cheered me right up on what was an otherwise dismal and unremarkable day! :)
Comparing my foibles to Nazi oppression?! You must be veeerry bored today.
Your right I was very bored.

Again I suppose theres no point in explaining to you that the National Graves Asssociation in the 26 counties is not affiliated to Sinn Fein in any way, and is in fact hostile to SF, so I can't see what connection your making with SF and that particular organisation in relation to memorials they erect.

rockofcashel said:
Or do you not accept that some of us are proud of our Irish names
Are some of you ashamed to be addressed in the common tongue?!
Seen as my own name is Liam, and has been all my life, I would consider it disrespectful to be reffered to as William in the snide tones that you use when referring to Irish named people. So, as you see, its not some shame to be addressed in the common tongue, its simply a matter of courtesy. Or are you completely devoid of the concept of manners barry ?