Philip Cairns - possible new leads?

Sylvesterthecat

RTÉ News: Land searched in Cairns disappearance

Rumours in the area this evening about this poor young boy who vanished many years ago. I know there has been discussion over the years about this very sad case, but for his loving family who must have suffered terribly over the years, one might hope that they could be given answers at last. I was a young mother living in the area at the time of this poor lad's disappearance and I will never, ever forget it. Somebody all these years has known something about this, how they live with it I will never understand.

Propforward

Rumours in the area this evening about this poor young boy who vanished many years ago. I know there has been discussion over the years about this very sad case, but for his loving family who must have suffered terribly over the years, one might hope that they could be given answers at last. I was a young mother living in the area at the time of this poor lad's disappearance and I will never, ever forget it. Somebody all these years has known something about this, how they live with it I will never understand.
I actually spoke to the gardai last year about this case - i am philips age and 2 months before he went missing this guy tried to assault me (thankfully i got away) after following me home from the dundrum bowl - at the time i was too young and didn't see the connection but i lived in sandyford and Philip lived in rathfarnham which are only a couple of miles away (as a crow would fly) so i figured there may have been a link.

Anyway the garda said he was a part of some new (c)old case unit and they had a lot of leads and witnesses (more specific) to Philips case came forward each year.

I hope the gardai can give the family peace - i dare say the inability to get closure would be worse than the grieving for a child
I would hope someone way brought to justice but even if they could recover a body or discover exactly what happened to their son they could rest.

imokyrok

I've never forgotten this poor boys name either. In some ways we are fortunate in this country that we have so few child murders that the names stay with you a lifetime. I too hope that Phillips family get closure one day. I can imagine no greater suffering than what his parents have had to live through.

Mugabe

I remember on school there was a campaign about not speaking to strangers due to this specific case.

two areas of interest in the herlad.ie

- a grave like shape has fell in on its self
- gardi were aware in the 80s that this golf course was where he may have been.

with a bit of luck the body is here and whom ever mentioned to have did this as the report sais; is caught.

on a sidenote to that, one of the previous posters mentioned being almost abducted...i wonder if the person is foind would you remember the face by any chance? what a lucky escape it would have been for you.

Propforward

Would people please stop using that horrible phrase.
It's almost as revolting as the common usage of "partner" and "collatoral damage."
You really got the spirit of the thread there! You really have a lot of time on your hands if that bothers you.

FYI going forward
Closure is a word not a phrase.
See here
Phrase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and
here
Word - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

for rudimentary definitions.

Closure is correctly applied in this case as a need to end ambiguity so that the process of (in this case) grief can progress.

Sounds like somebody needs the reward money.

Sad. I hope a) they find that lad so that he can be buried properly and his family can grieve and b) they catch the phuckers responsible.

Factorem

He was probably abducted by the Free Masons and sacrificed in one of their satanic rituals.

davidcameron

The following article was published on 23 October 2015.

School bag of Philip Cairns could solve mystery of his disappearance 29 years ago - Independent.ie
It was a case that shocked and baffled the country, and there were no clues in the case until the teenager's schoolbag was found dumped in a laneway six days later, yards from his home on Ballyroan Road.

It is now sealed in plastic and locked in a safe in Rathfarnham Garda Station.

Detective Sergeant Tom Doyle believes advances in science and forensic technology could make the bag a vital clue once again.

"At the time it was found in 1986 DNA profiling was a limited concept. There was a danger that testing the bag might produce a mixed profile because the bag could have been handled by many people," Det Sgt Doyle told the Herald.

"The key is being able to separate-out the profiles of any DNA found on the bag, and technology is increasingly moving in that direction, so I am convinced this school bag holds the answers as to what happened to Philip," he added.

The following article is from 2002.

Philip Cairns 'was killed to protect his sex abuser' - Independent.ie

This newspaper has spoken to witnesses and seen evidence that an admission of involvement was made by an individual in 1996, 10 years after the boy's disappearance.

The individual confessed to playing a part in Philip's death and described in detail what had happened.

Philip was a person of habit and his routine never changed. Every day he came home for lunch, and his unvarying schedule made it easy to put the plan into operation. A person well-known to the boy, who also had an association with the school, offered Philip a lift back to school.

In the car, the boy was overpowered and murdered. He was driven some miles away where his body was transferred into a van and driven to the grounds of a religious order in Rathfarnham. The dead boy was placed in a pond in convent grounds.

It has been confirmed that the grounds were never searched at the time. There was some suspicion that Philip's body had been placed in a pond, however, and two ponds in Phoenix Park were searched, to no avail.

The ponds in the convent grounds were not searched, and now it seems unlikely the area will ever yield its secret. The ponds were later filled in to allow development. On one pond, a retirement home has been built; the second is now the site for a tennis court.
Nothing is more important than finding Philip's remains. So why isn't is as simple as tearing the retirement home and the tennis court apart to find his remains?

GDPR

School bag of Philip Cairns could solve mystery of his disappearance 29 years ago - Independent.ie

Nothing is more important than finding Philip's remains. So why isn't is as simple as tearing the retirement home and the tennis court apart to find his remains?
Because there is no evidence they are there.

gerhard dengler

There were lots and lots of rumours concerning this case and what was alleged to have happened.

The community effort to try to locate Philip's remains was huge at the timee. Many of us from the area were involved in the search of the Dodder and the Bushy Park area, to no avail sadly.

Seanie Lemass

Do you seriously think that they did not search those ponds? Like some cop said "Oh yeah your man said he killed him but sure we couldn't be ar3ed" !!!!

GDPR

Do you seriously think that they did not search those ponds? Like some cop said "Oh yeah your man said he killed him but sure we couldn't be ar3ed" !!!!
He's an idiot. The Cairns disappearance was huge. Every bush was rummaged and the ponds were ransacked.

The case was unbearably tragic. Unless omeone has something important to say about it, they can eff off.

Seanie Lemass

He's an idiot. The Cairns disappearance was huge. Every bush was rummaged and the ponds were ransacked.

The case was unbearably tragic. Unless omeone has something important to say about it, they can eff off.
It was. We lived two miles away and they called to the house. It was huge investigation. I know of republicans in Rathfarnham where cops called to ask about anyone dodgy they might have known about. And this was in 1986 where there was no common ground!

SayItAintSo

There were lots and lots of rumours concerning this case and what was alleged to have happened.

The community effort to try to locate Philip's remains was huge at the timee. Many of us from the area were involved in the search of the Dodder and the Bushy Park area, to no avail sadly.
I lived close to the Abbey & was younger than Philip Cairns but I do remember the shock, worry & sadness of my parents at the time and all round the area. I've never forgotten it and even now when it comes up in the media, its upsetting. While I would like nothing more than for his remains to be found I would find it almost unbearably sad if he has been lying in the Abbey grounds all these years.

I think it's impossible that the Abbey grounds wouldn't have been thoroughly searched and they wouldn't have been nearly as built up in those days as they are now, indeed, there's little left.

gerhard dengler

I lived close to the Abbey & was younger than Philip Cairns but I do remember the shock, worry & sadness of my parents at the time and all round the area. I've never forgotten it and even now when it comes up in the media, its upsetting. While I would like nothing more than for his remains to be found I would find it almost unbearably sad if he has been lying in the Abbey grounds all these years.

I think it's impossible that the Abbey grounds wouldn't have been thoroughly searched and they wouldn't have been nearly as built up in those days as they are now, indeed, there's little left.
If the community effort is a reasonable measurement of folks determination to find Philip Cairns, then the community effort in this case was huge.
Literally hundreds of people volunteered and took part in the search for Philip. Like you, I think it would have been nigh on impossible that a large area of land in that vicinity could have been missed.

The search for Philip did not lack resources or effort from the local community.

That makes the pain of his loss even worse for his family because they know that all of the wider community wanted to find Philip and wanted to find the person responsible for his disappearance.

mr_anderson

This case haunts me like no other.

What I find most unsettling is that the schoolbag screams that the perpetrator was local.
And potentially could still be.

My heart goes out to that family.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies