• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Phoney claims for wind energy exposed in article. Massive subsidies in electricity bills should be abolished.

patslatt

Phoney claims for wind energy exposed in article. Massive subsidies in electricity bills should be abolished.

See Wind energy claims are just a lot of hot air - Telegraph

Many serious criticisms are levelled at wind energy in this article.Wind power lobbyists falsely claim it provides energy security,creates jobs and reduces CO2 emissions. [Green group think makes it hard to persuade people of this.];"it inflates energy prices;it drives the vulnerable into fuel poverty;it is holding back the economic recovery;it frightens off tourists;it produces low frequency noise...Oh-and it doesn't even reduce carbon emissions...requires near 100% back-up from conventional fossil fuel power..."

"...misery wrought on my beloved Northamptonshire by the ruthless,rapacious and utterly mendacious wind industry has shocked me to the core."

Hardly a corner of the Britain and Ireland will be free of a view dominated by massive turbines 150 metres high if wind power is to make a significant contribution to electric power. That's because the turbines must be spaced widely so they don't interfere with each other and because a vast number of wind farms are needed to compensate for unreliable,intermittent wind currents.

In the present climate of austerity,padding of electricity bills with massive wind farm subsidies should be abolished. The only victims would be the wind farm subsidy junkies.

The System Works

Website
www.thesystemworks.wordpress.com
Twitter
@mendingtheworld
For crying out loud, this insane wind farm policy has already failed elsewhere: Denmark. Yet we learn nothing.

Denmark has the world’s highest density of wind towers. Its blighted much of the landscape. Yet the Danes pay the highest energy prices in Europe (and four times the US average). The wind farms only survive on a 257 million euro annual subsidy. Half of the Danish household electricity cost is tax. Denmark then ends up exporting 50 percent of its wind power to Sweden and Norway, because wind power cannot be turned on and off according to need. Yet the poor Danes happen to be charged for the use of their neighbors’ hydroelectric power, which can be turned on and off.

The Germans have tried the same thing with solar power: $130 billion down the drain, accompanied by a 1% cut in CO2 emissions over 20 years, and a few ‘green jobs’ at the cost of $175,000 a pop.

These subsidies will only create scores of more disasters like the Solyndra boondoggle.

jpc

It doesn't add up.
Beyond a be seen to do something exercise.
Unless all the windfarms are on a separate grid pumping into reservoirs it doesn't make sense. And how much would that cost the taxpayer, because that is who will assume the bill.

Clanrickard

Wind power is a scam and should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

tigerben

The green agenda is the biggest blight visited on people, all it has done it is to raise prices on anything that can be termed Green. The subsidies given is like a green toll road to various companies. They can't lose.

Davidoff

It would certainly be good to see a hard cost/benefit analysis from a reliable and truly independent source.

feargach

It would certainly be good to see a hard cost/benefit analysis from a reliable and truly independent source.
Surely you have all the data you need to analyse the situation yourself.

Ask yourself the following questions:

Is intermittent power better than no power at all?
Are foreign oil providers going to donate free oil to us if, in the future, we have another economic crisis and we find ourselves without anybody to bail us out?
Right now the Troika are giving us enough money to buy all the oil we need; can we expect them to do likewise after the next crisis?

Asking yourself these questions, and answering honestly, is all the analysis you'll need.

potholedogger

Why not back up wind power with pumped storage. Ensure that turbines are only located on premium sites which have 10 times the power output of poorer sites?

wombat

Surely you have all the data you need to analyse the situation yourself.

Ask yourself the following questions:

Is intermittent power better than no power at all?
Are foreign oil providers going to donate free oil to us if, in the future, we have another economic crisis and we find ourselves without anybody to bail us out?
Right now the Troika are giving us enough money to buy all the oil we need; can we expect them to do likewise after the next crisis?

Asking yourself these questions, and answering honestly, is all the analysis you'll need.
I think it's a bit more complicated. We have wind, it's far from being the cure all of the fanatics but it has a place in supplying power. My concern is that wind power is the new property bubble, being developed by cute hours who will be bailed out by the taxpayer.

goosebump

I agree with all of the posters above.

We should wait until the oil runs out and then decide what to do next.

Something's bound to turn up.

Samell

Surely with all the extra rain we are getting hydro would be a better way for Ireland to go as it is much more controllable and less of a visual pollutant.

Man or Mouse

Many serious criticisms are levelled at wind energy in this article.Wind power lobbyists falsely claim it provides energy security,creates jobs and reduces CO2 emissions. [Green group think makes it hard to persuade people of this.];"it inflates energy prices;it drives the vulnerable into fuel poverty;it is holding back the economic recovery;it frightens off tourists;it produces low frequency noise...Oh-and it doesn't even reduce carbon emissions...requires near 100% back-up from conventional fossil fuel power..."

"...misery wrought on my beloved Northamptonshire by the ruthless,rapacious and utterly mendacious wind industry has shocked me to the core."

Hardly a corner of the Britain and Ireland will be free of a view dominated by massive turbines 150 metres high if wind power is to make a significant contribution to electric power. That's because the turbines must be spaced widely so they don't interfere with each other and because a vast number of wind farms are needed to compensate for unreliable,intermittent wind currents.

In the present climate of austerity,padding of electricity bills with massive wind farm subsidies should be abolished. The only victims would be the wind farm subsidy junkies.
I've heard that low frequency noise being blamed for the bees having navigation problems too. Mind you, I've also heard mobile phone signals blamed for their losing the homing instinct so one never really knows these things definitively.

potholedogger

We should not allow sites with average wind speeds of 6 m/s to be developed, when we have sites with average wind speeds of 12 m/s. the latter site has 8 times the power output of the first. Yet 6m/s sites are in use.

Pumped storage is 80% efficient.

Pat Gill

Website
www.energyco-ops.ie
Twitter
Pat_Gill
I think it's a bit more complicated. We have wind, it's far from being the cure all of the fanatics but it has a place in supplying power. My concern is that wind power is the new property bubble, being developed by cute hours who will be bailed out by the taxpayer.
wombat,

Your post seems to be the only one worth responding to.

The vast majority of wind farms in Ireland are owned by our three semi state energy companies, a wind farm receives a guaranteed 6.8c a unit for its output, the cost of a unit of electricity from a gas turbine in the PSO year 2012/13 is 6.4c a unit with the possibility of an additional 9% fuel surcharge being imposed later this year.

Are there any cute hoors with good enough credit ratings left in the country in order to get involved in the energy business ?

I doubt the cute hoors would be interested in getting involved in a productive business as it might tarnish their reputations :lol:

Pat Gill

Website
www.energyco-ops.ie
Twitter
Pat_Gill
I agree with all of the posters above.

We should wait until the oil runs out and then decide what to do next.

Something's bound to turn up.
A mate of mine has bought an elastic band factory, he reckons there are plenty of fools in the world wishing to run their lives with them.

wombat

wombat,

Your post seems to be the only one worth responding to.

The vast majority of wind farms in Ireland are owned by our three semi state energy companies, a wind farm receives a guaranteed 6.8c a unit for its output, the cost of a unit of electricity from a gas turbine in the PSO year 2012/13 is 6.4c a unit with the possibility of an additional 9% fuel surcharge being imposed later this year.

Are there any cute hoors with good enough credit ratings left in the country in order to get involved in the energy business ?
I heard that one of the problems that the ESB have is that there are permits being processed by various groups for small scale developments - sort of reminds me of a well connected newspaper owner and oil exploration or a famous football fan and telephones:lol:

Pat Gill

Website
www.energyco-ops.ie
Twitter
Pat_Gill
I heard that one of the problems that the ESB have is that there are permits being processed by various groups for small scale developments - sort of reminds me of a well connected newspaper owner and oil exploration or a famous football fan and telephones:lol:
One of the major problems for serious players is that back in 2006 plenty of speculators spent some of the profits from flipping apartments on grid connection applications (12K a go) but they then forgot to develop projects and are now trying to sell these grid applications for silly money.

But one by one they are being shot down in flames :p couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of lads and lassies

Volatire

Superb article. Wind power failed to delivery the fuel and co2 savings which were claimed. That's a mathematical fact. Wind power is just another manifestation of innumerate mass delusion.

Stupid government policies helping developers to scam consumers. Developers loading up on debt to build stuff we don't need. Punters on the hook for it. Any of this sound familiar?

Dan_Murphy

Surely with all the extra rain we are getting hydro would be a better way for Ireland to go as it is much more controllable and less of a visual pollutant.
I figure that we will end up using wind for power generation with large water reservoirs as storage when there isn't much wind, but to my knowledge the big problem with hydroelectricity is saltwater wrecking any equipment after a few years.

Visual pollutant is subjective really, I don't think wind turbines look bad at all.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies