Photos of Dublin from 1961

flavirostris

beautiful..a feast for the eyes

EvotingMachine0197

Superb. Thanks for that tenderloins.

The place looks so well in those photos. Clean. And proud.

And the cars are deadly..

johnfás

Its a pity you can barely see Dublin Castle now owing to that absolutely vile looking building that they built in front of it on Dame Street next to City Hall... what were they thinking.

oceanclub

Website
oceanclub.blogspot.com
Yup, I was thinking how nice those pictures of Dame St looked before they "improved" it by road-widening. See also the ruining of Cornmarket in other pics.

P.

Digout

Banned
Looks like it was a very clean city back then, it certainly has not improved with time.

flavirostris

very "Green" back then.. low car ownership, bicycles were the normal mode of transport and plenty of horse-and-carts

Eurocitizen

Banned
They are fab , Dublin actually looked nicer way back then than it does now. It appeared to have soul.

johnfás

O'Connell Street certainly did not improve following its recent renovations. Naturally this is a sketch but it is not unlike how it looked only a few years ago (exclusing Nelson's Pillar of course).

EvotingMachine0197

Its a pity you can barely see Dublin Castle now owing to that absolutely vile looking building that they built in front of it on Dame Street next to City Hall... what were they thinking.
Huh ? That's the old Royal Exchange building isn't it ?

Think I need to consult Google earth, it's a while since I've been round there ..

johnfás

Huh ? That's the old Royal Exchange building isn't it ?

Think I need to consult Google earth, it's a while since I've been round there ..
On the other side, big ugly modern building with something weird sticking out the side of it... replacing what used to be a bit of grass. There is now a Bike Scheme depot right beside it.

It blocks one of the views into the Castle from street level

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=swqrfbgg9x0p&scene=42335541&lvl=2&sty=b&eo=0

alonso

O'Connell Street certainly did not improve following its recent renovations. Naturally this is a sketch but it is not unlike how it looked only a few years ago (exclusing Nelson's Pillar of course).
eh it's been a long long time since you could park your car in the median and a long long time since traffic was that light

let's not get all bleary eyed with nostalgia. That was a city where, behind the grandeur seen here, we had to tear down the tenements, where kids played shoeless on the streets, and where a house was so run down and neglected that it collapsed and killed 3 bystanders.

Progress brings with it many challenges, many of which the city fathers have failed dismally. But jaysus, where was the life in that old town? Where was the driving force? Where was the innovation? That is a picture of a provincial town I see there. Today despite the recent bloodbath we do have a European Capital to rival most.

bananarepublic.ie

Amount Bycles between big green buses and cars are amazing...Motor Cycle/scooters are also cool in that.

johnfás

Alonso, the destruction of trees on O'Connell Street was shameful. Nobody can doubt that there have been huge improvements throughout Dublin City - but it must be recognised that in relation to several large projects they made a right royal mess of what they were doing.