• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Phrases and words we've given to the English language.

GDPR

There are many, many, many, now in common and widespread usage.
I'd like to start a complete list.

"Fair play to you, "Fair play"

Riadach

Giving out to someone.

Central Scrutinizer

I heard once that the Irish phrase 'Is maith sín' is how the English 'Smashing!' came about. Seems weird that such a quintessentially English phrase should originate from this part of the globe.

Riadach

Ex celt

I heard once that the Irish phrase 'Is maith sín' is how the English 'Smashing!' came about. Seems weird that such a quintessentially English phrase should originate from this part of the globe.
Nothing weird about irish attempting to claim kinship/connection with someone/something on spurious or tenuous grounds.
Smashing is the gerund of the verb to smash ie Cromwell smashed the irish.

Riadach

Nothing weird about irish attempting to claim kinship/connection with someone/something on spurious or tenuous grounds.
Smashing is the gerund of the verb to smash ie Cromwell smashed the irish.
That doesn't explain why it corresponds to something being "great" or "excellent", something an Irish or Scots Gaelic etymology does.

I think philology might be beyond you.

Some loanwords:

balbriggan, banshee, blarney, bog, bonnyclabbe, brogue, colcannon, curragh, donnybrook, drumlin, dulse, Eire, Fenian, Gael, galore, hooligan, leprechaun, lough, machree, mavourneen, ogham, poteen, shamrock, shillelagh, smithereens, tanistry, Tory, whiskey.

The second last is a good one.

Riadach

Some loanwords:

balbriggan, banshee, blarney, bog, bonnyclabbe, brogue, colcannon, curragh, donnybrook, drumlin, dulse, Eire, Fenian, Gael, galore, hooligan, leprechaun, lough, machree, mavourneen, ogham, poteen, shamrock, shillelagh, smithereens, tanistry, Tory, whiskey.

The second last is a good one.
The last one is a very good one.