Pick who is in your (realistic) Government

ShoutingIsLeadership

I'd be interested in hearing who people would be willing to settle on as members of the next government. They need to be realistic selections (not Michael Ring as Taoiseach, for example). Based on the current polling numbers and factoring in the hit that SF might have taken this week, who would you settle for? Feel free to create new Departments.

If you could include what way you lean politically and if your opinion has changed over the course of the election, that would help the thread.

As the numbers settle next week, we can revise based on the known figures.

I am left-leaning and in Wicklow. For the last two elections I have been able to vote for Stephen Donnelly...I can't this time as I cannot vote for FF. Not necessarily because of the past, but because it is still controlled by the past (MM) and is far too socially conservative under its current guise for my liking.

I am undecided on my vote, which is a first for me so late in a campaign.

ShoutingIsLeadership

My government –

Taoiseach – Leo Varadkar (shame we can’t have a female). As LV is Taoiseach, this effectively means no FF ministers…I would have included Lisa Chambers and maybe Jim O’Callaghan)

Foreign Affairs – Simon Coveney (Helen McEntee deserves promotion to full ministerial position, but I would leave her in her current Minister of State role, to keep her focused on Europe)

Finance – Paschal Donohoe (SF not ready for it and FF’s SSIA housing scheme is a joke)

Public Expenditure & Reform – Alan Kelly

Children and Children’s Health / Tánaiste – Mary Lou McDonald

Mental Health and Drugs – Ged Nash

Justice – Brendan Howlin

Housing – Eoin Ó Broin

Health – Louise O’Reilly

Climate and Renewable Energy – Catherine Martin

Transport / Defence – Eamon Ryan

Constitutional, Law and Electoral Reform, and Citizen Engagement – Catherine Murphy

Communications and Broadband – Richard Bruton

Diversity and Equality – Kate O’Connell

Agriculture and Rural Affairs – Heather Humphreys

brughahaha

Was watching Eoin O'Broin on TWIP last night and thinking he would be good in a role of overseeing other departments and their targets ...just an impression but he seems to have a good grasp on a wide range of issues and I wouldnt like to appear in front of him without knowing my stuff.

I like Doherty too , finance obviously

ShoutingIsLeadership

Was watching Eoin O'Broin on TWIP last night and thinking he would be good in a role of overseeing other departments and their targets ...just an impression but he seems to have a good grasp on a wide range of issues and I wouldnt like to appear in front of him without knowing my stuff.

I like Doherty too , finance obviously
Is that a new department? Give it a name...

Who would you put in housing if you had taken him out of there?

runwiththewind

My government –

Taoiseach – Leo Varadkar (shame we can’t have a female). As LV is Taoiseach, this effectively means no FF ministers…I would have included Lisa Chambers and maybe Jim O’Callaghan)

Foreign Affairs – Simon Coveney (Helen McEntee deserves promotion to full ministerial position, but I would leave her in her current Minister of State role, to keep her focused on Europe)

Finance – Paschal Donohoe (SF not ready for it and FF’s SSIA housing scheme is a joke)

Public Expenditure & Reform – Alan Kelly

Children and Children’s Health / Tánaiste – Mary Lou McDonald

Mental Health and Drugs – Ged Nash

Justice – Brendan Howlin

Housing – Eoin Ó Broin

Health – Louise O’Reilly

Climate and Renewable Energy – Catherine Martin

Transport / Defence – Eamon Ryan

Constitutional, Law and Electoral Reform, and Citizen Engagement – Catherine Murphy

Communications and Broadband – Richard Bruton

Diversity and Equality – Kate O’Connell

Agriculture and Rural Affairs – Heather Humphreys

All the top jobs for the men. Some things never change.

ShoutingIsLeadership

All the top jobs for the men. Some things never change.
I am restricted to the two male options for Taoiseach. I literally said that it's a shame that I can't pick a female Taoiseach. I want to keep Coveney for Brexit. I am not moving Paschal, and the main alternative is male anyway.

I explained why I did not promote Helen McEntee. And the Tānaiste would be female, and I have a minister for equality and diversity.

Instead of a throwaway line, how about you nominate your realistic cabinet?

Dame_Enda

I dont want SF anywhere near Government Buildings. I find FGs Jekyll and Hyde economic policy, combining waste (the hospital overspend) with austerity (AWOL on housing and health) nearly as infuriating.

I might be able to live with the Social Democrats and the Greens. I'm okay with Independents too. The first two voted against the repressive, Magdalene-inspired Swedish model . FF would probably resist repealing it, given the obvious social conservatism of its rank and file, despite its liberal leadership. Then again they resisted decriminalisation of homosexuality, contraception, abortion and introduction of equal marriage for decades in some cases.

I disagree with all the current Dail parties on migration and attempts by FF and the Left parties to overturn the birthright citizenship restrictions. But I prefer FGs attempts to block these reforms.

There are no easy options for people with complicated political perspectives like me. I'm broadly speaking a social libertarian (except on migration) but I have concluded that the free market approach to housing has failed dismally and relies on a rehash of Victorian free market idolatry, which sacrifices the homeless and sick on its altar.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I dont want SF anywhere near Government Buildings. I find FGs Jekyll and Hyde economic policy, combining waste (the hospital overspend) with austerity (AWOL on housing and health) nearly as infuriating.

I might be able to live with the Social Democrats and the Greens. I'm okay with Independents too. The first two voted against the repressive, Magdalene-inspired Swedish model . FF would probably resist repealing it, given the obvious social conservatism of its rank and file, despite its liberal leadership. Then again they resisted decriminalisation of homosexuality, contraception, abortion and introduction of equal marriage for decades in some cases.

I disagree with all the current Dail parties on migration and attempts by FF and the Left parties to overturn the birthright citizenship restrictions. But I prefer FGs attempts to block these reforms.

There are no easy options for people with complicated political perspectives like me. I'm broadly speaking a social libertarian, but I have concluded that the free market approach to housing has failed dismally and relies on a rehash of Victorian free market idolatry, which sacrifices the homeless and sick on its altar.
Take a stab at a cabinet

Dame_Enda

Take a stab at a cabinet
Okay here goes:

Taoiseach: Micheal Martin
Tánaiste and Environment: Eamon Ryan
Finance: Stephen Donnelly or Michael McGrath
Justice: Jim O'Callaghan
Foreign Affairs: Lisa Chambers
Defence: Jack Chambers
Finance: Catherine Murphy
Education: Mary Hanafin
Transport: Catherine Martin
Health: Stephen Donnelly
Housing: Mary Lou McDonald
Agriculture and Marine: Peadar Toibin
Culture, Heritage and Gaeltacht: Dara Calleary or Eamon O'Cúiv

Last edited:

barrym

Okay here goes:

In the infamous words of McEnroe, you have to be joking. If there was even an iota of reality in that lot, I am happy to be out of the country at the mo, and cannot vote. That way I won't have to take any responsibility for the creation of whatever bunch of morons, spivs and chancers we have for a government.

locke

I think that's almost the most realistic given, except that a) if Sinn Féin are in they get more than one portfolio. b) if Sinn Féin and the Greens are in, there's no role for Tóibin who isn't needed.

I reckon we are heading towards FF/Green, with FG confidence and supply.

We'll probably see a bit of a rejig, e.g. move sport to culture, so I'm using broad titles below

With that a realistic and capable cabinet is

Taoiseach: Micheál Martin
Tánaiste and Transport: Eamon Ryan
Finance: Michael McGrath
Foreign Affairs: Dara Calleary
Education: Lisa Chambers
Communications & Environment: Malcolm Byrne
Enterprise: Robert Troy
Agriculture: Niamh Smyth
Social Protection: Charlie McConalogue
Culture: Catherine Martin
Children: Anne Rabbitte
Housing and Local Government: Green. Depends a bit on who gets elected, but Mark Dearey, Roderic O'Gorman and Malcolm Noonan in the frame

And to be honest, although I won't vote for FF I could live with that cabinet.

What I'd hate to see is the resurrection of the dinosaurs in Fianna Fáil

Of course, geography will come into it too and two TDs from Mayo, two from Cork South Central and two from Dublin Bay South becomes a touch awkward.

dinnyMEP

Twitter
apathy
Tánaiste and Communications & Environment:: Eamon Ryan
Foreign Affairs: Brendan Howlin
Education: Sean Sherlock
Agriculture Charlie McConalogue
Social Protection: Roisin Shorthall
Culture: Niamh Smyth
Children: Catherine Martin
Housing and Local Government: Dara Calleary
Transport: Lisa Chambers

Last edited:

toughbutfair

I assume everyone agrees that two out of FG, FF and SF will be required.

FG love cowboy builders, venture funds and the black and tans.
FF were the most corrupt and brought us to the IMF.
SF have actual IRA thug connections.
I cannot imagine a realistic government that I don't despise.

McTell

Twitter
No
Okay here goes:

//
Grand, but what's the hurry? It took them all 2 months to wrangle it the last time.

Cards have to be held and played. Held again and replayed. Then comes the magic moment, as in "No country for old men":

It will be brought to me and placed at my feet.

Uganda

Okay here goes:

the one ouch point is Mary hanafin. Appalling.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I think that's almost the most realistic given, except that a) if Sinn Féin are in they get more than one portfolio. b) if Sinn Féin and the Greens are in, there's no role for Tóibin who isn't needed.

I reckon we are heading towards FF/Green, with FG confidence and supply.

We'll probably see a bit of a rejig, e.g. move sport to culture, so I'm using broad titles below

With that a realistic and capable cabinet is

Tánaiste and Transport: Eamon Ryan
Foreign Affairs: Dara Calleary
Education: Lisa Chambers
Communications & Environment: Malcolm Byrne
Agriculture: Niamh Smyth
Social Protection: Charlie McConalogue
Culture: Catherine Martin
Children: Anne Rabbitte
Housing and Local Government: Green. Depends a bit on who gets elected, but Mark Dearey, Roderic O'Gorman and Malcolm Noonan in the frame

And to be honest, although I won't vote for FF I could live with that cabinet.

What I'd hate to see is the resurrection of the dinosaurs in Fianna Fáil

Of course, geography will come into it too and two TDs from Mayo, two from Cork South Central and two from Dublin Bay South becomes a touch awkward.
To see Martin as Taoiseach would be a great trauma to the nation. If I never hear his voice again it would be too soon

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
The Departments name seems to change every 5 or 10 years and FG are seemingly not going to be in Government after this GE but if they were I would have if I had the choice Fergus O'Dowd as the senior Minister for whatever department the Gaeltacht is covered in primarily. He's tough, a fluent Irish speaker and he doesn't represent a Gaeltacht area in his home constituency so he is a lot less likely to be pushed around by some Gaeltacht-based activists or groups.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies