Pick who is in your (realistic) Government

Gin Soaked

the one ouch point is Mary hanafin. Appalling.
Hanafin will only get a ministry if there are seriously no other women in FF.

She bullied her way back onto the ticket and is totally off message. Out of date by 20 years, and that is being nice.

Also despised in the local party machine.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Hanafin will only get a ministry if there are seriously no other women in FF.

She bullied her way back onto the ticket and is totally off message. Out of date by 20 years, and that is being nice.

Also despised in the local party machine.
I heard her on the radio yesterday talking about her proven track record in government.

Utterly shameless. She should go away and live on her pensions.

locke

I'm no expert on the constituency, but odds say Hanafin is very much the 2nd FF candidate there.

Gin Soaked

I'm no expert on the constituency, but odds say Hanafin is very much the 2nd FF candidate there.
Yep. Cormac will get a decent pref. Hanafin will be competing with RBB and the Shinner for last pref.

Emily Davison

Interesting that only one of the proposed cabinets has 6 female ministers.

That's probably the minimum needed to spare the Taoiseach from accusations of misogyny.
Trust you to always focus on the female aspect.

Emily Davison

SIL I’d put Pearse Doherty in Finance instead of Pascal.

in any case I wonder will Leo punish Pascal for the Noonan stunt last week.

Baron von Biffo

Trust you to always focus on the female aspect.
The hate speech aren't perfectly honed as yet Emily so I'm allowed to comment on all aspects of our democratic process.

It's a legitimate concern that we no longer have free elections and that ability is now a secondary criterion for a Taoiseach when choosing his cabinet.

If any of the proposed cabinets with four or five female ministers were to be introduced to the Dail after this election then the first criticism would be that there weren't enough women.

I know you're not one who thinks beyond the surface of things but it really is important for us that substance trumps appearance when selecting our most powerful politicians.

ShoutingIsLeadership

SIL I’d put Pearse Doherty in Finance instead of Pascal.

in any case I wonder will Leo punish Pascal for the Noonan stunt last week.
No way would FG or FF go into power with a SF finance minister...And Paschal (assuming he gets elected!) is the anointed one. Cleverly has positioned himself as never wanting to be leader, which means that he will be leader one day

ShoutingIsLeadership

There are too many examples across the world of polarised systems which result in divided nations. We're doing well but there is room for improvement. Our radical change really won't be that radical at all in an international context (should it materialise)

Emily Davison

The hate speech aren't perfectly honed as yet Emily so I'm allowed to comment on all aspects of our democratic process.

It's a legitimate concern that we no longer have free elections and that ability is now a secondary criterion for a Taoiseach when choosing his cabinet.

If any of the proposed cabinets with four or five female ministers were to be introduced to the Dail after this election then the first criticism would be that there weren't enough women.

I know you're not one who thinks beyond the surface of things but it really is important for us that substance trumps appearance when selecting our most powerful politicians.
Don’t forget diversity, Leo is gay, and lord knows who else is after Philip Schofield yesterday.

that’s a neat truck you have there of trying to hide your misogyny behind your ‘concern’ about competence while insinuating women are a) incompetent and b) only there because they are female.

Emily Davison

No way would FG or FF go into power with a SF finance minister...And Paschal (assuming he gets elected!) is the anointed one. Cleverly has positioned himself as never wanting to be leader, which means that he will be leader one day
It never fails to amaze me what politicians might do to cling to power, it will be an interesting week.

Did you decide who you were voting for?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Emily/Biffo- that was the whole purpose of this thread. Pick the cabinet from the realistic options and see what you come up with. In doing it, it highlighted to me just how few experienced and competent politicians there are in the Dail. Give it a go

Baron von Biffo

There are too many examples across the world of polarised systems which result in divided nations. We're doing well but there is room for improvement.
But that doesn't answer the question of why it you think parliament should reflect society.

Our radical change really won't be that radical at all in an international context (should it materialise)
It won't even be radical in the Irish context.

Between this GE and the last one the change will be that SF may increase its seat count by a maximum of 19 and FG will lose a similar number.

That's not radical change in the Dail, it's just a change in the arithmetic.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies