Pick who is in your (realistic) Government

ShoutingIsLeadership

But that doesn't answer the question of why it you think parliament should reflect society.

It won't even be radical in the Irish context.

Between this GE and the last one the change will be that SF may increase its seat count by a maximum of 19 and FG will lose a similar number.

That's not radical change in the Dail, it's just a change in the arithmetic.
If it doesn't reflect society then eventually people feel that they have no voice and no stake in society. We have seen the consequences of that in the UK recently. Imagine our parliament with an FPTP system

Emily Davison

SIL I can’t vote of course, but I’d not be able to predict. I don’t think they are as incompetent as you make out.

Poster Making Waves would make an excellent minister for Transport - see Luxembourg thread.

Baron von Biffo

Don’t forget diversity, Leo is gay, and lord knows who else is after Philip Schofield yesterday.
I have no idea who Philip Schofield is but what possible relevance does Varadkar's sexuality have on his ability to do his job?

that’s a neat truck you have there of trying to hide your misogyny behind your ‘concern’ about competence while insinuating women are a) incompetent and b) only there because they are female.
It's no trick of mine at all. That's just you viewing what I write through the distorting lens of your paranoia.

When Eileen Desmond, Maire Geoghegan-Quinn, Gemma Hussey and others were ministers no one said they only had the job because of their sex. They got their positions on merit and were in every professional respect the same as their male colleagues.

It wouldn't matter a dam to me if all 15 people around the cabinet table were women so long as that came about without compulsion. What I oppose, and what anyone interested in good government ought to oppose, is the idea that the sex, or any other irrelevant characteristic, of a candidate is superior to their ability when determining if they should be in cabinet.

I'm no Utopian and I know that factors like geography and internal party matters have and will continue to have an influence on the choices a Taoiseach makes when picking his team. That doesn't mean we ought to add other poor criteria.

Just a final point. Without Googling, can you name any female FF TD other than Lisa Chambers from the last Dail?

I'm guessing you can't, yet despite being invisible for the last 3 turbulent years, the demand for 'gender balance' means that at least 2 and possibly 3 of them will join Chambers at the cabinet table if Martin is Taoiseach.

Emily Davison

I’m struggling to remember Biffo, give me a minute, I won’t google.

Emily Davison

There was Bertie, Linehan in finance, justice? Martin was health.

Armchair Activist

IF its a FF/FG government... expect another election pretty soon. The people want SF, their only mistake is not running more candidates.

May Lou, will be Taoiseach one way or another

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies