Pieta House pushes anti male gender theory

silverharp

At Electric picnic next week Pieta House appears it will be pushing the anti male "patriarchy" theory and its just assumed to be true while their talk for women is how to be a better woman. So basically men should become less masculine give up and bend the knee to the superior gender. If this is indicative of how their counselling services works Im not sure I'd have faith in what they are telling men with mental issues behind closed doors. Has feminism corrupted all NGO's at this stage?

Electric Picnic Full Line-Up | A Lust For Life

8.30pm – 10pm : Locker Room Talk: Inside the hearts, minds and bodies of Men in Ireland

Masculinity and Mental Health

Host: Tony Griffin

Panel: Colm Keegan (Poet, Writer), Jack McGrath (Ireland and Leinster Rugby Star), Diarmuid Lyng (Former Wexford Hurler Captain, Broadcaster), Michael Harding (Author, Playwright)

What are the issues closest to the hearts, bodies and minds of men in Ireland today?

Why are these issues kept under lock + key? What would it feel like to talk openly about the things that we feel uncomfortable talking about?

We live in an extreme patriarchal society that is increasingly pushing people to their limits, how is this affecting our men? Masculinity is being graded according to macho hardness, sexual prowess, status, money and power, how does this affect mental health? What is needed to create a society in which our men can express their true masculine power in a healthy way ? What are the rites of passage and initiations required to support men grow from childhood into adulthood in the best way possible? Who are the male role models in the world today? Why are so many men hurting right now and what are we going to do about it?

ireallyshouldknowbetter

We live in an extreme patriarchal society
LOL, if Ireland is an extreme patriarchal society, what does that make Saudi Arabia?

(The answer is shut up we don't talk about Saudi Arabia, brown people's patriarchies are part of the rich cultural diversity)

cricket

At Electric picnic next week Pieta House appears it will be pushing the anti male "patriarchy" theory and its just assumed to be true while their talk for women is how to be a better woman. So basically men should become less masculine give up and bend the knee to the superior gender. If this is indicative of how their counselling services works Im not sure I'd have faith in what they are telling men with mental issues behind closed doors. Has feminism corrupted all NGO's at this stage?

" bend the knee to the superior gender".. a pretty wild interpretation of the agenda shown here. Quite an appropriate topic given the suicide levels amongst males.

occams_butterknife

identifying patriarchies isn't being anti-man. Men have abused their traditional position in society. That's a fact.

I find this kind of stuff to be slightly pathetic though:

Masculinity is being graded according to macho hardness, sexual prowess, status, money and power, how does this affect mental health?
This is dangerously close to being a childish caricature of men.

So what they will do is take that handful of men --let's say, the money-grubbing, wife beaters and pussy gropers-- that define themselves in these terms and base an entire discussion on it as though all men were this way. It's childish... so electric picnic is prob a good place for it, EP being a meeting point for culturally challenged immature professionals on the brink of middle-age :D

Dame_Enda

There is a great deal of discrimination against women in our society, and the govt should act to address the problem particularly in workplace pay and conditions. However we must not resort to the feminist extremism of California where men are denied knowledge of what they are accused of in sexual assault allegations in universities, which has destroyed many innocent students lives because of the Obama admins Title IX guidelines. Thankfully Betsy DeVos seems likely to change these guidelines.

Levellers

What you should have highlighted instead of running around shrieking about nasty women is 'Masculinity is being graded according to macho hardness, sexual prowess, status, money and power, how does this affect mental health?'

These are the issues causing young males problems.

Mick Mac

LOL, if Ireland is an extreme patriarchal society, what does that make Saudi Arabia?

(The answer is shut up we don't talk about Saudi Arabia, brown people's patriarchies are part of the rich cultural diversity)
Awkward, offensive, demeaning statement!

But none the less true.

Opposition to the patriarchy must first and foremost by safe... careful now don't offend anyone in your quest for equality.

silverharp

identifying patriarchies isn't being anti-man. Men have abused their traditional position in society. That's a fact.

I find this kind of stuff to be slightly pathetic though:

So what they will do is take that handful of men --let's say, the money-grubbing, wife beaters and pussy gropers-- that define themselves in these terms and base an entire discussion on it as though all men were this way. It's childish... so electric picnic is prob a good place for it, EP being a meeting point for culturally challenged immature professionals on the brink of middle-age :D
point taken about the EP audience petunia

Dame_Enda

If Soros has anything to do with this I would advise steer clear.

sic transit

Actually it just points out that men can't really talk about things and they are expected to man up all the time. Stupid term sure ,but it sort of covers it if you're into nonsensical sociology terminology. It might even be an interesting discussion! :)

ireallyshouldknowbetter

Mmmm, it's almost as if this US style identity politicking isn't grounded in reality.

We're such an "extreme" woman-hating patriarchy that we've made it legal to discriminate against men in favour of women, even unto the highest legislative body in the land, supported by those patriarchal b@stards in the High Court (https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0202/764747-gender-quotas-challenge/).

The funny thing about this stupid talk, of course, is that Irish men are terrified of women and the Irish mammy has been a fearsome figure in families for at least 3 or 4 generations. We're probably the worst example you could come up for an "extreme patriarchal society". Arguably, we're more of a matriarchal society.

silverharp

What you should have highlighted instead of running around shrieking about nasty women is 'Masculinity is being graded according to macho hardness, sexual prowess, status, money and power, how does this affect mental health?'

These are the issues causing young males problems.
Men have always had the challenge to compete and find their place in life yet suicide only went up since the 80's just when society started to run down and role of men

GDPR

I wonder though are these people really Feminists?

If someone is not strongly opposed to the "Transgender" agenda and the "Adult Entertainment Industry", I'm sorry but they are no Feminist, and depending on their reasoning abilities if they are a woman they are not just a non-Feminist woman (as I am) but a disgusting gender traitor. I don't see Feminism as wholly bad, I'm actually quite an admirer of Mary Daly, and I would be a big fan of Feminism's rigorous ethic of personal integrity and respect and love for our Sister the Earth and her non-human foster children. A lot of what Feminism says about male evil is indeed correct, the thing is that we are just as evil as men in general though we tend to be so very often in different ways. While Feminists can acknowledge this from time to time they nearly always attribute these evils to male dominance. Mary Daly used to read a passage at the very least from St Augustine each day (something I used to do as well but have gotten out of the habit of) who cut the heart of human corruption such as no one else- however she didn't allow her self to see that this corruption captures both genders and not just men, which was her tragedy.

silverharp

Mmmm, it's almost as if this US style identity politicking isn't grounded in reality.

We're such an "extreme" woman-hating patriarchy that we've made it legal to discriminate against men in favour of women, even unto the highest legislative body in the land, supported by those patriarchal b@stards in the High Court (https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0202/764747-gender-quotas-challenge/).

The funny thing about this stupid talk, of course, is that Irish men are terrified of women and the Irish mammy has been a fearsome figure in families for at least 3 or 4 generations. We're probably the worst example you could come up for an "extreme patriarchal society". Arguably, we're more of a matriarchal society.
yeah looking at my grandfathers generation when I was a kid it was more a case of feckit we have given up, we will be in the pub

Lara2

Certainly wouldn't be my choice of fare at the Electric Picnic. Heard a snippet of a woman talking about this on radio1 yesterday, possibly on the SOR show with Cormac O Headra, probably the main organiser, she was quite loud and demanding that people go, which was an instant no-no for me, it's a festival FFS, where people go to have the craic and forget about their troubles. Do they seriously think someone suffering from suicidal tendencies is going to be at the Electric Picnic???

Also Dr Ciara must be creaming it in, she's on everything in the media particularly radio and the press, how does she ever find the time to look after her clinic's patients. Her voice is so shrill and domineering combined with that Dooort accent and her absolute rigid belief in herself that she is right ALL THE TIME. It was probably her on talking to Cormac O'Headra.

ELECTRIC PICNIC is a music, theatre and arts festival. Amnesty and all the rest should just leave it alone. I remember being there in 2011 and 2012, it was great. The biggest queues were for the ATMs and Amnesty campaigners with their clipboards would be up bothering every single person in the queue.

occams_butterknife

Isn't Ireland consistently ranked in the top 20 countries in the world to be a woman?

Doesn't mean we can't improve, but it does expose the more militant feminists as being deluded into a state of permanent outrage.

In that context, this event is a pity party for some of the most privileged people --male or female-- on the face of the planet.

Gin Soaked

Masculinity and growing up as a man, has changed a lot in three decades.

Without a good job, men become infantalised. Traveller men and welfare class men have this in spades, resorting to feckless and unfulfilling lives.

Quite often, depression sufferers are utterly rational in their despair, and need positive routes out of this. They need role models they can respect and are authentic.

Again, within a working environment, employers can have a massive impact in terms of self worth, achievement, and identity.

Without that, masculinity is hard to define. What would be great is if there were positive role models for stay at home dads . They deserve massive admiration in taking on a very different role and facing into the wind of traditional expectations...

Lara2

Isn't the highest number of suicides by young males? Why have they got mostly shrill, confident women speaking?

Christ, a real downer at the Electric Picnic there, feck that. It's PARTY time FFS.
Believe me, if anyone knows stuff about depression then it's me. Why would I want to go and see this?
Bad move from Pieta House.

If anyone would have you running for the hills Dr Ciara Kelly is a strong contender.

ireallyshouldknowbetter

Isn't Ireland consistently ranked in the top 20 countries in the world to be a woman?
Yes, we were ranked number 17 in the best countries to live in as a woman list 2017 The best countries to live in if you're a woman - Business Insider.

Incidentally, Sweden was ranked best.

Doesn't mean we can't improve, but it does expose the more militant feminists as being deluded into a state of permanent outrage.
Every single feminist at that talk will be a middle-class person with no actual problems to be worrying about, but a raging oppression fetish to be satisfied.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies