Piketty - The richest 0.1% increased their combined wealth.

Socratus O' Pericles

Through judicious use of tax evasion, tax havens and generally placing themselves outside the law the wealthy continue their historical ability to increase their share at the expense of the bottom tiers ( economically speaking) of society. I

the richest 1% of the global population “captured” 27% of the world’s wealth growth between 1980 and 2016. And the richest of the rich increased their wealth by even more. The top 0.1% gained 13% of the world’s wealth, and the top 0.001% – about 76,000 people – collected 4% of all the new wealth created since 1980.

WORLD INEQUALITY REPORT Home | World Inequality Report 2018

since 1980, income inequality has increased rapidly in north america, china, India, and Russia. Inequality has grown moderately in europe (Figure E2a). From a broad historical perspective, this increase in inequality marks the end of a postwar egalitarian regime which took different forms in these regions.
https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/dec/14/world-richest-increased-wealth-same-amount-as-poorest-half

My question is when will the correction come and what will it look like, who will be the Romanovs next time?

Last edited:

'orebel

Through judicious use of tax evasion, tax havens and generally placing themselves outside the law the wealthy continue their historical ability to get wealthy at the expense of the bottom tiers ( economically speaking) of society. I

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/dec/14/world-richest-increased-wealth-same-amount-as-poorest-half

My question is when will the correction come and what will it look like, who will be the Romanovs next time?
Nothing to see here. Get back to work.

hammer

Have we any statistics for Ireland.

Say
Top 10% of tax payers earn in excess of € xxx,xxx
Top 10% of citizens have a wealth in excess of € x,xxx,xxx
Top 10% of landlords have xx properties

making waves

Revolutionary upheavals are inevitable - the only question is what character these upheavals take and what the outcome will be.

There is currently a mass uprising taking place in Honduras (not the the Irish media would ever inform us of such international matters) against the attempts by the current corrupt outgoing regime to rig the elections in Honduras. Not surprisingly Trump is backing the corrupt JOH presidency. There are mass protests, rioting, nighttime curfews, the army on the streets - and it is still to be determined what direction and outcome will develop, specifically will it develop into a full-blown revolution?

Revolutionary upheavals are inevitable and are occurring at an increasing rate as a result of the growing global inequality driven by financial capital.

In Ireland the richest 300 people have seen their wealth double from €50billion to €100billion since 2008, during the worst economic crisis since the 1930s (an economic crisis that is far from over).

Socratus O' Pericles

Have we any statistics for Ireland.

Say
Top 10% of tax payers earn in excess of € xxx,xxx
Top 10% of citizens have a wealth in excess of € x,xxx,xxx
Top 10% of landlords have xx properties
Maybe not quite what you are looking for but:

https://www.tasc.ie/download/pdf/the_distribution_of_wealth_in_ireland_final.pdf

Edit:

IRELAND
The Top 10% For the Top 10%, the Credit Suisse data shows that they have 58.5% of household net wealth, while the survey data from the CSO is similar if slightly lower at 53.8%. Both studies are clear that the top 10% have more than half of all the net wealth in Ireland. It is the concentration within the Top 10% where the two studies really differ.  Credit Suisse data shows the Top 5% has 46.4% of total net wealth and the Top 1% has 27.3%.  The CSO survey data shows that the Top 5% have 37.7% while the Top 1% has 14.8%.

Last edited:

Socratus O' Pericles

Now here IS something that’s wrong with the EU:

The French economist argues that within a free trade zone like the EU, there needs to be common taxes on the richest companies and individuals, because they benefit the most from the absence of tariffs. These taxes would provide a communal revenue source to pay for public goods such as infrastructure and education. “You need these public revenues, otherwise globalization and free trade cannot work,” he says. Trade agreements should include a “strong component about fiscal justice,” such as minimum tax rates on corporate profits.
https://qz.com/1155448/thomas-piketty-says-the-us-is-setting-a-bad-example-on-inequality-for-the-world/

ednw1

Recessions are always good for those that have money to increase what they have.

stopdoingstuff

Through judicious use of tax evasion, tax havens and generally placing themselves outside the law the wealthy continue their historical ability to increase their share at the expense of the bottom tiers ( economically speaking) of society. I

Through the central bank printing money, which flows to those who already have money, and therefore can buy up assets before everyone else, the rich get richer. That the is the key- access to printed money, which creates a run up in prices.

Cruimh

Why does it need a "correction"? Read your bible. The parable of the wise and foolish virgins etc.

derryman

Ye are all jealous of me.

Socratus O' Pericles

Why does it need a "correction"? Read your bible. The parable of the wise and foolish virgins etc.
Is that the book where a lad looks for a dowry of 100 foreskins.? Bit of a drawback.

Socratus O' Pericles

It seems to be an historical cycle, the rich get too rich and the lower orders rush to the barricades. Peasant revolts were commmon throughout the world, 1789, 1917, China 1949, and so on. Eventually the serious imbalance provokes a reaction.

Cruimh

It seems to be an historical cycle, the rich get too rich and the lower orders rush to the barricades. Peasant revolts were commmon throughout the world, 1789, 1917, China 1949, and so on. Eventually the serious imbalance provokes a reaction.
Why would a camel want to get through the eye of a needle?

If as you say you are correct and it is a cycle, why bother trying to even things out as a new rich will arise and we'll be back to square one.

New Threads

Most Replies