• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

PJ Sheehan resigns as party spokesman

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Fine Gael TD PJ Sheehan has resigned his position as Deputy Spokesperson on Agriculture following a meeting with Enda Kenny this afternoon.

It was reported yesterday that Sheehan had drunkenly threatened a member of the Garda Siochana in July on the grounds of Leinster House.

The statement issued moments ago by the FG Press Office is below.

Personal statement by PJ Sheehan TD

"Following a discussion today with Fine Gael Leader Enda Kenny TD, I have tendered my resignation as Deputy Spokesperson on Agriculture with Special Responsibility for Forestry, with immediate effect.

"I have advised the Party Leader that I do not want to be considered for any other position.

"I will continue to work diligently on behalf of my constituents in Cork South West."

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
So... because he was bold he can't speak on Forestry... but is expected to be able to do all the other duties of a TD ?

Facts are
1) He threatened a garda's career in July
2) The Gardaí had to investigate
3) Only yesterday, after his hand was forced by the media, did he say he intended to apologise to the threatened Garda
4) Enda Kenny knew all about this, was there on the night in question... the resignation is only due to it having become public

cYp

reknaw

"I will continue to work diligently on behalf of my constituents in Cork South West."
How nice for them! I wonder does it include not jeopardising their lives and health by driving when drunk?

Incidentally, it would be interesting to hear if Gaybo has any comment on the horrible example that this legislator has set and the way in which his actions have undermined efforts to foster a more responsible attitude to traffic safety.

Isn't Gaybo some kind of road safety czar these days?:rolleyes:

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
So... because he was bold he can't speak on Forestry... but is expected to be able to do all the other duties of a TD ?

Facts are
3) Only yesterday, after his hand was forced by the media, did he say he intended to apologise to the threatened Garda
4) Enda Kenny knew all about this, was there on the night in question... the resignation is only due to it having become public

cYp
Are you suggesting he resign as a TD?

breakingnews

He's passed it.

I'm not quite sure he has made any contribution to Irish politics?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Are you suggesting he resign as a TD?
Well the duties of a TD are far more significant than those of a Forestry spokesperson

Taking away the Forestry spokesperson is just PR guff

This is something that isn't just a drunken incident, it is the lack of apology after

Rather than reduce his workload... I would have required him to give something back

Have him say ... promote the activities of AA, or 100 hours work with some such similar voluntary organisation

When you campare what he got away with, to say Phil Hogan resigning real power over a fax goof...

cYp

culmore

again FG has done the decent thing and he resigns, how unlike The Dull and Wille who were defended to the end, I forget about burke, and the others

meriwether

Well the duties of a TD are far more significant than those of a Forestry spokesperson

Taking away the Forestry spokesperson is just PR guff

This is something that isn't just a drunken incident, it is the lack of apology after

Rather than reduce his workload... I would have required him to give something back

Have him say ... promote the activities of AA, or 100 hours work with some such similar voluntary organisation

When you campare what he got away with, to say Phil Hogan resigning real power over a fax goof...

cYp
Taking away the forestry role is the only thing Kenny can take away from him, because its the only role Kenny gave him.

Kenny did not give him a seat in Dail Eireann. He won it in an election. Ergo, it is not in Kenny's powers to take it away from him.
The only people who can do that are Sheehan by resigning, and his electorate.

yehbut_nobut

Taking away the forestry role is the only thing Kenny can take away from him, because its the only role Kenny gave him.

Kenny did not give him a seat in Dail Eireann. He won it in an election. Ergo, it is not in Kenny's powers to take it away from him.
The only people who can do that are Sheehan by resigning, and his electorate.
And the FG whip?

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Too little too late by Enda Kenny. Why did the FG leader and potentially the leader of this country ask a Garda to "ignore him"?

Last edited:

olamp

Fine Gael TD PJ Sheehan has resigned his position as Deputy Spokesperson on Agriculture following a meeting with Enda Kenny this afternoon.

It was reported yesterday that Sheehan had drunkenly threatened a member of the Garda Siochana in July on the grounds of Leinster House.

The statement issued moments ago by the FG Press Office is below.
Liveline strikes again!

The OD

Facts are

cYp
Its very, very disheartening to know that this man and Enda Kenny are our 'alternative' to the current idiots.

What I want to know is, why has this only come to light now, why was there no attempt to arrest him for his attempt to commit a crime, why did he only feel necessary to apologise when it came to light, why does he think he is suitable to represent people if he cares nothing for peoples welfare, is a nasty, lower class little man with a spiteful streak and obviously is either in the grip of an alcohol addiction or is just a complete and utter gobshyte if he thinks it OK to drive when drunk.

A filthy scumbag of the highest order.

An Gilladaker

again FG has done the decent thing and he resigns, how unlike The Dull and Wille who were defended to the end, I forget about burke, and the others
No different than FF Kenny knew what happened on the night why wait till it hit the papers same oul say nothing till you hear more;)

YoungLiberal

Are you suggesting he resign as a TD?[/QUOTE

Yes, a drunken TD who threatens members of the Garda Siochana is unfit to hold public office.
If we were starting from scratch I'd so okay. But when, Flynn, Ahern, Lowry are TDs and Callelly is a Senator, I think we ought to let the deputy be on this one.

Unless, you agree all the aforementioned should resign. Somehow, I don't think you do.

grassroots

Are you suggesting he resign as a TD?[/QUOTE

Yes, a drunken TD who threatens members of the Garda Siochana is unfit to hold public office.
Which part of that disqualifies him from holding public office. a) Public Drunkenness b) threatening behaviour.
As it happens, I think you are correct on both counts. However, it is up the PJ to decide if he wants to resign and if he does not, it will be up to his electors to settle his fate next time.

Should An Taoiseach resign due to his act(s) of public drunkeness?

YoungLiberal

Which part of that disqualifies him from holding public office. a) Public Drunkenness b) threatening behaviour.
As it happens, I think you are correct on both counts. However, it is up the PJ to decide if he wants to resign and if he does not, it will be up to his electors to settle his fate next time.

Should An Taoiseach resign due to his act(s) of public drunkeness?
When has An Taoiseach been publicly drunk?

The OD

If we were starting from scratch I'd so okay. But when, Flynn, Ahern, Lowry are TDs and Callelly is a Senator, I think we ought to let the deputy be on this one.

Unless, you agree all the aforementioned should resign. Somehow, I don't think you do.
Leave him be? If it was up to me, all the above would have been dealt with by the courts in the same manner as some 19 year old from Finglas or Moyross would be instead of the kid glove treatment and outright interference and manipulation of the system that is used to ensure only the 'commoners' are subject to the full rigours of the law.

Actually, scratch that, I'd just shoot them. More fun.