d7bohs

....and giving Eamon Ryan an easy ride. FFS

firefly123

Pat would not like labour in power. Big pay cut if that happens

Cato

Are you surprised?

Fail Better

Pat's posturing.

Pat is becoming seriously irritating. Particularly his posturing around a possible coalition programme for government. The way he goes on you'd think that Ireland has never had a coalition government before. Just posturing really, beyond tiresome.

Tea Party Patriot

Until Labour actually show some figures to the Irish electorate they are going to get a lot more treatment like from journalists.

Right now they are like a form of Fianna Fáil, lots of waffle, spin and no concrete figures or substantance.

Desperate Dan

Pat is becoming seriously irritating. Particularly his posturing around a possible coalition programme for government. The way he goes on you'd think that Ireland has never had a coalition government before. Just posturing really, beyond tiresome.
Its the first I heard a politician state we go for an election before Christmas form a Govt. bring in a budget and then discus a program for Govt. Get real.:mad: its the first time I agreed with the Plank and that wasn't easy.:eek:

setanta

@TPP

1. Labour has already laid out our position in detail on what needs to be done on the budget. Perhaps you haven't been watching.

2. Pat Kenny's indulgent interview with Michael Somers, one of the banking merchants that got us into this hole, stands in direct contrast with his aggressive treatment of Jan O'Sullivan. I guess Somers is more Kenny's kind of guy!

adrem

not listening so just going on the comments (which is not usually advisable on P.ie !!)

the programme for govt is the 4 year plan. Like it or not that is the fact of the matter. The officials have been discussing the 4 year plan with IMF and EU officials for the past few weeks - no matter who is in power thats what we are getting.

Biggest impact will be on Lab who will have to radically change tack on their mooted policies - FG are closer to the 4 year plan anyway so won't have as big a problem implementing it.

Watcher2

He doesn't have anywhere else to squat, so he does it in Montrose.

Tea Party Patriot

@TPP

1. Labour has already laid out our position in detail on what needs to be done on the budget. Perhaps you haven't been watching.

2. Pat Kenny's indulgent interview with Michael Somers, one of the banking merchants that got us into this hole, stands in direct contrast with his aggressive treatment of Jan O'Sullivan. I guess Somers is more Kenny's kind of guy!
Somers isn't running for government, Jan O'Sullivan is.

setanta

not listening so just going on the comments (which is not usually advisable on P.ie !!)

the programme for govt is the 4 year plan. Like it or not that is the fact of the matter. The officials have been discussing the 4 year plan with IMF and EU officials for the past few weeks - no matter who is in power thats what we are getting.

Biggest impact will be on Lab who will have to radically change tack on their mooted policies - FG are closer to the 4 year plan anyway so won't have as big a problem implementing it.
Labour supports the 4-year target reduction in debt and deficits. It's not the target that we disagree with but the FF/FG view that, in the face of all the available evidence, that you can secure economic stability by slashing and burning and only then giving attention to investment and job growth.

Mitsui2

Until Labour actually show some figures to the Irish electorate they are going to get a lot more treatment like from journalists.

Right now they are like a form of Fianna Fáil, lots of waffle, spin and no concrete figures or substantance.
Yes, but a form of FF that hasn't effed the country up for generations.

Hmmm... now which form of FF would I prefer, I wonder?

Fail Better

Its the first I heard a politician state we go for an election before Christmas form a Govt. bring in a budget and then discus a program for Govt. Get real.:mad: its the first time I agreed with the Plank and that wasn't easy.:eek:
Now that's worth talking about. But pretending that it's somehow unprecedented or untenable for two different parties offering two different manifesto's to come together after an election and form a programme for government in the first place - that simply flies in the face of the political history of the last quarter of a century. It's just sophistry.

My point is not that Labour's tactics should be exempt for serious questioning, but rather the opposite - that pretending that two parties running with separate manifestos is an issue (when this is what has happened for EVERY government that has been formed since 1987) actually diverts from the real problems, is easily deflected by Labour people, and is really just posturing. The problems lie elsewhere: will there be time to bring in a well-prepared budget? How will the delay effect the negotiations with the E.U./I.M.F.? How will the delay affect the functioning of the banks within the economy?

setanta

He was a civil servant.
Indeed. Sloppy wording on my part. Thanks for pointing it out. He was, however, deeply enmeshed in the circle of people who had responsibility for economic governance in this State during the period when the criminal recklessness of the banking and development cartels was allowed to run riot.

maxthedog

Now that's worth talking about. But pretending that it's somehow unprecedented or untenable for two different parties offering two different manifesto's to come together after an election and form a programme for government in the first place - that simply flies in the face of the political history of the last quarter of a century. It's just sophistry.

My point is not that Labour's tactics should be exempt for serious questioning, but rather the opposite - that pretending that two parties running with separate manifestos is an issue (when this is what has happened for EVERY government that has been formed since 1987) actually diverts from the real problems, is easily deflected by Labour people, and is really just posturing. The problems lie elsewhere: will there be time to bring in a well-prepared budget? How will the delay effect the negotiations with the E.U./I.M.F.? How will the delay affect the functioning of the banks within the economy?
jan was too polite, should have called it for what it was.

FFRTE starting the propaganda war.

New Threads

Most Replies