Plans for second runway at Dublin Airport scrapped

firefly123

Schiphol works as a single national hub because it's accessible. Dublin Airport isn't. It's a complete pain in the backside as far as public transport is concerned.

Shannon is doing well because there is demand for the flights. So much demand that the summer Boston route needed a bigger plane than the Boeing 757 that was being used earlier in the year.

Simple, really.
Dublin airport should be accessible by train. An actual proper underground service directly to the city centre and the transport hubs. Not a Luas or a silly bus corridor. It's gonna cost and some eegits will complain but it will be worth it. A second runway should have been built with terminal two but as usual short sightedness means we are playing catchup.

Casablanca

Dublin airport should be accessible by train. An actual proper underground service directly to the city centre and the transport hubs. It's gonna cost and some eegits will complain but it will be worth it. A second runway should have been built with terminal two but as usual short sightedness means we are playing catchup.
Exactly. I've used most major European airports (less frequently lately, thankfully) and Dublin is one of the very few that doesn't have a rail connection to the city centre/main rail terminus. It's a basic requirement of any integrated transport system.

firefly123

That runway should be A380 compatible too. Anything less would be criminal.

statsman

Dublin airport should be accessible by train. An actual proper underground service directly to the city centre and the transport hubs. Not a Luas or a silly bus corridor. It's gonna cost and some eegits will complain but it will be worth it. A second runway should have been built with terminal two but as usual short sightedness means we are playing catchup.
Exactly. I've used most major European airports (less frequently lately, thankfully) and Dublin is one of the very few that doesn't have a rail connection to the city centre/main rail terminus. It's a basic requirement of any integrated transport system.
You can get to Schiphol from anywhere in the Netherlands in under two and a half hours, with no more than one change, and the station is in the very heart of the airport, no more than 3 minutes walk from Departures. It's one of the very best setups I've come across anywhere, and the Dutch trains are reliable, clean and comfortable.

By train (Domestic)

Clanrickard

The quote was

"A recent economic impact study commissioned by Shannon Airport Authority (a key Shannon Chamber member) points to an eleven-fold benefit in GDP terms accruing to a business passenger transiting to or from Shannon as opposed to transiting to or from Dublin."

Do you think that there are many "business passengers" going to Limerick? for what? Galway is a tourist town with little/no office market. Do you think that niche 'business trips' to these regions are 11 times more beneficial in GDP terms than similar trips to Dublin?

I'm sure there are plenty of pensioners from Iowa who will want to see the cliffs of "mow hair" but that's not what was quoted.
Seriously? Do you anything about the mid west? There are many international firms around Shannon, Limerick and Galway.

Clanrickard

So you're saying we could have a hub airport like schipol if we spent money integrating Dublin airport into the rail network. That is exactly my position also. But instead we've historically opted for spreading investment over a large number of airports, quite a silly policy really.
Holland is the size of Munster with a very high population density. You can not replicate that in Ireland. So now you are left with a 3 hour olus trip to Dublin to catch a plane. This may suit the "I am alright jack" DAA and the denizens of the metropolitan area but not the rest of the country. If vast amounts of taxpayers dosh was going into Shannon I would say shut it but there. Whatsome oeople cant handle is that Shannon is doing well despite years of guff saying it would not stand on its own feet.

Clanrickard

Cellachán Chaisil

HR9 + HR1 (maybe HR8 too).

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Appraisal_Report_19112014_final.pdf

Roll_On

Holland is the size of Munster with a very high population density. You can not replicate that in Ireland. So now you are left with a 3 hour olus trip to Dublin to catch a plane. This may suit the "I am alright jack" DAA and the denizens of the metropolitan area but not the rest of the country. If vast amounts of taxpayers dosh was going into Shannon I would say shut it but there. Whatsome oeople cant handle is that Shannon is doing well despite years of guff saying it would not stand on its own feet.
If we spent a modest few quid on our existing rail network and a decent runway for Dublin you could get a train from Limerick, be in T2 in 2 hours and get on a direct flight to China. But we invested in provincial airports at Waterford, Kerry, Knock, Galway, Sligo, even subsidized internal flights (bizzar policy in such a small country) because everyone wants an airport.

Schuhart

The stopover is gone and will not be coming back.
I agree. Despite the very recent yearnings of the hopelessly biased Shannon Chamber.
You can get to Schiphol from anywhere in the Netherlands in under two and a half hours.
I'd suspect that reflects Dutch conditions. They've half our land area, and three times the population.

Dublin wouldn't be handling 75% of national passenger air traffic, and 84% of air cargo, if it was hugely inaccessible. Rail would be nice. But our population density (and the fact that, unlike the Netherlands, we're an island) means it's not going to have that big a role in national transport.
Shannon is doing well because there is demand for the flights.
Can we try an alternative take for a moment?

In 2014, Shannon (under independent control) saw about 45% of the passenger traffic level it had at its 2007 peak (under DAA management).

In 2014, Cork (under DAA management) saw about 66% of the level it had at its 2008 peak.

In 2014, Dublin saw over 90% of the level it had at its 2008 peak

cozzy121

The present airport runway is A380 compatible.

The aprons are not.
Apologies but when you say "Apron" does that include the terminal facilities - e.g. the double Decker sky-ways for both levels of an A380?

Top Bottom