Pobal / Acht Ghaeilge Northern Ireland

DJP

I did an interview with the head of 'Pobal' the umbrella organisation for promoting Irish in Northern Ireland Janet Muller on the Irish programme on Nearfm today "Ar Muin na Muice". It is very long- 29 minutes. I raised a couple of different interesting things though- the idea that the aim that people should be allowed speak Irish in the courts should be put off until the medium/long-term to make an Irish Language Act in NI more acceptable to Unionists in the short-term; the merits of a rights-based Language Act; and the question of Nationalist-controlled councils bringing in the policy as in Galway City and Shannon that all new residential developments be named in Irish.

Near 90 fm Podcast

jdaly

I did an interview with the head of 'Pobal' the umbrella organisation for promoting Irish in Northern Ireland Janet Muller on the Irish programme on Nearfm today "Ar Muin na Muice". It is very long- 29 minutes. I raised a couple of different interesting things though- the idea that the aim that people should be allowed speak Irish in the courts should be put off until the medium/long-term to make an Irish Language Act in NI more acceptable to Unionists in the short-term; the merits of a rights-based Language Act; and the question of Nationalist-controlled councils bringing in the policy as in Galway City and Shannon that all new residential developments be named in Irish.

Near 90 fm Podcast
I'd be with you on those ideas. Newry and Mourne for a long time now have been promoting the idea of Irish names on developements although the occassional 'Pine grove' still slips through. I think you are right on the Gaelic in courts too, forcing such issues through will not gain respect or even new suport. There are other things happening which I find strange, for instance, the Camloch triathalon which is advertised as The Crooked Lake Triathalon, right beside signposts with stickers saying 'gaelige' on them, a bit odd and it organised by people who would claim to be republican. If we are translating existing irish names into english it sure weakens our case. Very hard to find company in Sth Armagh pubs speaking Gaelige and particularly speaking at a pace suitable for the not quite fluent. Go n'eirí and t'adh leat.

DJP

I'd be with you on those ideas. Newry and Mourne for a long time now have been promoting the idea of Irish names on developements although the occassional 'Pine grove' still slips through.
How many do you know of? I know of one personally.

DJP

Cois Locha, An tIúr/Newry

Irish names. I have just heard today that it is still illegal to name them in Irish in NI. I knew it was but I thought that that law might have been quietly changed in the last few years. This is the only one that I know of in NI. Someone told me that there is a couple more in the same area but I have never heard this confirmed and I haven't been there is a long, long time.

jdaly

Irish names. I have just heard today that it is still illegal to name them in Irish in NI. I knew it was but I thought that that law might have been quietly changed in the last few years. This is the only one that I know of in NI. Someone told me that there is a couple more in the same area but I have never heard this confirmed and I haven't been there is a long, long time.
Carraig Dú in Belleeks (Sth Armagh), Úircill ( from Uircill an Chreagain) Lismor just to name a few in Sth Armagh. If that law still exists I doubt if it has been implemented in many's a year or has it? Existing names like Camloch, Lisera, Aughandubh and so one would cause problems if such a law was being implemented.

Templarknight

How Sinn Fein have used it to exaggerate their republicanism is damaging to the language

Tiernanator

Surely this would be against EU minority language legislation Darren? If not I wonder why not.

Tiernanator

How Sinn Fein have used it to exaggerate their republicanism is damaging to the language
Well if everyone else would get off their respective political posteriors and do something about the language then Sinn Féin would not be able to exaggerate their republicanism. The H Blocks were the reason why so many republicans speak the language. I actually think it was a British plot to make all us Ullans folk speak freestate talk.

Templarknight

Well if everyone else would get off their respective political posteriors and do something about the language then Sinn Féin would not be able to exaggerate their republicanism. The H Blocks were the reason why so many republicans speak the language. I actually think it was a British plot to make all us Ullans folk speak freestate talk.
Unionist's having nothing to fear from Irish talk.

Young Ned

I suppose if you're upset that speaking a language is associated with anti-state activity it would make sense to lay the blame with those who actively suppressed the language and made it a political offense to use. You can suppress a language, but don't act surprised when nationalist movements try to revitalize it (however ineptly)

Ryan_Mac

Unionist's having nothing to fear from Irish talk.
As far as i know, the DUP (at least) oppose the Irish language act? if they have nothing to fear, why would they oppose such a thing?

DJP

By the way the Irish Government by the revised Programme For Government are now in favour of an Irish Language Act for Northern Ireland. This is huge. Now the Irish Government, the SDLP, Alliance and SF are in favour of one. So in terms of political representation everyone in the entire island bar the 850,000 Unionists are in favour of one.

dazzler

Wait till policing and justice is fully gone through. The Irish Language Act will be the next aim of nationalists

Young Ned

Wait till policing and justice is fully gone through. The Irish Language Act will be the next aim of nationalists
I don't understand why it's even controversial. I mean, I do understand why the Unionists are resistant, but it's an official language of the EU. Doesn't that by itself grant it status?

DJP

There was not an Irish language version of the census in NI made available recently! I and my Mam filled out ours for the first time in Irish this time in the South!

By the way I interviewed Dominic Bradley MLA for the SDLP last Thursday and an Irish Language Act for NI was one of the things we talked about.

Ren84

Darren, are you and Darren Mac an Phríora the same person? Isn't that against site rules or am I missing something?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies