• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Podcast - The Irish Revolutionary period as a backdrop for historical fiction.

cb1979

I hope this won't be bad for my blood pressure :D
I think your blood pressure should be ok :D

He's an interesting guest. He's written a novel about an RIC detective investigating a murder during the Anglo - Irish War and has planned more books with the same characters. Kevin McCarthy Author Blog--A Criminal History?: Peeler Review: The Irish Story (www.theirishstory.com/)

While there have been various novels written with this period as a backdrop, I don't know if any fiction has been written with a Unionist as the main protagonist. Might be an interesting avenue for a writer.

Little_Korean

While there have been various novels written with this period as a backdrop, I don't know if any fiction has been written with a Unionist as the main protagonist. Might be an interesting avenue for a writer.
Definitely would be different. Most historical fiction set in the WoI is from the Volunteer/IRA point of view, for obvious reasons.

P Ryan

I haven't read a whole lot of historical fiction based during this period so far (my main periods of reading historical fiction tend to be based in medieval/crusader period or ancient rome/greece), but 2 books I read in the late 90's come to mind, Fire on the Hill (based around the Wicklow rebel Michael Dwyer), and Tread Softly on my Dreams (based around the life of Robert Emmet) both by Gretta Curran Browne.

There may be a touch of the green-tinted lenses on the part of the author, so I wouldn't recommend that loyalist troll Cruimh to bother picking either up....

HJ McCracken

Has anyone read William Trevor's "Fool Of Fortune."

shutuplaura

Troubles by JG Farrell. I think it won t he Booker prize Only novel I've read about the period and one of my favourites.

P Ryan

I wouldn't recommend anybody interested in the period in question - early twentieth century - picking up these books as Dwyer and Emmet were long dead .......:oops:petunia:oops:
Irish Revolutionary period usually refers to the 1790's

cb1979

Irish Revolutionary period usually refers to the 1790's
In recent years the the Irish Revolution and the Revolutionary period is also used to describe the period from 1912 to 1923. But any recommendations from any era are very welcome. The 1912 - 1923 period would be the one discussed in the podcast.