Podcasts - Suggestions and recommendations

borntorum

A good way of shortening the boring daily commute is listening to an interesting podcast. Due to the poor quality of much of the talk radio in Ireland, I've found myself recently downloading more podcasts.

Of course, the BBC is always a great source, and Radio 4 and the World Service in particular have a number of excellent discussion and analysis programs available. Below I've included links to some shows I've lately been impressed by.

What else would p.ie users recommend?

BBC - Podcasts - A History of the World in 100 Objects

BBC - Podcasts - Americana: inside the USA

BBC - Podcasts - Analysis

BBC - Podcasts - Forum - A World of Ideas

Sync

Everything the Guardian puts out is topclass, especially the politics and football ones. Sunday Supplement is available to DL from TodayFm as well.

Finbar10

Yeah, the bbc is a great source of interesting podcasts.
The radio 4 show "In Our Time" with Melvyn Bragg
covers a varied range of scientific and historical topics.
Newstalk puts many of its shows up as podcasts as
well. "Talking History" is a favourite of mine. Rarely get
to listen to this live, but good to listen to afterwards
as a podcast.

Sync

Talking History is a really great show. Probably my favourite Irish one.

G

Gimpanzee

Yeah, the bbc is a great source of interesting podcasts.
The radio 4 show "In Our Time" with Melvyn Bragg
covers a varied range of scientific and historical topics.
Newstalk puts many of its shows up as podcasts as
well. "Talking History" is a favourite of mine. Rarely get
to listen to this live, but good to listen to afterwards
as a podcast.
In Our Time is fantastic.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
i've become addicated to ThisWeekIn i stumbled across Welcome to Kevin Pollak's Chat Show long form interviews with actors and comedians and now watching the annoying but been there, jason calcanis and his This Week in Start Ups, interesting archive of interviews with internet Co. CEOs

Last edited:

Johnnybaii

Podcasts?

I know they can be brilliant but in my experience so far they can also be very hit and miss, what ones do you listen to? What ones do you recommend listening to?

I’m specifically talking about ones current affairs, finance and politics related that are accessible to the layman but if you have any good sports or entertainment ones please feel free to include them.

Thanks
Johnny

G

Gimpanzee

I know they can be brilliant but in my experience so far they can also be very hit and miss, what ones do you listen to? What ones do you recommend listening to?

I’m specifically talking about ones current affairs, finance and politics related that are accessible to the layman but if you have any good sports or entertainment ones please feel free to include them.

Thanks
Johnny
FT.com have a few different ones that are worth listening to
Nature.com does a good 30 minute weekly one if you are interested in science.
Then there's BBC Radio 4 - In Our Time is the pick of the bunch but there is a lot of good shows depending on what you're into.

All the above are consistently good to brilliant IMO.

DaveM

The History of Rome (also available on iTunes)

Brilliant Roman history podcast by an American amateur historian called Mike Duncan. In over weekly 130 episodes to date he has traced the history of Rome from Romulus up as far as Diocletian and will continue as far as the fall of the western empire in 476AD. A great listen whether you're into Roman history or a complete novice.

onthefence

I like the New Yorker. I liked last weeks report about Scientology.

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
As you can see from my signature my blog is now a current affairs podcasting blog as Gaeilge. I actually deleted the other posts. I am not a celebrity or politician so few read my opinions on politics on it so I decided to keep it to strictly podcasting.

AN RÉALT- PODCHRAOLTAÍ Ó NEAR90FM

New Threads

Most Replies