Poison pigs - what is the story?

Sidewinder

Human sh1te in the drinking water, industrial toxic waste in the food, a bankrupt State, rampant corruption, crumbling schools, lethal hospitals, antiquated telecoms, soaring unemployment, collapsing industry, the most indebted populace in the world, the return of emigration...

And still a third of ye will go out and vote for FF.

Bobert

jfk2008

The:

Dept of Ag

Dept of Health

HSE

EPA

Food Safety Authority.

for starters...
Yerrah, I'm talking about the PCB-free stuff.

I passed a farm today that advertised pork for sale to order: think I'll try to find it again and see if they're still selling.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be feeding their pigs contaminted feed.

The Lighthouse Keeper

Contaminated feed was used at a total of 47 farms.
If this is over using some cheap dodgy imported feed, I want these criminal farmers named and shamed and put out of business. This is completely unacceptable. Have to throw out the sausages and rashers in my fridge in what is an apaling waste.:mad:

This is a death knell to an industry at probably its busiest time of year, with the market for Christmas hams.

A tracking system like what pertains in the beef industry may need to be introduced.

Human sh1te in the drinking water, industrial toxic waste in the food, a bankrupt State, rampant corruption, crumbling schools, lethal hospitals, antiquated telecoms, soaring unemployment, collapsing industry, the most indebted populace in the world, the return of emigration...

and PCB effects in humans...Immune System Damage ,Thyroid Function, PCBs and Brain Damage,Parkinson's Disease, Dopamine and PCBs ,Depression and Other Emotional Disorders ,Peripheral Neuropathy ,Spinal Degeneration and Arthritis ,Heart Disease ,Diabetes, PCBs & Dioxin ,Skin Absorption and Damage,Liver Damage, Endometriosis,Reproductive and Sexual Impacts ,Hearing Damage ,Sense of Smell.

Over 200 times the safe level.Those responsible should be put away for a long time.

Question R24U

42% of those who matter - obviously you are not amongst that number.

Mind you, you have a coherent point - this is even more bad news for Breakfast Roll Man.

Sidewinder

42% of those who matter - obviously you are not amongst that number.

Mind you, you have a coherent point - this is even more bad news for Breakfast Roll Man.
Tell me, did they give you the lobotomy, personality removal, and enhanced heartless gombeen abilities before you joined FF, or after?

People like you should be chained to poles to be whipped by random passers by, and forcefed contaminated water and toxic foodstuffs for the rest of your miserable dysfunctional despicable scumbag lives. Youse really really are utter filth.

SPN

If it was only one small feed supplier, and he only delivered to 9 farms, then why are all pigmeat products being withdrawn?

I would have thought that only one or two processors, and therefore only one or two retail brands, would have been affected.

If the taxpayer is going to pick up the tab for compensating all processors for the withdrawal of their products in order to "maintain consumer confidence" in one or two brands then I am going to be very cross!

We have enough problems in the Country at the moment without being required to pick up the tab for yet another failure of Commercial Businesses to do their job properly.

Name and Shame the f*ckers!

(and I'm told the source of the contamination may have been waste bread imported from the UK)

History Student

The Cute Hoor who brought this "feed" into the country needs to have the book thrown at them, this will hammer many Irish farmers for good and no ham for christmas, can things get much worse. I see beef farms involved too, why not recall beef?

Question R24U

Tell me, did they give you the lobotomy, personality removal, and enhanced heartless gombeen abilities before you joined FF, or after?

People like you should be chained to poles to be whipped by random passers by, and forcefed contaminated water and toxic foodstuffs for the rest of your miserable dysfunctional despicable scumbag lives. Youse really really are utter filth.
Happy Christmas to you too. Btw why random people? But i would apply your suggestion to any farmer or supplier who has sabotaged the health of citizens and the agric.economy.

Bobert

If we ban beef, I'm going to go out and shoot a deer for meat.

He3

Here is another one I missed from the list earlier - the CMO

From RTÉ -

''Chief Medical Officer says move is precautionary

The state's Chief Medical Officer said there was no need for the public to worry and that the government had taken a precautionary approach to minimise the risk to public health.

Dr Tony Holohan said the public should simply destroy what pork products they have in their fridge and freezer.

He said the dioxin is only dangerous if a person is exposed to it over a long period of time. In such circumstances, he said, it can have a range of effects on organs such as the liver and nervous system.

But he stressed that the period in question here is much shorter, and such effects should not arise as the exposure has been identified at an early stage.

Dr Holohan said because there is no risk from the low exposure, people do not need to seek medical help''.

RTÉ website says the contamination came to light last Monday.

The only government spokesman they quote is Trevor Sargent, who says the government acted swiftly.

RTÉ News: Recall notice for Irish pork products

Last edited:

He3

This is from the Irish Times, suggesting that beef farmers are also involved:

Agriculture Minister Brendan Smith said an "intensive investigation" had been underway this week.

He said 47 farms, including 38 beef farms, had been restricted because they were identified as having received possibly contaminated animal feed. There was only one feed supplier involved, he said.

"Full prohibition of animal movement from these herds is in place. We've outlined the actions that we're taking on recall of pork and bacon following the receipt of the laboratory results ealier this evening.

"The issue of beef involvement is very different. Our assessment on the basis of advice from the Food Safety Authority of Ireland is that no further action at this stage other than what we have done in prohibiting movement off the farms is required.

"Testing is however taking place on a precautionary basis in line with our overall approach to this problem."

Rich OC

Website
www.twitter.com
You're flippant comment exposes (yet again) your ignorance of the basic remifications of this. The pork industry is worth 400million to the Irish economy and the government have recalled all the pork products. This is something we could do without.

RTÉ News: Recall notice for Irish pork products
You don't know that they don't deserve just that - the farming industry bangs on about traceability all the way through the food production process, what the hell were they doing on this one?

Nobody has a divine entitlement to a living, in the food industry if safety of the consumer is threatened then the punishment needs to be punitive. This applies whether the sin was one of omission or commission.

If the standards in the industry were not up to scratch then the feed producer, the farmer, the factory and the supplier should all pay a very heavy price for this.

An industry of any size is worth a hell of a lot less than a populations health, and to be quite honest about it the most important and basic "ramification" is not the effect on the Pig Industry, it is the effect on human health. Get your priorities straight.

He3

The Minister for Agriculture says only one feed supplier is involved.

Which one?

May as well tell us now rather than have it dragged out.

Bobert

He3

You'll use a water pistol then?

Fr. Hank Tree

You don't know that they don't deserve just that - the farming industry bangs on about traceability all the way through the food production process, what the hell were they doing on this one?

Nobody has a divine entitlement to a living, in the food industry if safety of the consumer is threatened then the punishment needs to be punitive. This applies whether the sin was one of omission or commission.

If the standards in the industry were not up to scratch then the feed producer, the farmer, the factory and the supplier should all pay a very heavy price for this.

An industry of any size is worth a hell of a lot less than a populations health, and to be quite honest about it the most important and basic "ramification" is not the effect on the Pig Industry, it is the effect on human health. Get your priorities straight.
Relax for a second. It has been emphasised that this is precautionary:
Dr Tony Holohan ...said the dioxin is only dangerous if a person is exposed to it over a long period of time...But he stressed that the period in question here is much shorter, and such effects should not arise as the exposure has been identified at an early stage.
Of course there is a threat to human health, but that is a low risk. I know that wouldn't be much consolation to someone who suffers from this (and please God i won't be such a person) but we are not talking about a major health epidemic here. The more pressing ramifications of this are the impact it will have on the pig industry, the agriculture industry and the wider economy in general. So my priorities are perfectly straight.

Secondly, good decent law-abiding people in the industry do indeed have an entitlement to their livelihood and this isn't extingished by the conduct of a rogue crook minority, whether or not the regulatory regime is adequate or not. Anyways it's up to the lawmakers to make the law, and the administrators to make the regulations.

Finally, in case there is a misunderstanding on your part, i support what the government are doing here. It needs to be done there;'s no 2 ways about it. I'm simply acknowledging the tragedy for many good people in the industry who have to pay for the actions of a few, and lamenting for the wider economy in general. That doesn't mean i don't care about public health.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies