Poland and the EU

JacquesHughes

Being the largest national minority in the auld sod, maybe there should be a bit more interest in events in Poland itself? Here the EU Commission has been threatening to withdraw Poland's voting rights. As an assertion of EU dominance over Poland's sovereignty within it's own territory, with threatened draconian consequences, it's all going a bit ski-whiff
Poland Plots Democracy Row Endgame as EU Obsessed by Brexit - Bloomberg
Poland is not playing it's prescribed role as touchingly grateful, Johnny-come-lately, good-soldier, Sir, who's 'lucky to be here at all'. Instead the Polish foreign ministry suavely explains that the EU Commission has 'incomplete knowledge of the Polish legal system...and we had no choice but to assess the Commission's recommendation as groundless'.
So there; over to you, Brussels.
Poland, some might remember, negotiated opt-outs from the Lisbon treaty (when Ireland thought protection of sovereignty wasn't neccessary), and has been moderately euro-sceptic ever since.

O

Oscurito

Just because Brussels says something is bad doesn't mean that it's good.

The Law & Justice Party has been behaving unconstitutionally for some time.

So, if you want to talk about respect for Polish democratic institutions, let's start with the governing party in Warsaw.

O

Oscurito

Did I kill the thread?

Where are all the Skepto-Euronics?

C'mon folks....work it.

The Field Marshal

Just because Brussels says something is bad doesn't mean that it's good.
Normally it does.

The Law & Justice Party has been behaving unconstitutionally for some time.

So, if you want to talk about respect for Polish democratic institutions, let's start with the governing party in Warsaw.
Interpretation of the Polish constitution is a matter for Poland not for the despotic tyrants and scum federalists in Brussels.

Mad as Fish

Did I kill the thread?

Where are all the Skepto-Euronics?

C'mon folks....work it.
Maybe we have better things to do than argue with a headbanger desperate to prove some sort of point.

The Field Marshal

The Field Marshal

Yes. You are that powerful.
Buying into the despotic tyranny and scum federalism of the Brussels elite is usually a help in that regard.

Mad as Fish

That's a bit harsh.

I think that JacquesHughe's OP came across as fairly reasonable.
I wasn't referring to JH as the headbanger.

Anyway, I for one have lost enough time on here arguing the toss over Breixit recently and I've no doubt there are others of a similar mind as worthy as the OP may be.

RasherHash

Being the largest national minority in the auld sod, maybe there should be a bit more interest in events in Poland itself? Here the EU Commission has been threatening to withdraw Poland's voting rights. As an assertion of EU dominance over Poland's sovereignty within it's own territory, with threatened draconian consequences, it's all going a bit ski-whiff
Poland Plots Democracy Row Endgame as EU Obsessed by Brexit - Bloomberg
Poland is not playing it's prescribed role as touchingly grateful, Johnny-come-lately, good-soldier, Sir, who's 'lucky to be here at all'. Instead the Polish foreign ministry suavely explains that the EU Commission has 'incomplete knowledge of the Polish legal system...and we had no choice but to assess the Commission's recommendation as groundless'.
So there; over to you, Brussels.
Poland, some might remember, negotiated opt-outs from the Lisbon treaty (when Ireland thought protection of sovereignty wasn't neccessary), and has been moderately euro-sceptic ever since.
The Brits are the largest national minority by far.

Clanrickard

The Brits are the largest national minority by far.

I can assure you these figures are wrong. There are way more Chinese here than 11 odd thousand. Off the record the embassy reckons there are 4 times that. The Irish Times recently put the number of Poles at 150 odd thousand.

The Field Marshal

You clearly haven't been following the story
But I have.
I read the link.

To repeat.

Interpretation of the Polish constitution is a matter for Poland not for the despotic tyrants and scum federalists in Brussels.

They have interpreted it and my question remains.

RasherHash

I can assure you these figures are wrong. There are way more Chinese here than 11 odd thousand. Off the record the embassy reckons there are 4 times that. The Irish Times recently put the number of Poles at 150 odd thousand.
According to the piece, it is probably because Poles here are bringing their families over, I think that's a good thing, the Poles are largely good for this country and we should be glad they came.

Mad as Fish

Ah wow, didn't see that :eek:
It surprised me when I read it but it is based on the 2011 census, five years ago, whether it has changed much I wouldn't like to say but if it has I'd think that there are fewer Polish around, it seems that way around here at least but that is only a gut feeling.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies