Polar Bears - Not Really That Cuddly. Should We Care?

redhead

According to a recent study Polar Bears are the latest species to be threatened with extinction as a result of global warming.

On the one hand, most people agree that global warming a) is real, and b) makes young Swedish girls very sad.

On the other, lots of species have died out over the centuries. Using Darwinian theory, Polar Bears could be the latest in a long line that have simply had their day.

Also, they are carnivorous predators, some might say vicious killers, others just see them as misunderstood and hungry.

So, Polar Bears - are they worth saving? Or in the spectre of food shortages following a worldwide pandemic, would they make good burgers?

wombat

wombat

Shame to see such a serious topic treated with such flippancy
Its unlikely that the sea ice will vanish overnight so there is a possibility that polar bears will start to roam on dry land in search of food. Its possible that animals such as reindeer/caribou will start to wander further north and become a food source for the polar bears. There was a belief that there were isolated subspecies of grizzly bears because of an observed size difference but it seems that the size difference is due to the availability of food rather than a difference in genes.

redhead

You are a smug obnoxious d!ckhead.

You ask a facile question and think that you are "smart".
No, I asked a serious question couched in humour, there's a difference. Do you have an opinion on it?

redhead

Shame to see such a serious topic treated with such flippancy
Do you have an opinion on the serious topic?

i. e. In the context of the pandemic, are concerns about the extinction of certain species as serious a priority?

redhead

Its unlikely that the sea ice will vanish overnight so there is a possibility that polar bears will start to roam on dry land in search of food. Its possible that animals such as reindeer/caribou will start to wander further north and become a food source for the polar bears. There was a belief that there were isolated subspecies of grizzly bears because of an observed size difference but it seems that the size difference is due to the availability of food rather than a difference in genes.
Thank-you for seeing through the humour as an attempt to start a debate instead of going for the knee-jerk professionally outraged response.

Time was you could make jokes about these things here, and ironically (to me at least) there's enough flippancy about human lives.

Personally, I don't believe in any kind of unnecessary cruelty to animals, or people, but I have always found those who think human and animal lives are equal to have their priorities awry.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Do you have an opinion on the serious topic?

i. e. In the context of the pandemic, are concerns about the extinction of certain species as serious a priority?
I hope you don't consider my response to be one from somebody professionally outraged. This is a serious and sad story. Shameful in many ways. I recognised some levity in your OP (the burger comment) but felt it needed to be redirected to a serious discussion...hence my use of 'flippancy'...flipping burgers...

Anyway, the pandemic and global warming are connected. Each is the consequence of human indifference and arrogance. Our response to global warming is dictated by economic short term wants, as is the response to the pandemic. Ah, animals die. Ah, old people die. Survival of the fittest. Ignore science.

redhead

I hope you don't consider my response to be one from somebody professionally outraged. This is a serious and sad story. Shameful in many ways. I recognised some levity in your OP (the burger comment) but felt it needed to be redirected to a serious discussion...hence my use of 'flippancy'...flipping burgers...

Anyway, the pandemic and global warming are connected. Each is the consequence of human indifference and arrogance. Our response to global warming is dictated by economic short term wants, as is the response to the pandemic. Ah, animals die. Ah, old people die. Survival of the fittest. Ignore science.
Yes, but I seriously wonder about the impact of the extinction of Polar Bears, or any number of other animals. Is it really that important? Except to animal lovers and environmentalists. Yes, they are magnificent looking creatures, but they will also tear a human being from limb to limb.

If it's me versus the last Polar Bear in existence and I have a gun, I'm not going to worry about the extinction of the species.

I understand the concerns about global warming, and if the disappearance of the Polar bear is a metonym for the disappearance of the ice caps, I get that. But sometimes it seems like people are more concerned about the treatment of animals than human beings.

Dearghoul

I am a mammal, and because I am a mammal the loss of any mammal is my own loss.

Seriously, because mammals, in particular, will not be able to adapt quickly enough we will lose a great number of species, and that either concerns you given the diversity and all round awesomeness of the planet that we're the inadequate caretakers of, or it doesn't.

However, maybe look at the loss of the polar bear and Covid as a gentle reminder that there are far too many of us for the globe to sustain.

I'd guess that harsher warnings will follow.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Yes, but I seriously wonder about the impact of the extinction of Polar Bears, or any number of other animals. Is it really that important? Except to animal lovers and environmentalists. Yes, they are magnificent looking creatures, but they will also tear a human being from limb to limb.

If it's me versus the last Polar Bear in existence and I have a gun, I'm not going to worry about the extinction of the species.

I understand the concerns about global warming, and if the disappearance of the Polar bear is a metonym for the disappearance of the ice caps, I get that. But sometimes it seems like people are more concerned about the treatment of animals than human beings.
It's not an either/or. However, find someone without compassion for animals and they are likely lacking in compassion for humans.

Polar bears are in huge difficulty due to melting ice. They are merely the canary in the human mine

redhead

I am a mammal, and because I am a mammal the loss of any mammal is my own loss.

Seriously, because mammals, in particular, will not be able to adapt quickly enough we will lose a great number of species, and that either concerns you given the diversity and all round awesomeness of the planet that we're the inadequate caretakers of, or it doesn't.

However, maybe look at the loss of the polar bear and Covid as a gentle reminder that there are far too many of us for the globe to sustain.

I'd guess that harsher warnings will follow.
That is a much more serious problem and will sooner than later become apparent.

raetsel

The closest I ever got to a polar bear was a stuffed one in Anchorage Airport on a flight stopover, and it was enormous. I wouldn't like to encounter a live one. :)

Ireniall

Anyway if the polar bears cant survive the sun I don't know what's going to happen to redheads.

RasherHash

According to a recent study Polar Bears are the latest species to be threatened with extinction as a result of global warming.

On the one hand, most people agree that global warming a) is real, and b) makes young Swedish girls very sad.

On the other, lots of species have died out over the centuries. Using Darwinian theory, Polar Bears could be the latest in a long line that have simply had their day.

Also, they are carnivorous predators, some might say vicious killers, others just see them as misunderstood and hungry.

So, Polar Bears - are they worth saving? Or in the spectre of food shortages following a worldwide pandemic, would they make good burgers?
This nonsense was debunked 6 months ago and has been resurrected by the joyless Green conpersons.

Give it a rest.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom