#Polexit next .. or as others have said ( in article comments ) #krakout .. ???

robut

Brexit to the West and Polexit to the East? - Nasdaq.com

However, the EU's effort to force conformity is focused on Poland this week. The EU objects to laws passed by Poland's legislature that will force about 40% of its judges to retire. This is seen as violating the independence of the judiciary by putting it under political control. The EU is expected to deliver an unprecedented warning to Poland on December 20. With Germany and France supporting the warning, the necessary 4/5 majority vote is likely.

Under Article 7.1 of the Maastricht Treaty, Poland will be given a few weeks to react to avoid further sanctions. This sets up a more dramatic confrontation early next year. It could ultimately face a suspension of its voting rights. However, this requires a unanimous vote and Hungary has indicated that it would veto such a sanction.

.... The tragedy is that the EU had been a hallmark of democracy, liberalism, and modernity and was seen as such by eastern and central European countries both during the Soviet era and afterward. Those values have become suspect in a wide swath of eastern and central Europe. The Visgrad Group (Poland, Hungary, Czech, and Slovakia) pose a different kind of challenge to the EU than Brexit, but it is just as serious. Ironically, the UK would find the Visgrad Group an important ally on numerous issues if it were to have remained in the EU.

Polish government furious over censure that could see its EU voting rights taken away

POLAND DISMISSED AS “political” the EU’s decision today to launch unprecedented disciplinary proceedings over its judicial reforms, which Brussels says threaten the rule of law.

The disciplinary procedure could ultimately lead to Poland losing its voting rights in the EU.
SO ... are we building slowly to a #POLEXIT along with other eastern European countries?

Should we just go back to the EEC? Simply a trading bloc? OR some sort of 2 tier europe maybe?

Wascurito

I hope the Poles don't leave and I don't think they will. There are growing tensions with some eastern countries like Hungary and Poland. We should be using these times to build new allies and relationships with these relatively new members.

Nitrogen

If Poland left, then there'd be far less migration to the west, and the Brits might want to stay after all

owedtojoy

Polish government furious over censure that could see its EU voting rights taken away

SO ... are we building slowly to a #POLEXIT along with other eastern European countries?

Should we just go back to the EEC? Simply a trading bloc? OR some sort of 2 tier europe maybe?
Poland have a smaller economy than Netherlands or Sweden, so they would hardly be missed.

The country is a net gainer from the EU so would not even have the poor hand the British have. Poland heading off to make free trade deals independently of the EU? Don't think so.

I hope they are not that stupid, but you would never know.

razorblade

Poland has already suffered under 2 different tyrannies they sure as hell dont want to make it a 3rd.

robut

Vega1447

Poland has already suffered under 2 different tyrannies they sure as hell dont want to make it a 3rd.
Get a grip.

The Polish Govt are trying to breach judicial indepence.

The EU should just... do what exactly?

Ireniall

I am not up with the latest on what is happening in Poland but I would like to know what the basic reasons for the pressure on the Polish judges are because in my view our own judges are not under nearly enough pressure and are one of the worst performing arms of the state here. When you see serious crimes being carried out by people with very large numbers of convictions then you know that the legal system is simply not bothered about its responsibility to society and needs to be removed from the untouchable status which has been uniquely conferred on them.

If the Poles have decided to tackle some similar deficiency in that country then I cannot find fault with them. Unfortunately it is one of the worst aspects of the EU that this kind of corrosive legal stasis is so central to EU law and is so vehemently supported by Europe. I would hope that even if the EU wins on this fight with Poland that there might be other avenues explored whereby the judiciary are at least helped to avoid the kind of pitfalls mentioned above. Then again if there is any element of the Polish government removing judges who perhaps do not support dubious government policy-that is a whole other ballgame.

Vega1447

Stick its nose out of Polish sovereign affairs.
#

The EU treaties limit "Polish sovereign affairs" as they do German, French, ... sovereign affairs.

So long as the Polish people (not their Government) wish to stay in the EU, their Government must comply with the treaties.

raetsel

My reaction to Poland and their current flounce is "Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out!"

Poland's government is trying to impose a form of fascist control over its judiciary and cannot be allowed to get away with it. Kick them out of the club if they won't follow the rules.
If Poland leaves the EU it risks facing up to the return of hundreds of thousands of its emigrants, and the double whammy of the loss of considerable remittances home from them, and having to pay them unemployment benefits on their return home.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies