Police Assault leading to death of passer-by captured on video.....

Murra

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Very reminiscent of the Blair Peach's death during a demonstration nearly 30 years ago - and there has been no justice in that case to date.

Blair Peach

draiocht23

In the current climate this shows the folly of both large street protests and heavy handed tactics by the authorities. Some lessons for Ireland from this I think. If this were to happen in Ireland people would flip.
I don't think it shows the folly of large street protests. Everyone has the right to peacefully protest...or walk home from work in this instance.

Police behaviour, during these protests, can be appalling. There was that "robocop" Garda during the May Day protests in Dublin and the Italian police were complete brutes during the anti G8 protests in Genoa.

People always complain about the tiny percentage of protesters who use these demonstrations as an excuse for violence. Well, there is an equivalent kind of policeman who uses these occasions to beat random innocent people.

Luckily this was caught on camera.

I don't think it shows the folly of large street protests. Everyone has the right to peacefully protest...or walk home from work in this instance.

Police behaviour, during these protests, can be appalling. There was that "robocop" Garda during the May Day protests in Dublin and the Italian police were complete brutes during the anti G8 protests in Genoa.

People always complain about the tiny percentage of protesters who use these demonstrations as an excuse for violence. Well, there is an equivalent kind of policeman who uses these occasions to beat random innocent people.

Luckily this was caught on camera.

Yeh your right, people should be allowed to protest as desired. But what I mean above is that there is a time when it is dangerous to do so. Not because you may get a few messers in the pack. But at certain times, there can be such a tension, that there is a near certainty of widespread violence. It never improves the situation. Protests great- but restraint at times too. I also think a distinction should be made between a "protest" and a narrow self interest group causing obstruction in economic self interest. Compare Iraq war protest (widespread peaceful resistance) to the reaction to the Love Ulster march, the actions of the pensioners or airport workers causing passengers disruption. Im all far unions etc but the organisers of these things need to ask the hard questions beforehand. Pensioners didnt need to meet up for us to figure out they were pissed with medical card fiasco. But the Iraq war march was a good way to measure the widespread anti-war sentiment. Am I making sense here or going in circles? :)

draiocht23

Yeh your right, people should be allowed to protest as desired. But what I mean above is that there is a time when it is dangerous to do so. Not because you may get a few messers in the pack. But at certain times, there can be such a tension, that there is a near certainty of widespread violence. It never improves the situation. Protests great- but restraint at times too. I also think a distinction should be made between a "protest" and a narrow self interest group causing obstruction in economic self interest. Compare Iraq war protest (widespread peaceful resistance) to the reaction to the Love Ulster march, the actions of the pensioners or airport workers causing passengers disruption. Im all far unions etc but the organisers of these things need to ask the hard questions beforehand. Pensioners didnt need to meet up for us to figure out they were pissed with medical card fiasco. But the Iraq war march was a good way to measure the widespread anti-war sentiment. Am I making sense here or going in circles? :)
I think it was the sight of all of those frothing at the mouth OAPs that scared the living sh1te out of the government - especially our backbone-less backbenchers - last year.

Anyway, police - especially riot police - are supposed to be trained for this sort of thing. That's why they're called riot police (it's not just so they can wear black, brandish batons, fire tear gas and generally run amok!)

It was interesting the way the police were attempting to blame the protesters for this poor man's death as well. According to the video they said that they impeded medics reaching him - it was clear from the video that it was a protester who attempted to help him.

ajax1000

I say thank goodness for the police. People should not be allowed to protest. There is always trouble.

Eddie Collins

Follow link to see footage - from guardian website.

Video reveals G20 police assault on Ian Tomlinson moments before he died | UK news | guardian.co.uk

In the current climate this shows the folly of both large street protests and heavy handed tactics by the authorities. Some lessons for Ireland from this I think. If this were to happen in Ireland people would flip.
Jeez - it was a push to get him moving after several attempts failed - he fell over and later had a heart attack.

Hardly a vicious assault.

ajax1000

If he had not protested, he would probably be alive. I wonder how his family feels about his right to protest.

draiocht23

Jeez - it was a push to get him moving after several attempts failed - he fell over and later had a heart attack.

He was walking along with his hands in his pockets, looking perfectly happy before he was hit from behind with a baton.

Also, people have been prosecuted for murder when they punch someone, s/he falls over and dies.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Eddie Collins wrote:

Actually he was attacked [charged] from behind - and he had his hands in his pockets. If his hands had not been in his pockets he may have been able to cushion his fall somewhat, also he was batoned by the policeman. The person who charged this man was highly trained, and highly protected in anti-riot gear.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
.... and the police had been telling porkies prior to the publication of the video.

The point is they (the police) didnt show any effort (in the video or witness statements) to explain his being shepherded down street. Instead it shows the attitude of hostility and sense of entitlement to thrash anything in front of them. If its a sneaky push from behind for a man returning from out earning a living/working a job, what would be legitimate treatment to the american tourist who is filming them? It has being proven down the years that police (especially riot) are usually more then eager to deploy force. Like I said in the OP, with that tendency to violence on their part, both protesters and police must show some responsibility.......

If he had not protested, he would probably be alive. I wonder how his family feels about his right to protest.
he wasnt a protestor. He was returning from work, (and because he was dressed casually rather then corporately) the police said fair enough, hes fair game. I wonder how his family would feel about your comment????

Last edited:

Eddie Collins

Eddie Collins wrote:

Actually he was attacked [charged] from behind - and he had his hands in his pockets. If his hands had not been in his pockets he may have been able to cushion his fall somewhat, also he was batoned by the policeman. The person who charged this man was highly trained, and highly protected in anti-riot gear.
He wouldn't move away and was tapped on the back of his leg with a baton and then pushed. It was the duty of the police to clear their lines. He died from the later heart attack.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
It was an unprovoked assault by the policeman, leading to death - murder in my book.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies