• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Police officers cleared over 'monkey' and 'banana' remarks to colleagues

J

Johnny Boy

Police officers cleared over 'monkey' and 'banana' remarks to colleagues | UK news | guardian.co.uk

You have to wonder what you'd have to say to be considered a racist by the judge in this case. It is an appalling judgment.
Regardless, it is entirely unacceptable for police officers to behave in such an offensive way, and if there is any justice left in Britain they will be sacked anyway.

The Metropolitan police constables Kevin Hughes, 36, and David Hair, 42, were both found not guilty of a count each of using threatening words or behaviour to cause alarm and distress and one count each of racially aggravated harassment at Westminster magistrates court in London.

Hughes, of Brentwood, Essex, admitted saying a black man looked like a monkey but said it had nothing to do with his race and he was pointing him out during a discussion about evolution, the court heard.

He was also accused of saying black people were "more closely related to Neanderthals" but said he did not know what the word meant.

Hughes said he made the comments because he saw a black man with "elongated arms" and a gait like a monkey while out on patrol with three colleagues in Newham, east London, on 22 February.

The officer, who allegedly said black people had not evolved and "lived in mud huts in Africa", told the court it was "upsetting" that anyone would think he was racist.

fuque

Nothing to see here....move along.

J

Johnny Boy

Nothing to see here....move along.
Is this a scientific breakthrough? A voice from the distant past - straight from the mouth of Neanderthal Man.......................................

Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Is this a scientific breakthrough? A voice from the distant past - straight from the mouth of Neanderthal Man.......................................
Can you only call someone a Neanderthal if they are the same race as you?

collina

Police officers cleared over 'monkey' and 'banana' remarks to colleagues | UK news | guardian.co.uk

You have to wonder what you'd have to say to be considered a racist by the judge in this case. It is an appalling judgment.
Regardless, it is entirely unacceptable for police officers to behave in such an offensive way, and if there is any justice left in Britain they will be sacked anyway.
Hardly any suprise to find malcontents in a body as large as the Police Force. If it wasn't black people, it would be Jews or homosexuals who would attract their ire. Same with the Gardai caught making those "Rape remarks" on tape. Its not simple racism, its more like bullies finding the easiest target.

J

Johnny Boy

Can you only call someone a Neanderthal if they are the same race as you?
This is the internet! I cannot actually see you, or any other poster out there, so how would I, (or you) know what his race is?
Are all your questions this stupid?

J

Johnny Boy

Hardly any suprise to find malcontents in a body as large as the Police Force. If it wasn't black people, it would be Jews or homosexuals who would attract their ire. Same with the Gardai caught making those "Rape remarks" on tape. Its not simple racism, its more like bullies finding the easiest target.
I think it is simple racism. Policemen are well enough educated and get enough training in this area to realise that comparing black people to monkeys is widely seen as racist. Considering that, for generations white racists have been denigrating black people with precisely this sort of pejorative stereotyping, does anyone , apart apparently from that judge, really believe that the cop was basing the comment on the man's "gait" rather than his colour? His explanation sounds totally disingenuous and mendacious, and reminds me of the case last July, of the Ulster loyalist band who played the Famine Song (which is sung to the tune of Sloop John B) outside a Catholic Church, and then claimed that they really were playing the latter, and it hadn't occurred to them that it could be mistaken for the sectarian Rangers version.

Last edited:

Skypeme

Can you only call someone a if they are the same race as you?
And what race were Neanderthals? My understanding is that if "we all came out of Africa", (wherever "Africa" was), is it racist to call a British person, black or white, a Neanderthal? It may be insulting but it's not racist.

The problem is that there many on this site who are prepared to tolerate personal insults against individuals based on some physical features including hair colour, height etc, or where they come from ("BIFFO"), provided those on the receiving end are non-Hispanic Whites, preferably living somewhere in Western Europe.

ibis

He was also accused of saying black people were "more closely related to Neanderthals" but said he did not know what the word meant.
Obviously not up to date with the latest palaeontological news - turns out everybody but modern Africans interbred with the Neanderthals.

Old Mr Grouser

You have to wonder what you'd have to say to be considered a racist by the judge in this case.

It is an appalling judgment.

These two police-officers were found Not Guily because - as the judge said - neither of them had, by what they had said, committed the criminal offences with which they had been charged.

However, as the judge also said, ""Finally there can be no doubt that the MPS [Metropolitan Police Service] and the CPS [Crown Prosecution Service] have taken these incidents and complaints very seriously indeed."

It's a safe bet that there'll be disciplinary hearings and, if the allegations against them are believed, they'll both lose their jobs.

Twenty-odd years back this force, the Metropolitan Police, sacked a constable who was quoting Rudyard Kipling when he remarked to an Asian colleague, "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din".

(Alas, Gunga Din probably is incorrect by today's standards but, for those youngsters who've never heard of it, it's here - 48. Gunga Din. Rudyard Kipling. Modern British Poetry)

"

Potatoeman

And what race were Neanderthals? My understanding is that if "we all came out of Africa", (wherever "Africa" was), is it racist to call a British person, black or white, a Neanderthal? It may be insulting but it's not racist.

The problem is that there many on this site who are prepared to tolerate personal insults against individuals based on some physical features including hair colour, height etc, or where they come from ("BIFFO"), provided those on the receiving end are non-Hispanic Whites, preferably living somewhere in Western Europe.
It was raised in the report and raised in the case. Is it not applicable?

If intelligence is a job requirement.
You need to be careful firing people though.

statsman

It was raised in the report and raised in the case. Is it not applicable?

You need to be careful firing people though.
True. Suspended on full pay pending investigation.

J

Johnny Boy

These two police-officers were found Not Guily because - as the judge said - neither of them had, by what they had said, committed the criminal offences with which they had been charged.
That ridiculous logic reminds me of the famous, and hilarious Not The Nine O'Clock News parody many years ago, featuring Constable Savage.

Sergeant: Savage, why do you keep arresting this man?
Constable Savage: He's a villain, sir.
Sgt: ...A villain.
Con. Savage: And a jailbird, sir.
Sgt: I know he's a jailbird, Savage, he's down in the cells now! We're holding him on a charge of being caught in possession of curly black hair and thick lips!
Sgt: Savage, would I be correct in assuming that Mr. Kadogo is a coloured gentleman?
Con. Savage: Well I can't say I've ever noticed, sir.

[video=youtube;BO8EpfyCG2Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y[/video]

Potatoeman

I think it is simple racism. Policemen are well enough educated and get enough training in this area to realise that comparing black people to monkeys is widely seen as racist. Considering that, for generations white racists have been denigrating black people with precisely this sort of pejorative stereotyping, does anyone , apart apparently from that judge, really believe that the cop was basing the comment on the man's "gait" rather than his colour? His explanation sounds totally disingenuous and mendacious, and reminds me of the case last July, of the Ulster loyalist band who played the Famine Song (which is sung to the tune of Sloop John B) outside a Catholic Church, and then claimed that they really were playing the latter, and it hadn't occurred to them that it could be mistaken for the sectarian Rangers version.
He said it to a colleague. Are they trained in political correctness? Having stupid beliefs is not a good enough excuse to fire someone as they can sue.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies