Police violence in Catalonia

Barroso

Another example. This time, a photographer working for El País took pictures of police attacking and arresting a young man. Then they turned on the photojournalist and arrested him.
See the videos here.

Barroso

And finally for tonight, there is a huge collection of videos at https://catalanrepression.github.io/ showing the vast scale of the repression and police violence.
The Spanish government has closed various websites with .es and .cat addresses, so non-Spanish urls & vpns are being used now. It's probably only a question of time before you need a licence to use a vpn in Spain!

McTell

Twitter
No

The OD

How to birth a terrorist organisation - step 1:

Do what the Spanish police are doing right now.

They are going to kill someone with their violence from some of those video. Do they ever learn anything? All this will do is create martyrs and increase division and possibly escalate this into something much more sinister. I'm starting to think most police forces attract the sort of people who enjoy being able to beat people with impunity.

FFS......

toughbutfair

SPAIN is a fascist country and most of my Spanish friends are fairly fascist by Irish standards. Franco is supported by half the country and his party (PP) is generally the largest party in government.

The OD

Will the Eu save the Catalans or will they let the Spanish Heavy Mob work away ?
They will not get involved of course. But this is going the wrong way completely and shows how people will just ignore history when its not palatable.

This could end up being very, very bad for all concerned.

Barroso

How to birth a terrorist organisation - step 1:

Do what the Spanish police are doing right now.

They are going to kill someone with their violence from some of those video. Do they ever learn anything? All this will do is create martyrs and increase division and possibly escalate this into something much more sinister. I'm starting to think most police forces attract the sort of people who enjoy being able to beat people with impunity.

FFS......
4 people have lost an eye & 1 guy lost a testicle over the course of the past week, rubber & foam bullets/balls are being fired at the demonstrators.
By now, there are hundreds of videos on the web showing the police indiscriminately firing them directly at people, and beating and kicking people who are in no way a threat to them.
IMO they are trying to force a violent response so that they can then "justify" bringing in with the army.

There is a general election coming up, and Sánchez doesn't want to lose votes to the three rightwing parties, colloquially known as the "trifachito" - the "three fascist parties".
The main judge that heard the case against the Catalan leaders, Manuel Marchena, is reckoned to be "close" to the PP - Franco's direct heirs.

So Sánchez - who is probably very anti-Catalan himself, as most Castilians are - is being forced to show that he's a hard man in order not to lose votes to one of the "trifachito" parties. Some of his statements over the last six months or so have been pretty nasty, apparently he said to one Catalan TD in parliament in Madrid (can I call them TDs?) "Have you learned nothing?" when the TD referred to the political prisoners.
Moreover, Sánchez rushed to Barcelona today to express support for his heavy gang, one member of which is apparently in hospital. He was booed as he sneaked out of the hospital via the emergency area, the same way he entered.

Be that as it may, the crisis is getting larger for Madrid.
Although the European Parliament refused to debate the matter voting 299 to 118 against a debate (does it bring Westminster's refusal to debate NI to mind?) the Prime Minister of Slovenia has criticised Spain's handling of the situation. On top of that, there has been a big demonstration in Mallorca in support of Catalonia, 9,000 according to the organisers, 4,000 if you believe the police. Mallorca, like the other Balearic Isles and te Valencia region, are traditionally Catalan speaking, and have strong ties to Catalonia.

Dame_Enda

Another example. This time, a photographer working for El País took pictures of police attacking and arresting a young man. Then they turned on the photojournalist and arrested him.
See the videos here.
I wonder does this have anything to with the law the former PP govt were talking about introducing to suppress images of the security forces?

Barroso

SPAIN is a fascist country and most of my Spanish friends are fairly fascist by Irish standards. Franco is supported by half the country and his party (PP) is generally the largest party in government.
Very true. Outside of the Basque Country and Catalonia, both rightwing and leftwing parties are in favour of a centralised state, and cutting back autonomy; which is what has driven the last 10 years of protests and the independence movement in Catalonia.
A Catalan guy I met in Madrid told me that every Catalan should spend a year there - they'd be guaranteed to be in favour of independence afterwards.

Dame_Enda

Very true. Outside of the Basque Country and Catalonia, both rightwing and leftwing parties are in favour of a centralised state, and cutting back autonomy; which is what has driven the last 10 years of protests and the independence movement in Catalonia.
A Catalan guy I met in Madrid told me that every Catalan should spend a year there - they'd be guaranteed to be in favour of independence afterwards.
Podemos is an honorable exception, as they support a referendum though are also Spanish Unionists. This is part of why the coalition talks with the PSOE broke down.

Pyewacket

Oh great we have now have to care about Catalan independence. Having decided that irish reunification will only occur after 100 years from the GFA.

FFS. Catalonia does not want independence,, the Catalans who called for it with their illegal referendum are the exact equivalent of the DUP. Minority claiming to be a majority.

Dame_Enda

Oh great we have now have to care about Catalan independence. Having decided that irish reunification will only occur after 100 years from the GFA.

FFS. Catalonia does not want independence,, the Catalans who called for it with their illegal referendum are the exact equivalent of the DUP. Minority claiming to be a majority.
Well if they don't want it why not allow them a referendum?

Pyewacket

Well if they don't want it why not allow them a referendum?
Why not indeed? Why not allow Tommy Robinson a referendum ?

You could not give one shit about Catalonia you do not speak Catalan or Spanish, and are farting about because you have nothing else to do.

toughbutfair

The protests are not about independence, they are about jailing politicians who call for independence. They got longer sentences than the gang convicted of gang raping (la manada)

Dame_Enda

Why not indeed? Why not allow Tommy Robinson a referendum ?

You could not give one shit about Catalonia you do not speak Catalan or Spanish, and are farting about because you have nothing else to do.
Well I think given the govt of Catalonia is separatist and has been for years there is a mandate for a referendum. Tommy Robinson has never been elected to anything.

McTell

Twitter
No

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies