• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Dame_Enda

It's pretty clear that while they won't seriously intervene in the Catalan dispute, that neither do the other member states agree with Madrid's handling of it, so neither will they help the latter out particularly.

Even so, its on balance slightly better for the separatists to have a Leftwing Spanish government than a Rightwing Spanish government. Podemos historically has supported an independence referendum, while opposing actual independence.

Barroso

In May last year, the UN called for the release of the Catalan political prisoners. As we know, the Spanish government - the most progressive government ever as they call themselves - ignored that call.

Today, a new report by the UN has repeated the call for the release of the political prisoners.
The annual report of the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention recalls that Spain has not implemented its request to release the seven of the nine Catalan pro-independence political prisoners who denounced their imprisonment: Jordi Sànchez, Jordi Cuixart, Oriol Junqueras, Quim Forn, Josep Rull, Raül Romeva and Dolors Bassa.
I won't hold my breath while waiting for them to be freed, but the Spanish government is in good company: Turkey would be one of their colleagues in this instance.

toughbutfair

Spain is a fascist country with a dictator until the 70s. Every single person from Madrid that I know has fascist tendencies and none support the right of Catalonia to decide. Give the brits credit for leaving the Scots decide.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom