policing vindication of sinn féin peace strategy

factual

Anyone hear Matt Baggott's Radio Ulster interview? He is the new Chief Constable in the Six Counties. He comes across as a really sincere guy. He was selected by SF reps on the policing board of the Six Counties.

Interview with Matt Baggott:
BBC News - Dissidents 'like London street gangs' - Matt Baggott

Crime in Six Counties falls every single month from Oct2009:
BBC News - Figures show decrease in Northern Ireland crime

Road deaths at 50 year low
BBC News - NI has first month without road death since 1986

And now of course in the last week policing and justice powers are voted to be devolved to the six county government.

All of these dividends have followed in the light of Sinn Féin's policing support, a fundamental part of the peace strategy

Sinn Féin deserve credit for this.

Last edited:

British Citizen

Shootings - down
Bombings - down
Murders - down
Kneecappings - down
Car jackings - down
Bank robberies - down
Street violence - down
Smuggling - down
Drug dealing - down
Rape - down
Child molesting - down

Now I wonder why all those various crimes are not as common now as they were ten years ago......... MMMmmm.......

YoungLiberal

Shootings - down
Bombings - down
Murders - down
Kneecappings - down
Car jackings - down
Bank robberies - down
Street violence - down
Smuggling - down
Drug dealing - down
Rape - down
Child molesting - down

Now I wonder why all those various crimes are not as common now as they were ten years ago......... MMMmmm.......
I believe it is a vindication of the 'Republican' and 'Loyalist' 'stop committing crimes' strategy. Novel, really.

Lucan Lefty

Shootings - down
Bombings - down
Murders - down
Kneecappings - down
Car jackings - down
Bank robberies - down
Street violence - down
Smuggling - down
Drug dealing - down
Rape - down
Child molesting - down

Glad you agree that the peace strategy is working. ;) And that list is a nice read to see such things have dropped in %, happy days.

British Citizen

I believe it is a vindication of the 'Republican' and 'Loyalist' 'stop committing crimes' strategy. Novel, really.
And should we be blowing smoke up their @sses because they have decided to behave like the rest of us law abiding people???

jdaly

And should we be blowing smoke up their @sses because they have decided to behave like the rest of us law abiding people???
A man was shot in Meigh, co Armagh last night by 'robbers'. The strange thing is that there are claims that he and his brother had bested some 'good republicans' the previous night in a fight. Coincidental, isn't it? Maybe kneecapppings simply have a different title now.

picador

A man was shot in Meigh, co Armagh last night by 'robbers'. The strange thing is that there are claims that he and his brother had bested some 'good republicans' the previous night in a fight. Coincidental, isn't it? Maybe kneecapppings simply have a different title now.
Report what you know about this criminal behaviour to the police.

jdaly

Report what you know about this criminal behaviour to the police.
Ach now, picador, sure some of those involved (in the fight, that is)might well be much closer to the police and dpp members than I am.

jdaly

That is immaterial.
So, factual, you now speak for the bull fighter, picador?
What is immaterial? 'That' is a demonstrative, antecedent or relative pronoun as well as, in other circumstances, a demonstrative adjective or adverb; 'that' is so useful as to make me wonder why you deem 'that' to be immaterial.

SevenStars

I think Id actually prefer the Brits to stay directly in charge of policing than having the likes of Picador and British Citizen control it.

picador

I think Id actually prefer the Brits to stay directly in charge of policing than having the likes of Picador and British Citizen control it.
Yes, you'd rather have Westminister in charge than people from the island of Ireland. And the British Army walking the streets backwards. We know!

Last edited:

factual

I think it is best for to leave it to the people of the six counties to determine.

picador

So, factual, you now speak for the bull fighter, picador?
What is immaterial? 'That' is a demonstrative, antecedent or relative pronoun as well as, in other circumstances, a demonstrative adjective or adverb; 'that' is so useful as to make me wonder why you deem 'that' to be immaterial.
I think what factual was trying to say was that if you have evidence about this crime, you should report it to police rather than to members of an Internet forum and that furthermore, the closeness of the relationship between you and the police on the one hand, and between the police and those who you would have us believe are guilty of this crime on the other, is immaterial.

jdaly

I think what factual was trying to say was that if you have evidence about this crime, you should report it to police rather than to members of an Internet forum and that furthermore, the closeness of the relationship between you and the police on the one hand, and between the police and those who you would have us believe are guilty of this crime on the other, is immaterial.
Now you,re speaking for factual, a real Laurel and Hardy act. You think I should go to the police with what I've heard? That seems to be at odds with what you believed a few weeks ago about Gerry Adams abd his brother Liam; then, if I remember right you thought there was no need for Gerry to go as someone else had done so.

picador

Ah now, don't use Gerry as an excuse for your own inaction.

Wile E. Coyote

I think it is best for to leave it to the people of the six counties to determine.
Surely as a member of a party that claims to be Republican, you mean leave it to the people of Ireland to determine? Or has the mask slipped?

tiocfaidh

Anyone hear Matt Baggott's Radio Ulster interview? He is the new Chief Constable in the Six Counties. He comes across as a really sincere guy. He was selected by SF reps on the policing board of the Six Counties.

Interview with Matt Baggott:
BBC News - Dissidents 'like London street gangs' - Matt Baggott

Crime in Six Counties falls every single month from Oct2009:
BBC News - Figures show decrease in Northern Ireland crime

Road deaths at 50 year low
BBC News - NI has first month without road death since 1986

And now of course in the last week policing and justice powers are voted to be devolved to the six county government.

All of these dividends have followed in the light of Sinn Féin's policing support, a fundamental part of the peace strategy

Sinn Féin deserve credit for this.

Factual, there was a busy thread here last week about the chargeing of 4 men with gun possession after a single gun was found in a car. I pointed to the similarity between the arrests of Bobby Sands, Joe McDonnell, and two others under similar circumstances. I argued that a law that allows for multiple people being charged with possession just because all were in proximity to it, with no other evidence, is unfair. I asked for Sinn Fein's opinion on that law but got no response. Since you now bring up policing, I raise this question again. Can you please clarify SF's present position on this law, and, if SF's position has indeed changed on this since 30 years ago, can you please explain why?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies